1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct Procedure for going up and down mountain grades?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cary1952, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the best technique for driving interstate in mountainous areas with many 6% grades?

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you set your cruise control for the speed limit, on the downgrades, engine braking will engage to slow you down. Don't be alarmed to see the HV battery icon full - this is normal. You can also "tap down" the set lever for more control.

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Go like hell on the downhill to gain a run at the uphill :cool:

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I set the cruise control at the posted speed limit and let do it's thing. It will easily keep a steady uphill speed if you just let it alone. On the down hill it will also take care of itself provided the grade is not so steep as to disengage the cruise. If that happens it will go into "B" mode and you will want to gently apply the brakes to maintain a steady speed.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On interstate highways I just set the cruise control and let it take care of the speed.

6. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's actually what I did on our maiden voyage in our new 2013 Prius 4. I disengage cruise control and let it rip down the mountain. I sometimes apply a little pedal to just before the center line on the eco gauge (or whatever it is called) to keep the speed up by using the battery. However, as you know, once the battery is full, all excess regeneration is wasted, so I try to let the car coast as fast as possible (10-25mph above speed limit depending on the grade) so not to waste the energy. I realize that when you coast it doesn't save any more gas if you go 70 or 90( if the energy meter is already at 0), but I like to make up some time for the sometimes very slow climbs. Luckily I did not get any speeding tickets.

Going up hills, I sometimes climb at 50-60 mph, trying to keep the energy gauge out of the red area as much as possible.

Going from California to South Dakota is 90% of the time you are dealing mountain grades of some sort either up or down. I used the cruise control very little. My longest downhill coast was on a 6% grade for 12 miles. I hit 90+ miles an hour (with a tailwind) and had to use some braking, which I wish I didn't have to do. I just let gravity do its thing.

By the way, we averaged 52.1 mpg on a brand new car (had picked it up in Denver last week) for our 2800 mile trip with this technique. Best tank was 55mpg and worst was 46 mpg. I have no idea what we would have averaged if I just used cruise control more, but imagine it would be somewhat less. I just can't imagine trying to climb some of those 6% grades at 70-75 mph. The engine really strains. We did the last 1300 miles in 22 1/2 hours including 3 1/2 hours at many rest and food stops with a dog. So are traveling time average about 70mph. With lots of 55 mph climbs and 85 mph coasts.

Mostly drove 3-7 mph below 75 mph speed limit (except coasting down hills where we would hit 80-90 mph). Air conditioning was on most of those miles. (It was 109 in Las Vegas, and in the 90's most of the trip). Had tires at 42/40 but ride was too harsh so I dropped it to 40/38 and that was much better. Soft-Tex Seats were very comfortable for driving and loved the power lumbar support. Even passenger seat was very comfortable, especially when you reclined it and had a bed pillow for your head. Enjoyed the JBL stereo, with my iPod, satellite and blue tooth.

All in all we were very pleased with the new car and spent only $180 in gas for 2800 miles.

7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I don't expect that the car will have any problem doing this though the engine will be noisy and fuel use will correspond to the hard work.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My procedure

Up the hill floor it
    Down the hill enjoy it

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car climbs the I-70 grades no problem at 80 miles per hour. Those are the steepest interstate grades in the country.
    If you set it to cruise control you are going to be sorely disappointed. You need to punch it up the hill and B mode down.

10. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting.. Some of you say to put it on cruise and let the car take car of it. Others say that cruise control is not the best way. Some say to punch the throttle. They can't all be effective techniques.

JMD likes this.
  11. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I

I normally back off on the speed when going up a steep hill (10 to 15 mph below the speed limit). That's because I like to keep my engine power output somewhat constant and use a lower gear ratio so to speak (even though CVT has no gears) to climb hills. In some places, a truck lane is available for trucks climbing at a lower speed. I normally would hop on to that lane and get behind a semi but not following too close. This would reduce some air resistance as well.

I do not recommend using cruise control in landscape where the slope is too unpredictable. The car has no eyes so it's better for you to take control. Whether you floor it or take it easy while going up a hill depends on if you care about the mpg. If you decide to floor it, I'd suggest do it before you get to the hill and not after you started to climb. If I'm not mistaken, by flooring it you'd drain your traction battery much more and that would give you room for regen while going down the slope at a later time. You probably should do some experimentation on your own and decide which one is best for you.

12. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My technique resulted in a 52.4 MPG average over the coarse of a 2,400 road trip. This included elevations of over 8400 ft. and some BSL. The OP begs some au contraire responses. So, as g4_power suggests, it would be best if you formed you own conclusions on what is best for you. In the long run I think the MPG average is a good measuring stick.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are truly going up and down mountain passes, without being aggressive from the get go you will not maintain speed and will have to move over into the climbing lane. I dislike perpetrating the stereotype that Prii are slow and always in the way. The Prius when driven properly up steep grades at high speeds works better than most vehicles with 4 times the power because of the awesome "gearing" of the PSD.

If you do not plan to climb the hill at 80mph, then by all means back down, but over long grades your battery will deplete (normal) and when you need to punch it you will have no power. The car has enough power to maintain your speed up the steepest slopes, but it does not have enough power to accelerate to speed up the steepest slopes because you cannot rely on having any available power coming from the battery.

I live in the Rocky Mountains and I-70 and other back road passes are the normal for this Prius half of the year. When they aren't covered in snow, the Prius has no problems.

If you want to drive for max mpg there is only 1 correct technique but you will be killed by road rage drivers. You accelerate down a hill lightly, do not allow regeneration. You pick up enough speed so that on the way up when you crest the hill you are barely moving, like single digit mpgs. Rinse wash repeat. We know this to be the most effective in theory because of math and physics on how the Prius maintains efficiency, but it is demonstrated by the high mpg rollers like Ken@Japan with his 100mpg+ tanks, some over hilly terrain.

14. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

What do you mean in your first paragraph by being aggressive?

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you baby it up the mountain, there will come a point where you will have to floor it. You are just prolonging the inevitable. And when this point comes, if you are doing 50mph in the right lane, you will forever be doing 50mph in the right lane unable to accelerate until you crest the hill.

If you drive into it knowing this will happen you can maintain speed at 65mph, 70mph, 80mph, or even 85mph. When the power drops out you can then maintain this speed until you crest the hill. The speed limit on most of the road is 65mph, traffic flows between that and 90mph. If you are going half that speed in the crawler lane even the 18-wheelers will get pissed off at you.

16. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have found that cruise control results in a loss in mileage of about 10%. That being said, long trips on flat roads are survivable only with cruise control. I just finished a 1500 mile trip to Victoria, BC. I got just over 61mpg on the way over (state highways, 60mph speed limits, no CC, but a 5000' pass). Coming back was freeway all the way with three lower passes and I got right at 55mpg. I used CC for about half of the return trip, but not on the passes. There is a lot of info on PriusChat and some of it is even accurate. You need to see what works for you.

17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The faster you go up the hill the worse your gas mileage will be. You can not change the laws of physics. Better to back off up the hills and go faster down. Try to build up speed before the climb and use momentum to get you part way up the climb.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

JMD likes this.
  18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hmmm, lets see, $500++ average for a speeding ticket (++ for the increased cost of insurance and "driver ed" due to the ticket(s) ). How much fuel could that buy and would speeding down the mountain be fuel efficient at that rate?

19. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a PiP and enjoy the extra EV miles you get for all that downhill.