1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Corolla Touring Sports 2019 presented

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by telmo744, Sep 4, 2018.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

What an ugly nightmare of a design! Those wheelses look like they were stolen from a ex-slaughterhouse mincing machine. (…stops to look further at link! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek:) …OK, all you expertses, I wonder what its drag coefficient might be?
    "The wagon has a refined, sensuous appearance and the sweeping roofline of an elegant yet robust shooting brake. This sporting profile is reinforced by the wide, flared wheel arches, their edges hemmed to allow the positioning of the wheels further outwards to emphasise the new Corolla's wider stance and lower centre of gravity.

To the rear, the Touring Sports design theme showcases muscular rear shoulders, widely spaced, full-LED lamp clusters and a slanted rear windscreen." :eek::eek::eek:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! What marketing HyperBilgeCackSpeak is that?????? Thank the Lord that I'm not in the market for a new chariot!

PS: I think I see a nod to BMW there at the back end!

bisco likes this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …and "Under Priority Catamaran" …what the hell does that mean? :confused:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the design theme for some of the new Toyotas such as the Corolla (and all its variants), the Camry and the Avalon.

The "catamaran" is the design cue of the front bumper where there are sharply defined "aero corners" for aerodynamic purposes and the centre of the front is blacked out to give the look of a catamaran.

e.g. the Camry SE/XSE models. The painted areas is "raised" in the centre because the lower centre of the front bumper is blacked out.

[​IMG]

"Under Priority" is the design language where the bottom of the bumper sticks out and is given an aggressive look. When matched with the "catamaran" design, it exudes a more powerful and performance-oriented design.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I know why they won't sell it in the US :D Europeans find this kind of design normal and popular.

It's is strange that US don't get the hybrid version of Corolla Hatchback, I would think that 180 HP 2.0 hybrid would be a nice option, any word about it?

bisco, Prodigyplace and qettyz like this.
  5. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True that. For example Auris wagon what is at my profile pic is quite popular here in Finland. There is wagon model available from every manufacturer and they sell nicely.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Our cheap fuel makes hybrids a tough sell. The sales of new models we get are making up for the loss of Prius sales.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Marketing. I think they're pushing the Corolla Hatchback to younger buyers and not necessarily hybrid owners. (Again, doesn't make sense.. you'd think you want the younger buyers to grab onto hybrid ownership but, eh, what do I know? I'm not in marketing)

A 2.0 litre hybrid would be nice - In the Canada/US, that would be like an "XRS" model.

In the US, fuel is still relatively cheap so filling up a V6 or V8 SUV/truck isn't particularly painful. In parts of Canada, fuel prices are much higher than in the US but we're still buying SUVs and trucks - albeit more of the 4 cylinder and V6 models but the trend is still there.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ¡Ay caramba! That's a hot little wagon. I'd love to get something like that. Small station wagons have done me well for the past decade... just enough towing capability, just enough internal cargo & pax room. With so many station wagons disappearing I've been worried that there won't be anything left when the time comes to replace the Outback we have now.

Maybe we'll get this one someday in the USA?

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem, the anti-global warming crowd has too much money. Let them burn up their pocket change.

Bob Wilson

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Younger buyers have less cash in addition to the cheap fuel.
    But they are taking us with them.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Calm my friend, we are part of the same species and biosphere. Sometimes "Americans will always do the right thing after they have exhausted all alternatives."

Bob Wilson

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am calm. I've accepted that is already too late to do anything about global warming.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same, i can finally buy that dodge charger i've always wanted.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    V60 T8 PHEV? (Yeah it's pricier than the Outback)

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Didn't know Volvo had one, interesting. Unlikely to fit the budget. Barring disaster I'm still 3.5 years out from buying, but on the other hand I will likely be buying a 3 year old car, so whatever is surfacing now is still of interest.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The European makes are the only ones that have reliability offered wagons in the US, and they even call them such. You may not see a BMW or Mercedes wagon on the road, but they are for sale on their sites. Cadillac might still be following them on that front.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the only plug-in wagon that I know of. The others are sedans (330e, C350e, E300e) or hatchbacks (e-Golf, A3 e-Tron, LEAF)

There is the pricier V90 T8 PHEV as well. (and the SUV equivalents)

18. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mercedes C350e exists in SW version, and Kia Optima PHEV also. At least in Europe...

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Good to know anyway. The V60 Cross Country was the one and only Volvo I'd had my eye on. I rented one a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. Many of the same favorable attributes as my old Outback plus better seats.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to recuse myself from the minutia of the debate.
    But just say at first glance, I like the looks of the vehicle. I'd need to see it in person, and I'd like a 360 view. But it looks like a pretty sharp looking hatchback.
    I may be prejudice because I like hatchbacks.

If it ever was sold in North America, USA...I'd want to take a look. As someone who enjoyed their Prius, and now enjoys a Honda Fit, that Corolla hatch, as a Hybrid would seem to be a perfect combination. A little bit "Prius"...a little bit "Fit".