1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost to replace dented bumper...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jamesguy13, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think this area is all metal so it can be filled in sanded and painted maybe for a couple of hundred, shop around.l

2. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had success pouring a kettle or two of boiling water over the dent and they inevitably straighten out

robertmaria and Andyprius1 like this.
  3. Silky

Silky New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just had mine replaced today. Paid $100 for used bumper cover-same color plus I paid the body shop $75 to install. Total =$175
    I could have gotten new bumper cover (aftermarket) for same price but would have had to pay an additional $150 to body shop to paint it and $75 to install or $325 total.

4. PCSF

PCSF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Had my C for just about a month and some jackass crunched my bumper on Friday at work. Didn't leave a note and it was out of view of security cameras. (Incidentally, our lot is patrolled by a fleet of white Prius... Thanks for lookin out for one your own...) I was waiting for the first scratch but a dent at work, one month in?! So frustrating.

Anyhow, after lurking this thread and pricing out bumpers online, I figured I'd give in to my OCD and replace the whole bumper cover. But then I started browsing dent repair on YouTube and man, watching things on YT makes you feel like you can do anything. I ran out this morning and bought a heat gun and decided to try to push the dent out. After a minute, I had fears of melting the moonglow right off so I ran back to the hardware store and bought a torq wrench to remove the bumper. I set it down on a pillow while my girlfriend held it up and warmed the area with the gun. I stepped on the dent from the back and it popped out easily. We spent another 10-15 minutes warming the deformation and "stepping" it out. I took a wet cloth and rubbed it a bit, hoping to help the plastic set. It's not perfect but it doesn't infuriate me as much looking at it now. Toyota parts was closed so I'm going to hunt down some touch up paint tomorrow and see what I can do about the scrapes. If anyone comes across a place that ships or sells already painted bumper covers, let us know. I'd just pop that thing on myself. Some before and after:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Stevie likes this.
  5. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Great job well done, let me know how you do the paint as I need to touch up mine where a friends gate bashed it, and a panel shop wants $650 AUD to repaint it

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can almost get a new bumper for that... geez.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great job, PCSF. I'm sure the best part was the satisfaction of doing it yourself. A bit of touch up paint on the edge should make that look good as new (at least from a distance).

8. PCSF

PCSF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Work's been busy so I haven't been able to work on this much. I got the touch up paint from Toyota. Moonglow involves a base coat white and a "pearly" coat over that. I laid down two coats of base (with an hour of drying in between) before I got called into work again. But here's what that looks like so far:

Attached Files:

9. kk012

kk012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I only had my Prius-C for about a month before it was damaged in my company parking lot last month. There are a few scratches on the bumper and a 2-3 inch long dent on the rear door from the dumpster door hitting it somehow:(:mad:

Can someone please recommend some reliable, quality auto body shops to replace or repaint the bumper and fix the dent? Thanks so much!

10. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So PCSF, how difficult (or easy) was it to just "pop" the bumper cover off? Mine's pretty banged up and has a few cracks, but I can't justify bringing it to a body shop. If I could find a cheap replacement in good shape and if it were fairly simple to replace, I might give it a try. Just basic tools necessary or are some specialized tools needed?

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Should be able to find one in the junk yard. On my 2005 I did some putty work and then painted it. Then sold it.

12. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    this is what I refer to as a billy-bob kiss, I see them all over town, always the back corner of a car and bumper height of a pickup/SUV. some yackazz doesn't know drive their pickup.

probably like this person. I was leaving Golds Gym the other day I watched as a person "TRY" to back pickup truck into an end parking spot, plenty of room; back and forth about 6 times to get it lined up - no exaggeration 6 tries I counted them - they gave up and drove half way down parking lot to space where they could pull in to spot where they could just pull out and not have to back up. driver was under 30 yo, I will leave the rest unsaid.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened over the weekend. Got hit by inattentive driver. A simple "SORRY" for the 1st ding.

Attached Files:

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I go into a slow burn, thinking about the damage modern "bumpers" incur, and the expensive bodywork repairs required. This is the bumper style of our first car, actually this colour too, an 81 Civic. It was hydraulically mounted too:

upload_2018-8-4_9-26-3.png

Yeah, someone just creased a back corner on our 2010 a few months back. Nice lady, admitted responsibility, so insurance covered everything, but I'm sure it was close to a grand (CDN) for the body shop.

Before:

upload_2018-8-4_9-36-25.png

After:

upload_2018-8-4_9-35-6.png

#34 Mendel Leisk, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Over the Wrangler bumpers:whistle:?

I was parked next to one today and they look robust(y).

#35 Raytheeagle, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those things do look sweet...

OTOH, I one droll reviewer said it had the aerodynamics of a garden shed...:LOL::ROFLMAO::cry:

Raytheeagle likes this.