1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Copying a FOB to RFID Sticker

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by That guy, Jul 7, 2022.

1. That guy

That guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

Just joined to ask this question:

Can I copy my FOB onto an RFID sticker so I can ditch the FOB and use my phone to unlock /start the car?

I am open to learning how to do it myself and get the gear on Amazon but am also curious if anyone has tried Minute Key Kiosks. I see they can clone FOBs and I see they have RFID stickers.

Is there any danger to erasing or fouling the FOB? Ido have two of them...

Would love some support on this. I am trying to slim down how much stuff I carry and the FOB made into a sticker would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Older vehicles used static codes for keyless entry. These static codes are inherently vulnerable, as any individual can capture and replay them at will to lock and unlock a vehicle. Manufacturers later introduced rolling codes to improve vehicle security. Rolling codes work by using a Pseudorandom Number Generator (PRNG). When a lock or unlock button is pressed on a paired key fob, the fob sends a unique code wirelessly to the vehicle encapsulated within the message. The vehicle then checks the code sent to it against its internal database of valid PRNG-generated codes, and if the code is valid, the car grants the request to lock, unlock, or start the vehicle.

Shamelessly copied from:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/i-tried-the-honda-keyfob-hack-on-my-own-car-it-totally-worked

If this is how it works with Toyotas, then an RFID woudn't work, since they are fixed. If you do find a way, or if you establish that some ways don't work, we'd like to hear about it.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The fob contains both an RFID chip (used when you shove the fob into the slot in the dash, works even if the fob battery is dead) and a wireless transmitter for remote operation and smartkey operation (only works with a good fob battery).

I suspect you would be able to copy the content of the RFID chip onto another sticker. It would probably work if shoved into the dash slot. But then, the sticker might not really have the right shape to shove in that slot.

The wireless remote part surely uses codes you can't just copy onto a sticker.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like it might start the car but not unlock the door.