1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost difference between L1 charging versus L2 charging

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ed4271, Feb 23, 2019.

1. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I first got my 2018 Prius Prime I plugged it in when I returned it home all the time. If I went out grocery shopping I was able to plug into a L2. Now here is where I'm going with this. It cost me $0.10 a kilowatt hour and when I use my level 1 charging cable it would take a while for the car to charge up. So it was taken 5 hours if I fully discharge or half that time. Now of course is the same whether I use a level 2 or level one. However since I have a chargepoint level two in my garage I'm able to charge my car quickly. So here's the question. Because I'm charging more with my level 2 it's that costing me more money as opposed to when I just charged for a longer period of time with my level 1. 20190219_133211.jpeg Screenshot_20190219-174033_ChargePoint.jpeg 20181229_115525.jpeg 20181229_123412.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’m not too sure on the cost differences, but think it would be minimal other than if you have a time of use pricing on your electricity (like it’s cheaper between certain non peak hours).

You’re using the same amount of energy to charge it, whether you spread it out 5-6 hours or load it all in 2 hours.

iPad ?

ed4271 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’ll be miniscule per charge. You’re using roughly the same amount of electricity regardless of charge rate. It’s slightly more efficient at 240V so your bill will be slightly cheaper by a few pennies.

4. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Level 2 charging is around 5% more efficient than Level 1. Let's say you empty your battery and charge it full daily. At 10 cents per kWh, you'll save about 90 cents a month. But the best thing about Level 2 is that if you recharge at home multiple times a day, you can probably save on gas since it's faster to charge.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The home cost between the Level 1 and 2 will be tiny, as others have said, but the Level 2 could mean less gas use on trips taken after getting home in a day.

ed4271 likes this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Either way, you are putting the same amount of energy into the battery. There is a minutely different amount of heat loss due to resistance from the two charge voltages - at 120 the current is twice as high and the resistive losses are slightly higher. I doubt you will see this on your electric bill, maybe a few watts more for a whole charge.

ed4271 likes this.
  7. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Level 1 uses more electricity than level 2, the first reason is 240v is slightly more efficient meaning there is less loses in the wiring, the second reason is the car in order to charge it needs to turn on the electronics that are use to charge the car, so lets say it uses 1.4 kwh from the wall but is actually just putting 1.2 kwh into the battery because the rest is being use to power the electronics, while level 2 is putting 3.4 kwh while using 3.6 kwh but it takes fewer hours, so uses less energy to charge the car, the difference are really small to even worry it about it anyway, another reason is you may use ev mode more often because it charges faster.

ed4271 likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After taking into the consideration of the L2 EVSE equipment and installation cost, any L2 cost advantage in electricity fee would be gone, I would think. We usually go out only once a day until we return to home. For me over night L1 charging is the most economical and convenient way to charge my PRIME.

benagi, pghyndman and ed4271 like this.
  9. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree. No more waiting long. Of time to just driving EV instead of ICE.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.