1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by azgirl85379, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Aug 22 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]500178[/snapback]</div>
    Plus, you never really know what kind of oil they used. Most dealerships use bulk oil tanks, so you might actually be driving around with the incorrect viscosity oil in your Prius. And, it isn't like the best mechanics at the garage are the ones doing the oil changes. Chances are that the guy that did your oil change was washing cars and sweeping the parking lot last week.

The only way to ensure that the job is done right is to do it yourself.

2. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am trying to decide whether to get the Toyota Maintenance Plan (through Prius Chat). Today I called a dealership and was told that Toyota recommends the blended oil for the Prius and I would just be wasteing my money. They quoted $70 just for the synthetic oil plus extra for the tire rotation. He also said that if I had the maintenance package, I would have to pay extra because it was synthetic instead of what they normally use.

I called another dealer and he said they put synthetic in the Prius because several techs have one and found better gas mileage. I asked what kind of oil, he said it was from Toyota and didn't have brand on it, but said it was 0-20 (whatever that means). The cost he quoted was $37 plus $18 for the tire rotation.

Called an ex-brother-in-law who works at Firestone. He said the cost for synthetic oil change was $60 and they use Kendall synthetic. He would do the tire rotation for me free. I asked if I could bring in the oil and filter and he said the company wouldn't allow this. He did say that once you start using synthetic oil, you shouldn't go back to the blend.

Called another independent mechanic and he said the oil change would be about $50 and rotation $16.50. and they don't allow me to bring in oil and filter either.

Called another independent mechanic and said to use Mobil 5W30 synthetic and a Toyota filter, it would be $55.00 and he would throw in the tire rotation. He normally uses NAPA select filters..are they okay or do we have to use Toyota filter. He has never worked on a Prius.

Question about whether should take to second Toyota dealer? If use Firestone, is Havolene synthetic oil good? I have seen it mentioned how easy it is to change the oil; however, my husband doesn't want to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. sentrasixspeed

sentrasixspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Called another independent mechanic and said to use Mobil 5W30 synthetic and a Toyota filter, it would be $55.00 and he would throw in the tire rotation. He normally uses NAPA select filters..are they okay or do we have to use Toyota filter. He has never worked on a Prius.

[/quote]

I change my own oil and use Mobil1 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter. I get Mobil 1 at Walmart in the 5 qt jug for 19.95. The filters run about 8.00. The Prius takes about 3 3/4 qts.

I also use a little trick and blow some LOW pressure compressed air down the dipstick tube after draining the pan and changing the filter.
    I get about another half quart of oil out and none of the dirty stuff goes into the new oil filter. Try it. you will be amazed at how long the new oil stays clean since all of the dirty stuff is out.

That being said, I would use the above mechanic. He got the weight right and that is a good filter. Hope this helps.

4. Fitchdave

Fitchdave Silver Squirell

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just came from the Toyota dealer I purchased from. They had New Customer Appreciation Night. Free food and beverages AND a coupon for a Free oil change. I have put 4800 miles in 6 weeks.

I asked the service manager what documentation is needed in order to maintain warranty, if I do may own oil changes. He said just be sure to keep all the receipts showing purchases of the filters and fluids.

This dealer charges $24.99 for oil changes only, and an additional $16.00 if you want tires rotated. The 15K service checkup is $190.00.

Now I glad I purchased 4 Toyota oil filters at $4.00 each and Mobil 1 5w30 at $5.00 a quart, and a hydralic jack, stands, and wheels chocks for $35.00 the set.

I plan to do my own servicing, at over 30,000 miles per year I fiqure I can save $400-$500 on tire rotations, 15K service intervals, and be using better quality oil.