1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct Size OIL FILTER CAP WRENCH for 2007 ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 16, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ Jun 4 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]455049[/snapback]</div>
    What I forgot to write last post is that I actually PURCHASED THE OIL FILTER FIRST, then I took this Toyota Oil Filter to the NAPA store the next day and actually "tried" the cap wrench to see the fit. It fit very well !!
    With my MDX (since traded-in) and the currently owned (vehicle #2) Honda CR-V I changed to WIX Oil Filters after Honda changed oil filter vendors to FRAM (yuck :angry: )....... I found the "flutes" and overall "fit" are a wee bit smaller on the WIX oil filter, so I just put a few sheets of paper towel in the "cup of the cap wrench" to take up the slack of the mis-fit !! By-the-way, the Honda has a genuine Honda oil filter cap wrench purchased directly from the Honda dealer (Honda part number).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ Jun 4 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]455049[/snapback]</div>
    I am going to wait for 3,500 miles...........

Yes, I heard this from some other post yesterday on this PC forum. I am just partial to MOBIL1 :rolleyes:

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I got my tool for my Honda VTX 1300 motorcycle from a Honda dealership years ago. It uses the same size filter at the Prius filter.

3. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jun 4 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]455103[/snapback]</div>
    Is it a "CAP" or a "STRAP" type oil filter wrench ??

The Honda automobile oil filters have 15 flutes whereas the Toyota has 14 flutes and is 65 mm !!

I have an oil filter (it is seriously LARGER then the Prius oil filter) on my 6.5 HP Kawasaki engine on my 21" self-propelled John Deere (JX85) lawn mower and none of the wrenches, the new KD (NAPA) for the Prius nor the Honda, will fit on it............ it's actually a slight bit larger than the Prius as well as the Honda. For the few times I change this filter (twice a year, remember Florida grass gets cut year round) I grab it with large Channel-Loks and yank it loose. I keep looking at my "List of things to do and buy" and buying a new OF Wrench for the JD mower is still on there.............
    :rolleyes:

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $4 at walmart. The end cap wrench has a 3/8 square hole for a socket extension. Works great. I just opened a filter from their display, and tried it for fit. No pain.

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Made in USA, lifetime warranted, metal precise 3/8 drive insert, "composite material" Valvoline one I got at Walmart for less than $3 has two sizes, 65mm 14 flute and I think 67mm. It is extremely strong material, won't slip, won't break, 140 ft-lb rated. Fits with a suction sound on my filter, now that's a proper fit, and is as good a tool as I have seen for removing an oil filter. No need to spend more $$.

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Jun 6 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]456817[/snapback]</div>
    I bet the 67mm part of it would be the exact size I am looking for my Kawasaki 14 flute (larger than 65mm) Oil Filter on my 6.5 HP 21" self-propelled (walk behind) John Deere lawn mower. I have to go to Wal-Mart soon for some other items and I will look in the automotive Dept. for this Valvoline Oil Filter Wrench :D . The Wal-Mart near me is soooooooo "crowded" all the time and the parking lot is full of rolling, smashing carts. Difficult to get any "decent" (cart-proof) parking spot at this one............. Maybe some late night around midnight or something ??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Jun 6 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]456817[/snapback]</div>
    Especially in Wal-Mart a very "rare" but WONDERFUL thing to see.............

Another GREAT thing, also very "rare" nowadays........

:rolleyes:

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did the first oil change on our '07. Heading the advice here, I bought a socket type filter wrench from Shucks. "Plastic carbon fibre" The original installed oil filter was so tight, the wrench just distorted and twisted free. I found in my box an old style, small diameter filter wrench. Putting a piece of rubber under the band made it small enough for the Prius filter. It was all I could do to get it to turn.

New oil, new filter and all is well. I suspect that the current filter would turn off just fine with the above socket wrench, but if I had to do it again, I would find a good steel one from Mac or Snap on.

Icarus

(Ps I don't know who was out to lunch when they put the original on at the factory,,,a bit scary!)