1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of repairs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sharnold, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do most of my fellow Prius mechanics charge on here for cell replacement and battery conditioning?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Pluggo likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no charge, i guess?(n)

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends.... While I've pretty much only done it for friends and friends of friends, It hovers in the $40 per hour range to find and replace bad modules and then recondition via a grid charger/discharger. But if I'm hunting for modules that aren't bad, but soon to go bad via reconditioning individual modules that process may get to as low as $10 an hour because it can take 20+ hours and I can do other stuff while I monitor a handful of modules to discharge at a time while also charging up a handful of other modules. IF I charged full price for this work, I'd price myself out of what people can afford and they'd likely just save up for a brand new pack instead.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I usually say for less than $500 at first and then refine it to the actual work and if it comes in below $400 I usually get a nice big tip! ;-)

5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually charge $450 per battery bc I'm working on other projects while charging and discharging the cells

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And key to that charge is how much overhead you personally have... If you're running a whole shop with insurance and employees then it's entirely reasonable to charge more not less. But if you're the guy down the street that enjoys tinkering with the stuff in ways that helps out your friends and whatever you charge is magically vanishing cash in your pocket, then it doesn't have to be expensive at all. :)