1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corporate vs personal cell phone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Instead of being issued a 'beeper' (do they even make them?), our team was each issued a corporate cell phone, iPhone 6 with unlimited data plan. Ok but 'the powers that be' started complaining about 'over use of the unlimited data plan' and there has been at least one employee marched out the door because of the 'racy pictures' of his 'girl friend' found on his. Heck, I'd bought a protective case good to 6ft under water with my after-tax money since if it got wet and stopped working, I would have to pay for it. In effect, it became:
    1. Limited use
    2. Something whose content led to people being fired
    3. An expense to my pocket, the protective case
    4. Won't sync with older Mac iTunes at home
    So two days ago, I got a used, iPhone 5s with 64GB. Yesterday, I closed out my flip-phone, pre-paid, and a wireless hotspot into my iPhone 5s service contract. All of my apps have transferred along with the CD music I'd saved to a an early iPad and via iTunes, my older Mac:
    1. Unlimited use for my purposes
    2. It takes a court order to open my phone
    3. My expense is mine to use
    4. Synced perfectly with older Mac iTunes and all of my music CDs (do they make CDs anymore?)
    So the corporate iPhone sits in the cardboard box on my desk. I'll put it on charger when I am on call and during my week, I'll carry it around in the original box. All personal Apps and content have been deleted. In effect, it has become a business-use only phone. But I may turn it into a robo-call, honey pot.

A honey pot is a computer system set up to attract the 'fruit flies' of the internet. Robo callers have replaced SPAM that is now effectively handled by 'white-list' filters. So I'll set the ring-tone default to be very, very faint (me laughing my nice person off) and put custom ring tones for the 'white list' numbers.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my kids hate having to have two phones. one convinced the company to use personal with fixed monthly reimbursement. neither work in classified industries, but some info is private, especially hr.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a company phone that is an Iphone. I don't know what the model is, cause I'm an android user. I only use the work phone for work. I use my phone for my personal use only. In all my jobs that required company issued cell phones, I always had my own phone.

4. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great idea. I'm off to set it up on my phone right now

5. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Company phone came with 24/7 emails from the boss with their ideas and questions "for discussion first thing" Monday morning.
    I declined the offers.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Work phone goes on silent and sits on the charger in the armrest as soon as I get home. It comes back out when it's time to go to work.

It has never been in the house.

bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're a little more humbly equipped with phones, although we do also get last-years tablets and notebooks.
    I use my company (5c) only to receive text messages because unlike certain political figures that I won't name here, I'm actually required to keep an air gap between company and personal electronic data.
    SMS forwarding is frowned upon by policy.

Otherwise my COU phone would remain @ my desk.
    Interestingly enough, forwarding my voice calls is (still) considered to be OK by the powers that be.
    Not wanting to repeat the mistakes of certain political figures that I won't name here......I checked. ;)
    Therefore my 5c remains in its company provided OtterBox case and resides in my notebook case until a warbling tone advises me that there is a trouble ticket inbound - or some other company broadcast message like.....not to text and drive.
    Always a favorite when I'm on the road.

The 5C has been used as a backup for a proper phone (Droid) a few times, which makes it more functional than a pager, albeit one that is still amazingly frustrating to use.
    There are two things I actually like about the 5.
    1. It has a for-real physical, mute switch.
    2. Good battery life. (probably because of how it's used)

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My personal flip-top phone, Sony Ericsson, served well until the BMW i3-REx, preconditioning app came along. So my wife's home phone announced my calls because of the number. Having moved the number to a personal, 5s, she still gets the announcement and I also have remote control of our BMW i3-REx.

But like you, the company phone now sits on the desk or is carried home in the box. At work, on charger but otherwise, in battery stress test mode.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when my partner and i were in business, we had 40 company phones assigned, to the tune of about $3,000./mo., which we eventually were able to negotiate down to about $1,200. with at&t.

employees were free to use them personally, and i don't recall ever hearing any complaints. but often, the boss is the last one to know.:rolleyes:

10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is why I got a dual sim cell phone. 2 different ring tones for 2 different lines so you know by the ring tone which line is ringing. 2 different backgrounds for each lines so you know right away which line you're dialing out of. Easy to switch between lines. I don't know why the US doesn't embrace dual sim phones.

bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is likely because phones weren't sold to consumers, but to the phone companies.
    Having Verizon unlock your phone so you could take it to AT&T is a recent development in the US.

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You would think the carriers would embrace dual sim phones because they don't make money on the phones. They money on the service. Having dual sim phones means the carriers can push 2 lines to customers while using only 1 device.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, part of our service fees are for covering the cost of free phones and upgrades.

But few people would take the two lines. Most of the people with a business and personal phone don't own the business. The business line could be paid for by the business, but I expect most businesses wouldn't want their data and info going onto a personal phone.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From what I can tell about our IT Security policies, they don't want 'corporate' information going to the employees either.

Bob Wilson

Trollbait likes this.
  15. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    All too true. In some ways, I don't blame the corporations for this stance due to the nature of the beast that is the American civil court system (you can sue someone for literally ANYTHING in the good old US of A). However, it's a gigantic inconvenience for everyone involved that corporate IT insists that everything should always be on lock down all the time.