1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla/Matrix suspension compatibility

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Erik Martini, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was recently looking in to changing the suspension on my 2004 Prius to adjustable coil overs, most likely the Megan racing coil overs. However, after looking around on this forum I’ve been wondering if the aftermarket coil overs for the corolla/ matrix will fit. There are a lot more options for the Corolla/matrix then for the Prius.

I’ve noticed that many on here have eluded to the components working ie sway bars, but what of the struts themselves?

Also if it is possible has anyone tried it?

2. caravan2429

caravan2429 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it should be similar or even the same. Only difference is spring rate and shock setting.

Landon51 likes this.
  3. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fair enough, the Corolla coil overs are significantly cheaper than anything I’ve found for the Prius so I’m concerned that no has tried this out. I did notice that the oem part numbers for the struts are in fact different, so that does concern me a little. I would still love to find someone that has tried to fit a Corolla strut into a Prius.

Landon51 likes this.
  4. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're in the San Fran Bay area, ill go to a salvage yard with you and we can test that hypothesis out 8)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  5. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I had the time I'd do that myself, trying to even find time to do research is hard enough. I did notice in a post by member prius70 untitled "going lower...inserts" he mentions in passing about using corolla struts and how smooth they are, the fact that he can push down on the front end and have it come back up. Something along those lines. It was such a brief mention that I missed it a few times I read through.

So with that single reference I might just have to bite the bullet and order some corolla lowering coilovers and hope they work out with little to no modification.

SFO likes this.
  6. caravan2429

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes different part numbers don't really mean the compatibility. Just a kind of classification to be easily found.

7. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point, I’ve studied the various pictures of both struts and they do look rather similar. If I do end up getting the Corolla suspension I’ll be sure to post any updates.

8. caravan2429

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my information, gen 2 Prius platform shares with Corolla but with some modifications. Front and rear suspension parts are essentially the same as Corollas but with different settings. For example, diameters of sway bars, different spring rates and shock hardness. on Prius, for the purpose of weight distribution and ride quality. Toyota engineers made some changes on it but generally speaking, if you are not expert in the area, you can not find significant or even slight difference between them. They should be compatible.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  9. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much caravan, at least now I’m more confident in purchasing the coil overs. If I do get them, like I said, I’ll post the results here.

10. Freefall Prius

Freefall Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Eric, did you ever get a chance to continue digging on the Corolla suspension items and if they will fit your Gen 2? I'm in the same boat and searching for answers on suspension upgrades.

11. Erik Martini

Erik Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm afraid not freefall, I did just talk to my mechanic today in regards to the suspension compatability, he said that they are very similar but there are subtle changes to the coils and spring rates. But when pressed about if they would mount with all the existing bolt holes he was unsure. So I'm still in the same boat, I'm leaning towards just biting the bullet and getting the corolla suspension and trying it.

12. Freefall Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Erik, I wrote another reply earlier today in response to a thread about Suspension Upgrades. You should be able to find it with a quick search.

There are so many good posts here from the past, it can be overwhelming. But, several years ago, Justdidit really tricked out his Gen 2 and used Bilstein Shocks and Struts (Bilstein B8 Series for an 03 to 08 Corolla). He took great picks and also posted part numbers.

The only difference is he was interested in lowering his Prius (and did an awesome job). But I'm interested in raising my car an inch or so for better ground clearance and still want to upgrade with a quality suspension system. Type in Bilstein and you should be able to find that 2 or 3 year old thread.

Whoever designed this site really deserves a big thanks bc it is very easy to find information (if it's contained in a prior thread).

13. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Corolla struts will not fit a Prius. I spent a bunch of time in a you pull it junkyard yard trying to figure this out. The mount to the steering knuckle is where the parts differ.

I have found a solution for lifting and stiffening a Prius.

Heavy Springs And Lift Upgrade | PriusChat

14. Freefall Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very interesting. Heading over to your other post to read up.

15. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to verify that you are stating that the front wheel knuckles on Toyota Corolla 2003-2009 model year are different geometry than Toyota Prius Gen 2 model year 2004-09.

Kaptainkid1 likes this.
  16. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes,

The mounting surface for the strut are different thickness.

17. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    but will the rear corolla struts bolt in?

18. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe?

I did not compare the rear struts when I was at the U Pull It yard. Looking at Rock Auto's spec shows they are very similar.

Another option to look at would be springs from a 2005 or 2006 Corolla XRS. This was a sporty version those springs might firm up the suspension without raising or lowering a Prius.

19. Moerice

Moerice New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Will the AWD matrix 2009 complete rear shock fit the 2009 Prius? Your thread is about the Prius rear shock modified using matrix spring, the top is the same for both, but is the bottom bolts thickness the same? You would know, you had both in possession.