1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost to replace HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tbach33, Dec 10, 2012.

1. tbach33

tbach33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't seem to find this topic on any other thread. I have a 2007 Prius with 167000 miles. Check engine light came on along with several other lights. Took it to the dealer, they informed me the HV battery was beginning to fail. They quoted me a price of $3950 out the door to have the battery replaced. After calling Toyota corporate, I was informed the cost of a replacement battery to the dealer is around $2299 and the time to complete the replacement is 1.6 hours. They said the dealer should be able to do the replacement for around $2800. They also informed me there was a "core credit" the Toyota dealer can apply to the cost if they so choose. My Toyota dealer did not know anything about a "core credit." When I informed the dealer I had spoken with Toyota corporate, they called me back the next day and said they will do the job for $3200 (new battery plus labor). My question, is this a reasonable price? Are there independent companies out there that could do this at a cheaper cost? I know there is risk in letting someone else do this other than the dealer. By the way, the check engine lights went off after being on for 2 days. They have remained off and this is now the 4th day in a row with no check engine light on.

LastsForever likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out Re-Involt.com for batt replacement as a 3rd party option. This is what I may do.
    They also have a new Li version coming out, I am curious if that will be a good choice.
    Where are you approx located?
    You can see their list of replacement shops.
    Actually quite a few threads here ad naseum if you search Gen2.
    Your other option is get one from a wreck.
    I am not the expert so I defer to the experts. The price you got seems really decent though.

PS- Suggest make sure your 12v is in good shape before you blame the HV batt

JMD likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not give any hint where in the world you are, so it will be hard to give specific help. Your warranty will vary based on location, for example. You seem to be using US dollars so you should be within 4000 miles of these guys:
    Our Installers
    Parts and labor for their re-manufactured batteries is near $2000 US.
    Other firms certainly also re-manufacture Prius batteries, if we knew where you were, someone may be able to recommend someone local.
    Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 2 Prius HV Battery Replacement P0A80
    Prius Hybrid Battery Generation 2 (2004-2009)
    Hybrid Car Repair Cost

If you are mechanically inclined and electrically cautious, it is possible to buy used batteries of ebay from crashes, and replace it yourself
    Prius battery in Parts & Accessories | eBay

4. tbach33

tbach33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. tbach33

tbach33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I live in Denver and there is someone in Denver that Re-Involt.com recommends to replace the HV battery. I also found out via the forum how to check the 12v to make sure it is in good shape. So I will do this first before replacing the HV battery. The new Li battery sounds good. Re-Involt.com has not given a release date yet on the new Li battery, but they are real close.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    moved to the proper forum.

7. Hybrid_Tom

Hybrid_Tom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At 185,000 miles, my 2006 HV battery recently went bad. Bought and installed one from Hybrid ReVolt for $1499 plus $178 shipping, plug $500 core charge (refunded). I live in the Houston area, so ground shipping would probably be cheaper to Denver from Arizona.
    It only took a couple of hours to replace the battery pack, but I had removed it before and was familiar with what needed to be done. The car is working just fine now.
    BTW, I did have to replace my 12 volt battery a year ago, so yours is probably about due.
    Good luck.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius Chat members save you $.

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My son's 2006 failed at about 180000 k with same symptoms. They reset it and ran fine until a week or so later it did it again whole accelerating to enter a freeway.

My other car doing fine at same mileage.

He used to seemingly floor it all the time when he took off which really stresses the battery.
    Another symptom of a weak battery is your acceleration will be poor.,

We found 2 avail "by phone" at junk yards.

Bought one for 400.00 "they pulled it". It came out of a wrecked 2007. My local dealer put it in for another 350 - 400 dollars.... Been running great ever since... That was about 9 months ago.

There are a lot more prius's that get totalled with good batteries than there are prius's needing one.

There should be a huge supply and demand difference favoring the buyer.

Alan...
    Sent with Tapatalk 2

JMD and cwerdna like this.
  11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree you can save a boat load of money buying parts in the Surplus universe. Talk to the dealer and let him know your on a limited budget and if he would do the work on the Surplus install with no guarantee. If he says no ask to speak with the Service Manager or GM and let him know that if they do this surplus install it will motivate you to purchase new cars from his delaership in the future. If he doesn't well you will certainly let all your friends know about your experience. If he says no than look around for another dealer or mechanic that can do the work. Most big cities have a good independent shop that will work on a Prius. If you put out a new post and ask for a recomendation of a Shop that will put in a surplus battery and mention youre Location you should get a few suggestions.

12. Slushy

Slushy Junior Member

I am writing to hopefully help others. My 2006 Toyota Prius (Generation 2) has 229K miles and the all the warning lights and red triangle with a "!" lit up and the engine revved up going downhill. I took my car to our mechanic who ran the codes and we ended up replacing the 12 volt accessory battery (which was pretty old). A week later, the same problem occurred and our mechanic said the codes indicated that the main hybrid battery needs to be replaced which didn't surprise us. The Prius has been fairly problem free up. I searched around for a replacement battery (individual faulty module cells vs. reconditioned batteries vs. a new Toyota battery). Having read that Prius can last for 300K+ miles and wanting to pass our car to your kids eventually, we decided to buy a new battery from Toyota which ranged from $3,600 to $4,500. Through the Costco Auto Program which offers a 15% discount (max. $500) on participating dealerships, I was able to buy a new replacement battery for about $3,100 (including tax) from Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. My service advisor, Hong, was easy to work with and I'm excited to keep my car running for another 150k+ miles!

cwerdna, bisco and Merkey like this.
  13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you live anywhere near Texas call Home town hybrid.
    They rebuild themselves and guarantee and will come to your house in and out in an hour.
    I used them twice now, no problems, great service!
    (844) 447-7487
    (979) 848-6868
    979-665-2395
    Generation 2 = 2004-2009
    Generation 3 = 2010 and up

Prius Gen II Rebuilt $1,000 1 year
    Prius Gen II New $2,700 3 year
    Gen III rebuilt 1100.00

Eastside likes this.
  14. LastsForever

LastsForever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (01-31-2022) (2007 Gen 2 Prius) While this thread is a bit old, I'll try posting about my dealer inquiries into Hybrid Battery Replacement Battery costs, anyway. The red triangle appeared, along with a host of other lights, on my 2007, Gen 2, with 157K miles. Dr. Prius reports a P3000 Code, and displays a problem with blocks 5, and 6. Both being about 1.0-1.5 volts lower than the rest of the blocks. As I live in a rural area in Middle Tennessee, and a trip into town presents several areas of no Cell Service, I decided that a Factory New HV battery was my best bet in terms of a long time fix. So, after initially deciding to replace individual modules myself, I decided the reliability of a new battery, although costly, was what I needed. Dealer #1 quotes me $2700, plus tax which makes it $2943 out-the-door. However, Batteries are on back-order, until Mid-March. Dealer #2 quotes me $2800, plus tax which makes it $3052 out-the-door. Dealer #2 says he can have the battery in a week. I mention these figures because they seem considerably lower than what many others are quoted.....So, who has had a HV battery replaced, relatively recently, and what did you pay? The dealer can keep my core.