1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost to replace A/C lines and water pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius-need-help, Feb 7, 2015.

1. prius-need-help

prius-need-help New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello-

We have a 2009 Prius. 2 days ago, my neighbor was trying to help us by pulling my car out of the snow by using his pick-up truck. Unfortunately, he connected his tow line to the wrong place and broke the pipe connected to the AC line by mistake. Now the dealer gave us an $830 price to fix the AC line, and after negotiation they brought it down to $600. Should I do it or this is way over priced? Also they said the (non hybrid) water pump needs to replaced and the drive belt to be replaced, after negotiation it became $400. The car has about 88,000 miles.

Are those charges overpriced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For a dealer the engine coolant pump and belt replacement is very reasonable although this still represents about $300 labor for one hours work. The AC line damage cannot really be priced without knowing the precise components needed for repairs.

John (Britprius)

3. prius-need-help

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much, John. This final price was after "hard" negotiation. For the AC line, they replaced with a new AC hi pressure line from compressor to evaporator, and recharged the AC line. It is $600.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next to the tire tools and jack, you will find the tow hook. It screws into the socket in the front grill, which is under the small round patch. If it should ever happen again...

5. prius-need-help

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, nh7o! Our Neighbour was trying to help, but hooked the AC pipe by mistake... The dealer finished all the work today..should I call insurance company or just pay everything out of my own pocket? Thanks again!

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What's your deductible? It had better be well over $600 to even consider doing that. B/c your premium will go up w/ current insurance company, and even other insurance companies if you jump ship.

Why don't you just ask your insurance agent what would happen if you were to file a claim?

7. prius-need-help

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Yes, we have $500 deductible too. I never bothered my insurance company in the past, maybe I will take your suggestion and just ask.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, you want to file an insurance claim to net $100, and potentially raise your future insurance premiums? That sounds like a bad choice to me.

9. prius-need-help

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car has already been fixed as well - so, we'd need to make a retroactive claim on the damage.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm guessing you don't have snow tires?

If you had snow tires, you probably would have never needed the $600 incorrect tow in the first place. An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

Costco can get the winter Bridgestone Blizzak tires for you, $93/ea, + $15/ire fee (mount, lifetime spin balance, lifetime rotation, lifetime road hazard, & tire disposal fee); lifetime is based on the life of the tire (2/32inch of tread) or 5 years from the date of installation, whichever occurs first. Right now, Michelins are on sale ($70 off a set of 4). Next month it will probably be Bridgestone, and the alternating pattern will continue. Should you decide to get snow tires, you really should get a set of cheap steel wheels for the snow tires. That way you don't have to unmount/mount the all season-tires, only to reverse the procedure for the winter tires; frequent removal/installation of tires is bad for the tire bead.

Plenty of people sell their winter tires w/ rims on craigslist, eBay, and even on PriusChat private sale. Just a matter of finding someone near you.

11. prius-need-help

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your advice exstudent and Patrick Wong

12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    they just got a couple feet of snow in New England area in the last 2 weeks. in a couple feet of snow, he probably does have snow tires, but it still doesn't matter. however, this is why folks should read the owners manual cause then you'd know about the tow hook if you ever needed a tow.