1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla/Prius catalytic converters: Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by levca, Mar 30, 2021.

1. levca

levca New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 Prius and fell victim to the catalytic converter thieves last night. The replacement is backordered for two weeks(!!!). I was looking at parts available at my local auto parts shop, and they have new certified catalytic converters for 2008 corollas that look, to me (nonmechanic), identical, and are ~$1,000 less expensive. I figure that even if the piping is slightly different (diameter, for instance), that could be adapted for <$1k and in <2 weeks. Since they're both Toyota it seems unlikely to me that they'd design two completely different catalytic converters that are the same shape, function, and model year.
    Question: What differences might there be between a Toyota Prius vs Toyota Corolla catalytic converter that I'm not thinking of? Could I use a Corolla converter to replace my stolen Prius one?
    P.S. I live in California where there is a strict smog regulation called CARB. It basically means you must buy a certified aka Toyota OEM part or you won't pass smog checks -- even if the car's exhaust is ok. So the options are very limited here.

Edit to add:
    Toyota part number of what I need is:
    Prius: 1741021500
    Corolla: 1741022500 (close enough to above??)

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please make sure to do a follow up post with lots of pics so others can see exactly what needs to be done to adapt it. You could help alot of people in California with stolen cats waiting on back order lists with an idea like this.

And probably get the muffler shop that does the work to also do the smog inspection when the time comes would be wise as well.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have to admit, forward of the resonator, it looks mighty close, if not identical to the Prius model. After the resonator, it has different pipe bends. Wonder if it has the O2 sensor bung in the right spot? Also, it is unlikely to have the correct model number on the actual catalytic converters. The Prius ones are stamped GD3 and EA6.

ColoradoCrow and PriusCamper like this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely if a mechanic/muffler shop would touch this given the CARB legal issues, likewise for a smog technician. But do look around.