1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla to Prius gas tank swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rivieraman71, Mar 3, 2019.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Riverman thank you so much for the posts. If one our other PC members (non USA) like (UK, Canada, and so on ) could maybe document or show their Gen2 fuel system might give insight. I do know that the Prius C 2012models and up (1.5L) are a non bladder setup. I will do so research as well...
    Sounds like a signal or evaporative system issue . I think that "Hobbit" Prius PC member in his techno-fandom link has a detail breakdown of the start up cycle . The Gen2 has to heat the catalytic converter to temperate and inverter cycle for 12V aux battery to charge . If you have access to OBD2 scan tool to use without having to put the vehicle in "ready mode".. .. and lot auto parts places will lend them out . Please list any DTC codes...…..thanks

#201 NortTexSalv04Prius, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Rivieraman71

Rivieraman71 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After I put the bladder tank back in the car it wouldn’t start. Every light was lit up on the dash and it wouldn’t go into “ready” mode. I had to disconnect to battery to reset everything and the car finally started. Unfortunately I lost all the codes disconnecting the battery. I think the computer wasn’t happy. Definitely seemed like a evap issue. Toyota has the most complicated emissions setups out off any brand from what I’ve read.

#202 Rivieraman71, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 2007 parts car I own is a Canadian car. Pretty sure it's a bladder. I thought all North American were bladder for Gen 2. If someone finds anything different, let me know.

Prodigyplace and SFO like this.
  4. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you take a pic of the underneath of the gas tank? If I can see the tank I can tell whether it’s a bladder tank or not.

SFO likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Photos...can you tell it's from up north...…….

Attached Files:

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, that’s definitely a bladder tank!

Prodigyplace and SFO like this.
  7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ....and the experiences he has gained too.

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you get to know its a bladder tank? What feature underneath the tank you looking at ?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you considering trying this next?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, that I'm a bit late to this party, but I believe that the engine is not starting. I think that what is happening is that the engine is being turned over by the MG. It does this for about 15 sec. You can test this, if you dare, by pressing the accelerator while it is in this phase. If the engine is truly running, it will increase in RPM; if it is not running nothing will happen when you press the accelerator. As your battery is already at 1 purple bar, I'd caution against anymore restart attempts until you can put some charge back into the HV battery. If this theory is correct, you should have P0A0F – Engine Failed to Start, P3190 – Poor Engine Power and/or maybe P3191 – Engine does not Start. Check the fuel rail pressure and that the fuel pump is working.
    Pretty sure this is correct. The only sales territory to use the bladder in the fuel tank was the NA one. All other sales territories in the world have no bladder in the fuel tank on the Gen 2.

It would be a shame to have to bail now. I kind of feel in my gut that you are almost there.

11. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the non bladder tank has a different shape

12. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right before the engine kicked on I heard the fuel pump come on and it sputtered for about two seconds until I got fuel into the lines. The engine shut off after about a minute. I put my foot on the gas and kicked back on again but this time for only about 30 seconds and that’s when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. You could hear the motor fluctuating in RPM a little bit. To my ear it sounded like it was going between 700 and 800 RPM especially since the exhaust was disconnected. After that time the motor shut off I couldn’t get it to come on anymore unless I shut the car down and restarted it and the motor would come on again and run for about 10 seconds and then would shut off and then after that even if I put my foot on the gas nothing. The last time it ran for 10 seconds I went to the screen and it showed that the engine was charging the hybrid battery but the bars weren’t going up.

What had me worried was the battery being so low at one bar. So I put the Prius tank back in connected everything and when I went to start the car it was like it was in a limp mode, every light was lit on the dash and the hybrid battery wouldn’t even click on. I disconnected the 12 V for about five minutes reconnected it and everything was back to normal. Car runs fine now. I think I might be done with this project for now maybe someone else would want to give this a shot. Maybe the whole problem was my hybrid battery being so low.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps the computers expect the exhaust to be connected.

audiodave likes this.
  14. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had it running without the exhaust prior to the tank swap and no problems. Plus with the corolla tank in I couldn’t connect the exhaust in the back.

#214 Rivieraman71, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  15. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Noooooo! But if I have donor car to do that, y not?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These locations ….. (review) evaporative system connection locations(maybe already done). Fuel trim and pressure … should get pressure at fuel rail. I am unsure about the OEM wire harness and wire color code and pin out match...... review … also vacuum pressure need deep dive survey....

17. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    evap connections seemed fine. The wiring harness was a Prius one and all the sensors and wiring connections matched the Prius. I’m just not sure what the car was not happy with after the swap.

18. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O2 sensor is the "expect" of the exhaust

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did both systems use the same fuel pressure? Pretty sure the Prius just dead heads the pump with no return flow system. Was the replacement designed for the same method?

20. Rivieraman71

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both the Prius and the corolla don’t have a fuel return system. I’m not sure if they have the same fuel pressure or not.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.