1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost comparison: Plug-In vs Standard

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by oswaldjacoby, Mar 17, 2012.

1. oswaldjacoby

oswaldjacoby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My plug in is scheduled for delivery soon, so I am trying to make a final decision if the extra cost of the plug in is worth it to me. A few questions:

1--Which prius price should i use as my comparison: Prius 2 or Prius 3?
    2--I paid the full price (32,500) for my plug in. Does this include the destination charge? If not, how much should I add?
    3--I live in California--so it seems relevant deductions are $2500 federal tax credit (which applies even if you are subject to the AMT?) and $1500 California clean energy board rebate. Is this correct?

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MSRP for the base is $32,000, plus $760 delivery, plus port options and $220 if you ordered Blizzard Pearl. This info is on the website where you placed your order, and should show the agreed on price with your dealer. So if you added options to make your price $32,500 then you need to add $760 delivery, handling, etc plus tax and license. You can sign in to the site, and then select "My Order" for info on your car, including build and shipping dates.
    I can't speak to the issue of which hatchback trim level comes closest to the Plug-in. Others have discussed the subject here, but I don't know if any firm conclusions were reached. To me, it's sort of an apples-to-oranges thing.
    Re taxes, consult your tax preparer. But it is not a deduction, but rather a credit, so you get $2500 off your tax bill if you owe at least that much when you file next year for 2012. The rebate is $1500 as long as the funds last, so file the application as soon as you get your car.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius three with Nav although Prius four with Nav since you have to count the seat heaters.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    figure 32k less 4k fed and state rebate = 28k. there isn't a perfect match in the non plug in but somewhere between III and IV. so around 26k depending on what kind of a deal you can get. so 2K for plugin? no brainer!

1 person likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Three is closest to PiP base - fabric seats, navigation, although PiP has heated fabric seats IIRC.

Three is $26.5 total MSRP with mats, but I think $1k off is easily had now, so $25.5
    PiP base total MSRP IS $33 - $4k next year, so $29k

Not taking tax and all into account, it's $3.5k diff, but you have to pay up front, get money back next year.

PiP annual fuel cost $1k, Prius, $1110 per window stickers

From cost diff point, 32 years to make up, and who knows how much the LiIon will cost to repair/replace in x or xx years, but you'll get much more EV in PiP :)

1 person likes this.
  6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Three is $26.5 total MSRP with mats, but I think $1k off is easily had now, so $25.5
    PiP base total MSRP IS $33 - $4k next year, so $29k"

I'm wondering if it so easy to get $$$ off now, with gas prices up and people flocking to dealers. Prius is a hot seller, so dealers may be less willing to negotiate, knowing someone will likely pay MSRP without a fight. I tried to get to the parts dept at my local dealer the other day, and the roughly fifteen customer parking spots were all taken, and not by dealership cars, from the looks of them.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From an owner point, it's much sooner.

It was a long day and I was tired. But I still had one more errand to run and 1.7 miles of EV left. So, what do you think I did?

1 person likes this.
  8. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    While the novelty of driving around in pure EV may not priceless, it certainly is worth at least $3K in my book.

2 people like this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The bigger PHV battery can regen more power. How much does it worth?

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm going to predict right off the bat that you're going to get the Plug-in, if you've narrowed your decision between Prius 3 and Plug-in.

The best anecdote I have is this true story: My wife worked with a financial analyst. He decided to buy a new car, so he created a complex spreadsheet and factored in cost, mileage, maintenance costs, warranty coverage, reliability ratings, you name it. When he finished this opus, he concluded that the Hyundai was the best buy.

So he bought a BMW.

The Plug-in will cost you a few thousand more. You'll be taxed on the pre-refund amount, and your registration fees will be based on the higher amount. But in California, you get commuter lane access, and depending on how much you drive, you may use virtually no gas at all.

1 person likes this.
  12. oswaldjacoby

oswaldjacoby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks all for helpful ideas. Per carsdirect, can get Prius 3 for 25,395. Plug in is 32760, so difference of about 7400. Extra tax makes this about 8100. Rebates bring this down to about 4000.

I am a pretty light driver---mostly work and back, probably about 12 miles day. And in any case, on days I drive more, not likely I will be able to plug in when not at home, so effectively, I save at most 13 miles of gas driving a day---about 1/3 gallon a day--at best about $500 worth of gas a year--and when one figures electricity cost, maybe savings about $375 a year.

So, probably not justified on purely economic grounds. On the other hand, definite social value to reducing US oil consumption---So ultimately a decision of whether the social value makes up for higher cost.

13. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just FYI, if you get a EV and are sure you'll get your tax credit then you can adjust your withholding (ask your employer) and get most of the actual $$ back this year, and then its just about filing. Don't need to view it as a tax rebate next year, that is just when you settle up with the fed if you are above or below the deductions from the year.

2 people like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and the delight of driving ev! if that doesn't mean anything to you, you might be better off with regular prius.

15. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying the PHV is definitely not just about reclaiming the extra money spent. It is about the excitement of being able to drive in EV mode and, at the same time, dramatically reducing the amount of gas you need purchase.

Experiencing new technology that will one day be commonplace is also delightful.

2 people like this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, it's just like trying to place a value on "stealth" mode in the past for Prius. No one had ever considered the smooth & quiet as a selling point in a non-luxury high-efficiency vehicle before.

We're boldly going...

1 person likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where no man...

2 people like this.
  18. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I'll agree with you that it is not justified on economic grounds, but rather are you going to have more fun with the PiP. If you are a light driver, then maybe the Prius c is for you? I'm torn with the same decision. My daily trip is 28 miles round trip. I've got a Prius III for road trips. I'll never make up the price of a PiP with those 28 miles, but it would be fun. Got to decide how much I'm willing to pay for this fun.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one has gone before...

1 person likes this.
  20. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    But it varies according to use and electricity and gas prices.

I expect to drive 75% - 90% on EV. Because of my solar panels, I'm on time-of-use billing so late night electricity is cheap. I figure about 2.2 cents per mile EV, 8.5 cents HV at current prices. So my savings will be more.