1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of ownership

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Velo781, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Velo781

Velo781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, heat is bad much of the year here in Austin. Partly why I want a white or silver Prius.

I'm definitely asking for maintenance records, and looking for a well cared for car. I will be using it for going to job to job, my own business. Currently using my wife's car. I had an old civic a few years ago, I did really well owning that for 8 years. But I'm really into the hybrid/ electric tech. I've built ebikes, emotorcycles, e lawn mowers. Very knowledgeable about batteries.

I was just wondering about the cost savings of a cheaper car upfront. All things equal, and understanding the risks. I almost bought an 07 with 122k miles last week for 3200 but it was sold before I could get it professionally inspected.

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The trick is that most well-maintained cars are going to be offered for sale by dealers, which means higher prices. Most private sales cost less, but are not maintained as well. There are some private sales of well-maintained cars, but such things are rare and sell fast.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that @bwilson4web will be selling his 2010 after he picks up his Prime later this month. He is in Alabama but the price may be too steep. I am sure it was well cared for though.

RCO likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've offered it with an asking price of $8k (similar car sold on eBay over Christmas for $8.2k) and may have a local buyer. By the end of the week, I'll put it for auction on eBay with a reasonable, minimum. If that doesn't work, CarMax.

Bob Wilson

#24 bwilson4web, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    RCO, jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Cost of ownership" is a nuanced thing.
    Most people I would strongly advise against buying a $3500 Prius as a daily driver based purely on cost but you might be the exception to the rule if you 're willing to do basic maintenance and repairs, and you want to tinker with a hybrid.

Good Luck!

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you have a really good point about being interested in doing your own work. If you enjoy that stuff (as many of us here do) then an older model isn't as scary. I know I prefer to do my own work. But I do like to leave the pressurized systems to the pros. ;)

RCO, Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same here. I like to do the basics, but keep in touch for the dealership, for the tough stuff.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bob has his car listed here. 2010 Level 2 | PriusChat

9. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Indeed, ditto . I'm absolutely shocked and horrified at the eye watering level of destruction from the impact.

However, this is also proof of how well the rear crumple zone on a Gen 2 Prius works. Wow! Just, wow!

iPhone ?

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was amazing! Even the roof was wrinkled. The guy was driving a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Speed limit was 55 and he never left a mark on the pavement even though he said he "locked it up," so I'm sure he was doing 60 or more when he hit us. He pushed us well over 100 feet. The EMT said with an incredulous tone, "You were at the light when he hit you??!" It took a half hour to find my eyeglasses. A deputy finally found them under some stuff in the back seat. The guy with the phone fetish put his bumper right up over our back wheels and even bent the traction battery case.

I saw at the last second that he wasn't stopping and just had time to get my foot on the gas to try to reduce the speed difference. Wife says she didn't hear me yell "He's not stopping!" so she didn't have her head against the headrest. That's probably why she got some whiplash. I am REALLY glad we did not have a rear seat passenger.

The Prius crumple zone did ALL the crumpling. The front of that Cherokee was only crunched in a few inches. It was like a giant battering ram. Now I know what a golf ball feels like. :confused:

11. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes! I'm glad you both made it!

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  12. Velo781

Velo781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember in the news that a mother and son weren't so lucky when they got rear ended at a light by a drunk in a Chevy avalanche on a highway here. Their Prius did not save them but the truck may have been going much faster than 60.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's so sad! Seems like all too often it's the drunk who walks away.

Eastside, RCO and Data Daedalus like this.