1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cordless electric lawn mowers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by briloop, May 16, 2007.

1. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 16 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]443804[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry - I forgot to get back to this - it's aB&D CMM630 Convertable Mulching Mower. We liked the mulching capabilities; no bagging, no landfill, etc.

As others have pointed out, corded ones will be cheaper and more powerful, plus you don't have to worry about keeping it fully charged (nor any environmental impact from the battery when it dies). If it's a smaller lawn, and you can deal with the cord issue, it's probably a better bet. My wife did not want to deal with the cord. I did not want to deal with the lawn. Now we're both happy.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcooper185 @ May 18 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]444876[/snapback]</div>
    My Neuton is a 2004...same year as my Prius. coincidence??
    Lawn is .3 acre. very standard sized. Front takes 20 minutes, back takes 45 minutes. Usually with the mulcher blade and plug...sometimes bag if really tall grass. No probs with one charge doing it all...plus the add-on trimmer of maybe 15 minutes worth. what a great machine!
    standard kentucky bluegrass, twice a week in spring and once every 10 days during the hot summer.

Get the Neuton and the trimmer. Very versatile. A bit small cutting width (maybe 14 inches?), but you just get more 'clean' exercise.

3. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have a corded mower, my husband loves it so much more than the Gas one. I hated having the gas in the garage all the time. I've been trying to talk him into getting rid of the grass (at least in the back yard) Hell, we live in the desert!!! I dont like all the bugs associated with grass. Though we did plant some cactus this spring!

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My first experience this morning with my new Neuton. I LOVED it! It's about half as noisy as a gas hog. They say it's so quite you can hear the birds chirp but that's a lie. Still it's much easier on the ears and it's quiet enough where you could hear someone talking to you.

My mulcher is on back order but grass be damned. I cut it and if it the clippings brown and look icky, I could care less. I hate grass.

I was short on time this morning, so I only mowed the front yard. Probably for the best as my grass was very long (about 4 to 5 inches) and was very wet with morning dew. I was fearful that this combination would be too much for the mower, but it spliced right through it. I have a variety of grasses coming up. Some are very thick and I didn't experience any problems.

I was also fearful of how the mower would welcome twigs and such. It has enough power to handle the encounter. I had just planted an oak tree and had mulched under it. The area also has remnants of the norway maple that I cut down, like the wood chips. The mower handled this area equally as well.

The only problem I experienced with the mower was went I wanted to move something out of the way like my garbage can. I have to remember to keep the handle squeezed firmly or the mower shuts off. The slightest release seems to shut the mower off. I'm going to be getting a velcro strap to wrap around the handle so that this doesn't happen.

I would highly recommend this mower based on my experience. The pro's are the environmental benefit, lack of regular maintenance required, lower noise pollution level, nice clean cut, powerful enough for typical grass cutting jobs, extremely light weight (the battery weighs more than the mower I think), ease of starting the machine, storage is easier than a gas hog as it's smaller, less expensive to operate than a gas hog and it's cute, even cuter than your Prius!

The con's are a narrower cutting swath and that you have to keep the handle pressed firmly to keep the mower running.

I could see where someone may have a problem cutting around fence lines as the blades are recessed in more than a traditional mower. In this case, I would recommend the edger. Me, I'm just going to kill that section of grass and put in more native flowers, etc. They also sell blade sharpener kits so you can self perform the blade maintenance.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ May 18 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]444954[/snapback]</div>
    That Neuton handle looks like a bummer to operate, but counteracting any safety feature, especially a dead man's switch is never a good thing.

The Black and Decker cordless CMM1000 has an easy to use lift bar which I can keep engaged with less than a pinky finger's worth of squeeze.
    The newer cordless CMM1200 looks like they reverted back to using the same easy to use switch arm design from the corded models.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide...lview=4#details

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 18 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]445070[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't have any problems with it while I was doing the actual mowing. The only problems I encountered were when I went to lean and move something out of the way. I'm assuming I'll get conditioned to this, eh?

Your comment about modifying a safety feature are duly noted. Thanks.

7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ May 18 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]444954[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the comments on the Neuton. According to FedEx, mine is on a truck and should be here in a few days. I ordered just the mower package to see how it does in the 6 month trial before getting the accessory kit.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I bought a YardWorks 24 Volt cordless reel mower and their cordless trimmer, 18 Volt. I don't have a large yard and it's flat with one step down to the sidewalk level. In front I mow across then an angle cut both ways. It came with a grass catcher or you can just mulch. I catch and the city composts which they sell to landscapers. Last weekend I did the front lawn under the bedroom window and didn't wake the wife. After both front and rear and the trimming I plugged both chargers into my WattsUp Pro and charged till the chargers shut off and the total cost was 9/10ths of a cents worth of electricity. Paid $199 for the mower and $75 for the trimmer that came with 2 batterys. Mower model # 60-1535-8 trimmer model # 60-2257-0

9. c4

c4 Active Member

My lot is jsut over 1/3rd acre, and my Crappy Tire 24V electric mower, which is they claim can do 10000-15000 sq.ft lawns on a single charge can just barely finish the front yard on a full charge, when at the highest cut length (ie longest grass left = least effort for motor), and in side discharge mode.. If you put the mulch plug in or cut shorter, then it runs out of power even quicker..

I don't know if I got a set of bum batteries with the mower that just don't hold a sufficient charge, or if I've got some sort of really hard to cut grass species, but I'm about to give up on this thing and just get a gas powered lawn tractor because I really *HATE* mowing the lawn and having to split the job up into two days (so that I can recharge the !@%!! batteries overnight) is completely unacceptable..

I had better luck with four 12V 7.2Ah batteries and a Gardena battery powered rotary mower, which produced an absolutely great cut, but was useless on longer grass, so you had to mow twice a week instead of just once.. This weekend I got so POed at the stupid thing that I just got out the weed whacker and buzzed the whole back yard.. It's uneven as heck and I hit the dirt a few time, but at least I got it done in one session.. The more I think of it, the more I'm leaning towards a lawn tractor.. I save enough gas with my Prius that I think I'm entitled to use some towards reducing my lawn care time and frustration level..

Anyone want to buy a couple of battery powered mowers??

10. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use a Friendly Robotics robot lawnmower which uses a 24 volt pack to mow most of the lawn in about an hour while I do the rest with a Scott's Reel mower. No gas, no smell, very little dust and pollen stirred up and very quiet too compared with stinker mowers. If I let it get too high or I decide I want to bag it I have an older Sears corded electric mower in a more traditional shape.

11. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ May 18 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]444954[/snapback]</div>
    What is so bad about turning it off? The nice thing about electric is you don't have to "start" it so there is no penalty to stop the motor to move things and actually you save your battery because it isn't running "idle" while you move stuff.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newts @ May 21 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]446670[/snapback]</div>
    I read that it's not good for the mower to shut if off and then start it up right away. I'm not sure if it's a drain on the battery or what, but that's what I read.

13. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ May 20 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]446411[/snapback]</div>
    well you talked me out of the Gardena reel so I bought the CT mower instead ( $210 less when you have to buy the Gardena catcher ) and when I'm done the yard it's not down one LED on the charge indicator, so you possibly have a bad battery.
    Edit: I have it set on the lowest height setting. Shave that grass.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Black and Decker is famous for killing the top battery (they are stacked).

I ran mine for two years with a bum battery and cursed its "range" the whole time. Now, after getting new batteries last year, it works really well.

Nate

15. c4

c4 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 21 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]446738[/snapback]</div>
    The Gardena reel mower had an absolutely beautiful cut- your lawn quite literally looked like an exclusive membership golf course afterwards, but even with the battery, it was not very good in longer grass so you had to cut quite often, which is fine if you happen to live in a new subdivision with the postage-stamp sized lots, but it's soooo not for big lots unless you really, really, really love mowing your lawn.. As I said, I had four of those brick-sized 12V 7.2Ah batteries that I went through to mow the lawn with the thing, and I had to do it twice a week during growing season to keep it all under control..

Being committed to the battery and electric thing, I got the highest-end Canadian Tire 24V rechargable model last yeat, and was rather disappointed that it could barely handle just my front lawn before the batteries were exhausted, despite its literature claiming that it should be able to do my whole property.. It got so bad, that the latter half of last year, I just gave up mowing the back half of the back yard and just let the grass and weeds grow (much to my rear neighbor's chagrin).. This weekend, I put a set of those metal weed blades on the weed whacker and just buzzed the whole back yard, including what was left of last year's weeds and got it all done reasonably fast and all in one session.. Up close, it really looks like hell, but from the upstairs bedroom window it doesn't look too bad..

I may try a new set of batteries, but this morning, I got to talking with the next-door neighbor and asked to try his riding mower and I think I'm sold.. His lot is a bit bigger than mine (1/2 acre vs. 1/3rd, but he's also got a circular driveway in front which means his front yard is tiny by comparison) and I did the entire yard, front and back in half-an-hour vs. the almost two hours (not counting the overnight battery charge- so about 45 minutes for the front lawn, and another hour in the back) it takes to do mine with a push mower.. Not to mention that unlike the effort of having to push a mower around for a couple of hours, driving the little tractor around was actually a heck of a lot of fun!! I've got a few more trees in the back than my neighbor does, but I think I could still do my whole property in 15-20 minutes on a riding mower.. I do want to reduce emissions and save energy, which I why I've gone through two battery-electric powered mower systems, but I think my extreme *HATE* of yard work (and I'm talking a real Nazi, goose-stepping kind of hate- no disrespect to anyone here, but there's just no other way to describe my extreme antipathy for gardening) has finally pushed me over the top.. This reduction in time and effort is a big plus in my mind, especially on very hot and humid summer days where even if you get out at 7:00 AM, it's so humid that you're covered in sweat just stepping out the door, never mind having to actually exert some physical effort.. I even got out the classified ads section of the paper today looking for used lawn tractors and I've got an online search going as I type this..

To all the environmental extremists out there, sorry, but I recycle, I have 99% fluorescent lighting, I drive a Prius, my new job allows me to ride a bike to work in the summer, saving even more gas, so I therefore think I'm entitled to use some of my quota on a lawn tractor to make my life easier.. I *did* look at that John Deer electric lawn tractor (one of the barns in our area has one, and they basically go all day on a charge so I was quite impressed), but at $50k CDN, I'd rather buy a new Prius than spend it on a piece of equipment that I'd have to do *more* vs. less yard work to justify.. So, unless someone can come up with a way around city bylaws that would allow me to keep my horse on my property ("That's not a horse officer, you've heard of bio-diesel right? Well, that's one of those new "bio-mowers"..), by this time next week, I'll probably be the owner of a gas guzzling, emissions spewing riding mower..

16. Frank Hudon

I don't blame you at all and if you only have to cut it half as often even better. A lot of the Honda powered ones nowaday's meet California emission specs for off road power equipement so it's one to consider. What does your neighbour drive? a SUV? if so your still 4 times as green as him.

17. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had two and thy're great. I didn't want to deal with gas and kids .... The one I have now (@ six years or so) is a Black and Decker, no problems, plenty of power, and always ready to go.

18. Liberanos

Liberanos New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have used my new Neuton CE-6.2 mower twice now and so far so good. Better than good actually. It is replacing my Honda Harmony which is still excellent after 11 years and starts with one pull. The wheel height adjustment on the Neuton is a snap. It's quiet and non polluting. But I have a small beef with the marketing. The parent company is located in Vermont. They like to say the Neuton is "Born and Raised in Vermont, battery powered Neuton mowers are a reflection of the simplicity, ingenuity, and values that define Vermont." (page 6 of the spring catalog) There is not ONE WORD anywhere in the web site or any of the printed material that says where the mowers are made. My UPS shipment began in Portland Oregon which prompted me to ask them through their e-mail where exactly in Asia these mowers are made. Taiwan. I have no problem with that actually unless I think of the mower on some bunker burning freighter all the way from asia to Oregon then diesel smoking UPS truck from Oregon all the way to Michigan:rant: Am I ranting? I'm not that environmentally scrupulous (yet) but I know some on PriusChat that are:p
    Here's a tid bit. Over 17 million gallons of gas are SPILLED each year refueling lawn and garden equipment. The Exxon Valdez spilled less. One more...a gas mower spews 87 lbs. of the greenhouse gas CO2 and 54 pounds of other pollutants into your air every year. These facts and figures are another part of their marketing and I can't imagine how to verify them but just FYI.
    Peace,
    Paul

19. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a Black & Decker 24-Volt Cordless Mower, and can't say enough good things about it!

It's relatively quiet, you don't need to prime it, pull that starter cord thing, mess with oil changes, gas, tune-ups. You just turn a safety key, then pull a lever and it mows!

I have a 1/4 acre lot, and it mowed it no problem on a single charge.

Eventually I want solar panels on my roof, so it will also be a very clean way to mow the lawn.

PS - I also recommend this cordless electric hedge trimmer/edger/blower combo I recently purchased, which works well and is a steal at $170!

20. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looks like you are spot on, this is a clip from comsumer reports for cordless electric mowers, the Black & Decker is at the top of the list.

[​IMG]