1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of PiP compared to regular Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by adric22, Aug 22, 2012.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm just wondering if anyone has seen any hard numbers that can explain the manufacturing cost difference between a regular Prius and a Pip? And mostly I'm just talking about drive-train, not extra accessories that might be standard on the Pip. I'm also not talking about development cost.

I've been thinking about this in my head for a while. It seems like the cost should be very little. The regular Prius already has a traction battery. In the Pip you are not adding a battery rather substituting a slightly larger battery. But in comparison to other vehicles such as the Volt or Leaf, the battery is still very small. I mean really, besides a charge door, battery charger, and a few software upgrades, where is the expense to this technology? Are they paying hundreds of dollars for that included L1 EVSE? (which wouldn't surprise me considering what a replacement costs)

Which makes me wonder. Why aren't all Priuses plug-in? I mean really, it should have been that way from the beginning back in 2001. (or 1997 depending on where you live)

So I also have to wonder if the cost of the PiP will eventually come down to the point that people won't bother buying the non-plug-in version? After all, there is no dis-advantage to a PiP besides the spare tire being absent, right?

I wonder how much the price would be lowered if people were expected to buy their own EVSE or use public charging?

2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Minimally the traction battery technology is different - NiMH in P3 vs LiOn in PiP. But, IMHO, it doesn't explain so big price difference.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but the price difference isn't just related to parts. so, you can't ask why the big price difference, you have to ask what is the actual production cost difference excluding options outside of the plug in drive train, as the o.p. did. and i doubt we'll ever know. selling price is reflected in what the market will bear, not just cost. and part of pip cost is r&d and we don't know how much that is either. volt and leaf don't have the prius when you run out of juice, so you can't judge kw size of battery vs price either.

4. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You are neglecting R&D expense.

5. drizzle

drizzle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The new Ford C-Max hybrid with the 1.4 KWh LiOn battery sells for $26K vs. Prius 1.3 KWh NiMh. So the cost of the Plug-in 4.4 KWh LiOn battery?

Different manufacturers may have a different philosophy on how to recoup the cost of R&D and setting up the manufacturing line. Whether to soak the early adopters (eg. the $10K flat panel TV) or to spread the costs over the all the customers.

By the way whats with all these $29K Prius Plug-ins at the Maryland dealers? You can see the prices at their web sites Fitzway Gaithersburg, Koons Annapolis, Russel Baltimore

6. satija

satija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, prices on these websites are deceptive in that they compel you to lease the vehicle. This probably means that since you don't own the car, you can not get the $2500 federal tax credit plus you probably also don't get the waiver of 6% Maryland tax if you bought the car yourself and financed it.

7. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New New 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in AUTO For Sale in Annapolis MD | Vin: JTDKN3DP5C3019648

Wow. Is that for reals? I just paid almost $3K above that price. What's the catch here?!?

Update: Nevermind. I am idiot. Here is the fine print.

Incentives: Toyota Lease Bonus Rebate FitzMall Internet and Value Prices include a $3150 Lease Bonus Rebate. Must lease in order to qualify. Rebate does not apply to cash or finance deals. Offer end August 31, 2012. Please see dealer for details.