1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla Hybrid - Change my mind

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by farmecologist, Feb 27, 2019.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    2urt5r.jpg

So I was poking around for 2020 hybrid info and came across a few previews/reviews. It looks like a fantastic package! In fact, I'm seriously considering it instead of the Prius as our next vehicle. I like the fact that it looks like a normal car, has the full safety package, has carplay, has a spare tire, the wheels look nice, etc... I will miss the digital readouts of the Prius though.

And overall it also looks like a pretty sweet deal! I wonder if we will be able to find deals/markdowns on them in the future.

BTW - there are lots of 'reviews' and first drives out there on youtube now. Take a look! I liked this one :

#1 farmecologist, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks promising!

OTOH it is in an odd position. At $22k, 121hp, and 52 MPG it is an odd compromise. I guess the actual selling price would be lower.

If economy was the goal the Ionic can be had for around $18.5k and has a better warranty on the car and especially on the battery. It also has some cool features like the ability to jumpstart itself, no traditional 12v battery and predictive driving (cool feature, Toyota hybrids are only reactive).

Edit: Some Toyota models do have predictive, see a few posts below.

I guess the Honda Insight is the most direct competitor with a similar price, similar milage and about 30 more horsepower.

For just a little more money ($25,320 list price) one could have an Accord hybrid.

Of course the Prius is also an option as well.

#2 CamryDriver, Feb 27, 2019
    kenoarto likes this.
  3. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'd be tempted to buy an Ioniq to save money or an Accord hybrid to have a bigger nicer car. It really depends on actual selling price.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I can start a Corolla Hybrid thread to store all the reviews. I’ll do it tonight.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’ve always liked the Corolla, so I can’t really help.
    I guess a test drive is in order

6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah...I know there are always alternatives. However, I'm sold on the reliability of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive. I'm just not sure I trust Hyundai and Honda for the long haul ( yet ).

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's like when people would compare the non-hybrid Corolla to the Prius or even the Yaris to a Prius. They're completely different cars. Now with the hybrid corolla, if you want it, go for it.

In my case, I wouldn't ever give up the hatchback. Having a trunk doesn't work for so many things that I do. When I rent cars, it usually has a trunk, and I absolutely hate it. Big wasted space unless using it and then my suitcases rarely fit side by side so one ends up in the back seat anyways.

I've also found the Corolla interior to be terrible, forever. This newer generation looks much better. I haven't driven one yet. But I prefer my Gen-2 interior to the Gen-3 and also to any current Corolla.

The Prius is gigantic. If that's what you want, go for it. If you just want a cheap sedan, go for the Corolla. It's the same car otherwise.

8. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also sold on HSD reliability, keep in mind I drive a Hybrid Camry.

That said I'd be happier if Toyota stood behind their cars as well as Hyundai does theirs. I'll still be paying on my Toyota for 2 more years after the warranty is up.

Honda is known for their reliability, certain problem children excepted. The price of the Corolla is just too close to the Accord IMHO.

#8 CamryDriver, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prius Prime, the Lexus UX and the new (2019, second generation) Rav4 hybrid have Predictive Efficient Drive:

"What if a vehicle could teach itself to operate more efficiently? That’s the concept behind the RAV4 HV’s Predictive Efficient Drive. With navigation system operation, it analyzes driving habits and the expected road and traffic conditions to optimize hybrid battery charging and discharging. The more the RAV4 Hybrid is driven, the more data is gathered to help optimize fuel consumption. (The system can be turned off.)"

#9 royrose, Feb 27, 2019
    Arctic_White and CamryDriver like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not a sedan guy, so i guess i changed my mind. can't think of any reason to but=y a corolla. smaller, no hatch, similar money

11. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like the Corolla Hybrid is for someone who secretly loves the Prius but doesn't want to be seen by their friends driving one...

12. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Fingers crossed it's just a matter of time before the US gets the Corolla hatch hybrid. My #1 reason for buying a Prius had nothing to do with the powertrain, I just wanted a Toyota hatchback.

13. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately, the Corolla hatchback is much smaller than the Prius or the Corolla sedan: about a foot shorter in length than the Corolla, 2.4 inches shorter in wheelbase with 3.5 inches less legroom. That's a tiny back seat area.

#13 royrose, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was wondering where all these "Corolla is smaller" statements were coming from, the current, 2019, model has 7 more cubic feet of cabin space than the Prius. Yes, as a sedan, it loses out on cargo space, but fully filling that up is a minority use for owners of these cars.

But...

I found that the 2020 Corolla is up on Fueleconomy.gov, and it is listed has having 9cu.ft. less cabin space as the out going model.
    Compare Side-by-Side

There is no Corolla hatchback hybrid at all at this time. There is a sport wagon model that has a hybrid option, but the US doesn't even get the ICE one.

Arctic_White likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hummm, so it is essentially a Prius C replacement?

16. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sort of but not as practical. Not a hybrid (as of yet) and a more "sporty" shape meaning less rear leg room.

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

If you like the looks of the new Corolla and it meets your needs and price go for it.

It's built on the same platform as the Prius just packaged different. I don't know how many mechanical parts they share but my guess is a lot.

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius c/Aqua replacement will be a Yaris hybrid when that model's redesign comes around. The US likely won't get it if the market trends and fuel prices remain as they are. We likely won't get the non-hybrid either, and will be lucky to get a Mazda2 hatch for replacement of the Toyota.

The Corolla hatch remains, because hatchback sales are doing better than sedan.

19. Arctic_White

Arctic_White Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually love the Corolla hybrid. It's extremely fuel efficient, has a massive gas tank (1,000+ km range) and it will remain extremely reliable, similar to a Prius.

I'm happy that Toyota is offering a Corolla Hybrid; it will be a winner.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  20. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I second this.

Its been noted elsewhere that this muddies the Prius brand as the 'premier' Toyota hybrid. The best suggestion I've seen is that Toyota should switch the Prius to PHEV and/or BEV versions only and let the Corolla Hybrid fill in the old HEV Prius niche.

Honestly, its only a matter of time until HEV becomes the base vehicle option and pure-ICE only vehicles become a special throwback niche.