1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong... (new Gen1 owner)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by S Keith, Sep 11, 2015.

1. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    From what I have gleaned from Priuschat...
    • Grid charging a Gen1 is a viable approach to rebalance. Keep the current low (350mA works well for me given the plethora of 350mA LED PSU... and the 400V or so that I have available). Run the fan or do it out of car with some form of cooling. Watch for module swell. Based on 38*6 cells and 1.475V/cell open circuit on charger, I need to supply about 336 volts.
    • There is some limited benefit to traditional "refurb" efforts on battery modules such as cylcling and discharging to eliminate voltage depression. YMMV.
    • Module replacement is viable but iffy due to Gen1 module tendencies to leak and cause corrosion. Gen2 cells can be used to rebuild a Gen1 pack if all modules are replaced.
    • In general, Dorman refurb packs are unreliable.
    • If you want new modules, the only option is Toyota.
    • Minivci is a special cable with an ASIC processor and a bootleg copy of Techstream. 2.0.4 is needed for Gen1. It can readily assist with diagnosing traction battery issues with block voltage and resistance logging.
    • There is a CSV file for Torque Pro that gives similar results to minivci, but it has a slow refresh rate.
    • Gen1 owners are the friendlies sort on the board.
    Has there been any work done on deep discharging modules or packs? I have more experience with Honda Civic Hybrid packs than I care to admit, and those buggers typically give 20-25% capacity improvement with a single grid charge and deep discharge.

I'll have a "new" '03 in the driveway tomorrow. with P3000 and P3030. Can't wait to get my hands on the pack.

Thanks for reading. Any cautionary tales, constructive comments, alarmist warnings of impending failure/stupidity or "please learn from my mistakes" lessons are greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You'll eventually need the shop manuals and schematics:
    • Volume 1 - diagnostic
    • Volume 2 - how to repair
    • Schematics - to understand what all the parts are doing
    I prefer paper but the Toyota Tech services will provide accesses for a fee and you can print what you need on demand. This is a good place to get details found in the margins of our copies or learned at the 'school of hard knocks.'

Bob Wilson

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you need to rebuild your traction battery, I suggest you buy G3 modules if you can - since G2 modules are starting to get old, 9 years on average.

Regarding new modules - it is possible that some aftermarket suppliers can provide new - because it appears a Chinese supplier is producing them. However this is not necessarily going to be at the same quality level as original equipment modules.

Regarding G1 or Classic owners - I don't know if they are the most friendly, but they certainly have to have a high tolerance for quirks and weirdness displayed by their vehicles.

4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Bob/Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm a paper guy too, so I'll probably look for that. I have only seen speak of Gen2 cells for the Gen1. I'll keep my eyes open for information on the Gen3 substitution.

I'm aware of chinese suppliers for the Honda IMA subpacks, but I've never heard of it for the Prius. I'll keep my eyes open for that as well.

High tolerance for quirks? I'm a Honda IMA owner. I have that skill highly refined... :)

Thanks again,

Steve

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I have found some other references. While I understand it is likely not optimal at all, can Gen1, 2 and 3 modules be mixed within the same pack?

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Idk of anyone who has tried it. The two problems I can think of with doing that is that they are slightly different shaped and the internal resistance between Gen 1 and Gen 3 modules is significant and will likely cause voltage variations that trigger DTC faults. I'm sure it can be done if you're willing to deal with the headaches it may cause and overcome the size differences. In the past we referred to this idea as a frankenpack. lol

To my knowledge, no one has ever tried it but it has been discussed and theorized.

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I have a line on a full Gen2 pack for $350. I may be yet another guinea pig. I'm thinking that they might work interspersed within blocks shared with Gen1 modules. That might minimize the differences the car sees. Module geometry would be another matter entirely.

Thanks again,

Steve

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, the battery controller reads them in parallel. It might work but it is very experimental. However the slight terminal lengths may require a custom buss bar solution.

I would suggest keeping types paired with strongest in middle (highest heat) and best Gen 1 modules on the end(s).

Makes debugging easier too.

Bob Wilson

10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks again guys. I'll digest that thread and incorporate your suggestions.

11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Interesting read on that thread. I've done a similar process dozens of times in Honda IMA systems. I had to stifle my knee-jerk reaction to reply to the Insight pack discussion.

The Gen1 is now in the driveway awaiting 12V charge and OBD data collection.

Thanks again for the input. I hope I have something to add to the community.

Steve

#11 S Keith, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I've started troubleshooting...

Duracell SLI151R 12V is on the charger... very thirsty for juice. Not sure it will recover from being deep discharged.

I'm using a 12V, 30A PSU to supply the car with 12V power. I have the open voltage at 13.8V. I am disturbed by the ignition OFF load on the battery. I have a DVM on 10A setting working as a series ammeter. Ignition OFF current varies binarily between 0.8A and 0.35A. It's like two different settings. The cooling fan on my PSU reacts to those two currents with different speed settings. Is this normal?

Lastly, with the ignition ON, should I read pack voltage at the main terminals? I read 0V.

Thanks,

Steve

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The quiescent current draw should be around 0.03A (30 mA). Make sure that all doors and the trunk are closed and locked before doing this measurement.

Regarding "pack voltage", I assume you are referring to the traction battery. The system main relays need to be activated before voltage can be measured. Hence the Prius must be READY. If it is IG-ON, the relays may not be activated. In that case you would need to open up the battery. Also pay attention to the orange traction battery interlock switch. When properly engaged, the lever pivots 90 degrees, then is slid to lock in place.

14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Dear Mr. Wong,

Thanks for the idiot check. Yeah... doors and trunk closed... NOW! :)

Draw is now at 40mA.

The interlock switch is in the trunk. Lever from up to horizontal and pull towards rear to remove. Install is reverse, lever horizontal, insert, lever up.

Thanks,

Steve

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Patrick is right. IG-ON only turns on the accessories. To turn on the main relays, the car has to be in READY if I remember correctly. However, the brake controller may run the accumulator pump if you push the pedal. Warning, it can draw a lot of amps, more than 10 A.

You might disable the trunk light (assumed on,) and measure the OFF state current draw. Past reports are 35-45 ma as part of the memory keep-alive.

My old man memory remembers something else.
    I thought the NHW20 does that. My NHW11 just pivots with just a midway, half lock position.

Bob Wilson

16. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    PSU is 30A, so it didn't have any issues with any ignition on activities. Car never showed ready.

Interlock at 2:20:

I estimate this pack has sat for at least two months based on the conversation with the previous owner. I pulled the cover while still in the car and checked several modules (too heavy to get out of the car myself and no one in the house with sufficient upper body strength to assist). Many were extremely low, and bus bar corrosion was rampant. I'll try to get it in the house this evening and start looking in earnest.

Here's my plan:
    • Clean up the bus bars.
    • Record the as-removed voltage
    • Grid charge the pack at 350mA with my charger set to 322V (1.41V/cell) to peak voltage (NTE 24hr).
    • 1 hour following grid charge disconnect, record module voltage and IR.
    • Discharge each module at 20A to establish the baseline capacity.
    • Decide what's next.
    Lastly, how are these typically numbered?

Thanks,

Steve

#16 S Keith, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From the control electronics, 1-38. Although there are unique serial numbers embossed, a felt-tip pen works good.

Caution, minimize exposure to light as the plastic does degrade under UV. Not fast, just avoid exposure when not working on it.

Bob Wilson

#17 bwilson4web, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  18. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks Bob...Module 1 is... 0.33V... whole pack was 63V. This is going to be an uphill battle.

Modules were shaded when the cover was removed in-car, and now they are basking in my 72°F office.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Correction... Module 1 was 0.154V... Not sure where I got .33. Was when I was fiddling around with the pack in the car and probably got confused.

Min: .0.04V
    Max: 7.26V

AVG: 1.44V

Yeah... ick.

Google Sheet for Data

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you would be better off planning to replace all 38 modules now unless your idea of fun is to be going in there regularly to replace modules (which actually might have been your hobby since you've owned Honda hybrids in the past.)