1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla the "new" Prius C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by jimnjo, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Why mess with success? The Aqua is pretty much the F-150 of Japan. It sells in ridiculous quantities. It's been the top of the charts since release, with only the smallest tweaks and facelifts.

Sure, Americans don't go for it, but that's just a local situation.

2. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your reply doesn't make sense towards my comment?

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm saying that the c/Aqua sales are so strong in their home market that they are right to do whatever that market wants. And it seems like the Japanese market has been satisfied by minor facelifts and feature tweaks. Might be a while yet before they really update it.

4. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ok but you replied to my comment with "why mess with success"? My comment doesn't talk about messing with the Aqua? I was just pointing out the obvious which is fuel price are low which impacts Prius models sales in the US market.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I should have quoted this bit only. My entire comment was in reference to this portion of yours.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe. Puzzling thing though: I don't much care where gas prices are. Knocking down the liters/100km (or conversely raising the mpg), sitting silent at red lights, that stuff is addictive.

7. PCSpaceShip

PCSpaceShip Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Every female that gets in my 18 c tells me how ugly they are and how I should have got a carolla hatch. I was next to a new carolla hatch at the red light and its looks like a c with rounded mazda hatch and a huge fugly Lexus grill. But I'm jealous about the six gear shift I'm predicting mallenials wont buy the manual transmission and 5 years from now it will look ugly like the matrix does now.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A Gen 2 Aqua has to happen soon. Production from 12-19 and the new HSD System 2 has made some big jumps in MPG. All the hybrids will be running the new tech on the next gen cars. The RAV4 get it's first and is hitting 40mpg+ on tests

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, I get what you're saying. Interesting details you've shared. All I can add is to point out that the current generation was introduced with (essentially) previous-generation components despite the availability of newer technology. I don't know exactly why they did that. But if they happened to do that to control the final unit price, then I kind of want them to either do it again or delay doing it at all. They are great cars at good prices.

10. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think they did it because they want to not use all there ammo so we buy the next gen lol. We all the new EPA rating is false and is a estimate. No way it gets 43 MPG on the HWY. The HSD was a bit more advanced than the 3rd Gen Prius? Do you mean engine having roots in the 1/2nd Gen? The 1NZ-FXE your right the thermal efficiency is 37% vs the Gen 3 engine 2ZR-FXE 38.5%. The new Dynamic Force engines are at 41%. The one thing the C did get was a more advanced warmup EGR system. Toyota would need to make a Dynamic Force 1.5L and use a compact HSD System 2 to get the C into the 60mpg+ range on a EPA test. The only thing for me is no tow rating. A small tow rating turns the C into a truck. I tow with it now carefully and in the UK the Prius is rated for 1600lbs of towing. It would be nice to have but no way they will here. I need to get a RAV4 Hybrid which has 1750lbs here in the US

11. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    That's so true. It IS addictive. I just came back from the Blue Ridge mountains and my little sweet thing got 49-51 mpg even climbing those hills and it zoomed right up the steep inclines. I was tickled pink.

When I got home, the display told me that I spent $10.45 to travel 220 miles.

What's not to love!

Castanea, Mendel Leisk and dubit like this.
  12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Why in the world would Toyota give us another Prius C?

The entire Prius "brand" as I said earlier sold barely 6,000 cars last month. There are quite frankly numerous choices out there now if your looking for a hybrid. It's not the days of old when a Prius was the ONLY option. If indeed they would give the North American market another "C", it'd probably be the Corolla hatchback - but I still think that's a stretch with what consumers are wanting to buy right now.

I say give the people what they want, and a car isn't what they are wanting.... (I'm a bit biased here on the side of Toyota & their dealer network having spent most of my life there)

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...and it's so easy to get a car loan nobody is being pushed to make a decision relative to their needs and finances. Instead everyone is being hustled into something well past the point of classical affordability and then has to decide really difficult things like colors.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ever hang out at a dealership? My own observations/guess is that 2% or less of the people who walk through the door are looking for a car. It's an SUV or Pickup they want. I still say it's an individuals responsibility to decide what they need and can afford. I wouldn't want someone pushing me into a Prius Prime because I only drive 25 miles a day and it's what my needs and finances say I can handle. I wouldn't buy it first and foremost because it's just friggin "Aztek Ugly". :ROFLMAO:

This is definitely a subject which can go both ways though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The Corolla Hatch hybrid has been on sale in Australia for a few months. Each of the three trim variants of the Corolla Hatch has a hybrid option. The cheapest of the Corolla Hatch hybrid options is just a touch cheaper than our higher trim level Prius c i-Tech, leaving our base model Prius c the cheapest hybrid in the line here.

The actual tech on the cars is a bit of a confusing matrix but it's notable that the Corollas all have the modern safety tech marketed here as Safety Sense (Lane Departure warnings, Pre-collision safety systems, Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic High Beam and Road Sign Assist), none of which are on the Prius c line.

16. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    All models of Prius may be heading out the US market. News article stating Toyota Prius (all models) no longer selling well in the US (less than 3200 across the board for Nov-down double digits sales from a year ago). From all the articles I have read, the Prius C has 3 worldwide nameplates-the 'C' in the US, the Aqua in Japan, and the Yaris hybrid in Europe. Toyota may discontinue the sale of the Pri in the US but still sell Pri in other countries.

Toyota struggles to save breakthrough Prius hybrid

17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Europe Prius was newer a seller, I think Prius served it's purpose, that is to make a hybrid drive option in every Toyota model. It's good to see reviews of Lexus UX 250h with the conclusion that hybrid is just better to drive compared to UX 200. If I see similar results with the new RAV4, then I say Prius succeeded.

Rob.au likes this.
  18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Like I've said in other threads...the thing that is worth saving is the Hybrid Synergy Drive. It is a marvel of engineering simplicity...and has been proven time and time again. Heck, I still see tons of Gen2's on the road...and I live in a 'harsh' environment ( Minnesota ).

Frankly, I could care less if the Prius goes away...IF I can get another model with HSD that gets equivalent mileage.

Rob.au, GasperG, dubit and 1 other person like this.
  19. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Off topic ----

Just seen your location David. Your just down the road. You have anything to do with that Prius place down there in Scottsburg? Heard them mentioned here on PriusChat quite a few times. Anyways, just wanted to give a nod to a fellow Hoosier.

Discussions back on topic may now continue. :)