1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of Engine replacement, and repairs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MPGHokage, Dec 10, 2017.

1. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey guys, I'm currently driving a 2001 Prius, but I would like to "upgrade" to a 2nd gen Prius in a couple months, so i'm trying to calculate the cost of the big repairs i may potentially need to have done.

How much would the Engine typically be to Replace?

How much to put a new Hybrid Battery in it:

and other big ticket items I should worry about?

I'm starting to set money aside month to month for these repairs, and just want to estimate how much I should allocate for a worst case scenario.

I figure I can sell my 2001 Prius for 2000$, and finance about 4000$ for the car, depending on what I find. And then i'll have my Emergency Fund account set up for when stuff goes wrong with it haha!

Thanks!!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm really not expert on this, but my first thought would be to do nothing to it, just sell it as-is.

How many miles on it?

3. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, Maybe i worded it wrong. I'm saving for potential repairs on the car i'm going to buy. not the one i'm driving now.

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You may want to peruse this site some more, particularly in the Second Generation section, and get a more realistic feel for what you may have issues with. I don’t think an engine replacement will make the top 10 list. HV battery, maybe, but that depends on whether the car saw heavy mountain use, or was baked (literally?!?) in the desert.

My 2007, at 280kmi, is on its original battery and engine.

My issues included rear struts/springs. (I had a broken spring) and I went through a spat of Front wheel bearings. Coolant control valve (replaced myself), too. Not much else outside of Maintenance.

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    salvage engine around $2,000. installed.

new battery can probably be had around $2,500. installed, if you shop around.

a/c can be a few thousand, same for a salvage tranny, but very unusual.

brake accumulator had an extend warranty, but i think that is over. a few grande for replacement.