1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost for major repairs due to accident

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mtr85, Dec 28, 2015.

1. mtr85

mtr85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Hello!

My girlfriend's Prius C was recently involved in an accident, where severe damage occurred in the front of the vehicle (please see attached pictures). Unfortunately, she did not have collision insurance at that time. We are exploring the option of having the vehicle repaired, since it has only about 20K miles on it. According to an initial assessment by a mechanic, the following repairs are required (this is a brief summary):

1. Replace front bumper.
    2. Replace grille.
    3. Replace front lamps.
    4. Replace hood.
    5. Remove and inspect radiator.
    6. Remove and inspect AC condenser.
    7. Replace front fenders.
    8. Replace front and side inner structures (i.e., radiator support assembly, reinforcement assembly, etc.)
    9. Remove and inspect inverter assembly.
    10. Remove and inspect front suspension.
    11. Replace left and right O/H drive axle assembly.
    12. Remove and inspect engine/transmission and crossmember assembly.
    13. Replace engine/body undercovers.
    14. Replace windshield.
    15. Repair and refinish front door.
    16. Remove and inspect interior headliner.

It would be helpful to us if someone could provide a rough estimate of the potential costs for executing the above repairs.

Thank you in advance! IMG_4010.JPG IMG_4011.JPG IMG_4012.JPG IMG_4010.JPG IMG_4011.JPG IMG_4012.JPG

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I had similar damage to an '07 Prius. It was about $10,000 to repair...

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd agree. I've seen similar condition (regular) Prius on flatbeds parked outside wreckers yards, presumably "totalled".

Half of the items on the list are inspections, and if one or more of those turn up bad news, that'll for sure tip it.

The air bags didn't blow? That'd be one plus.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hopefully there weren't any serious injuries.

Ask how much you can save by using old parts. A good body shop will be able to straighten the frame but don't expect "perfect". You may see that the seams are not uniform or that a headlight doesn't quite fit. How much can the car be sold for as is?

A used Prius c can be had for about $15000 and this will be one of those used cars that many of us advise against buying so expect to run it "forever" to get your money's worth out of it should you rebuild/repair it.