1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Gasoline OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Going Greener, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My local Costco gets their gas from bp-amoco and I am boycotting amoco right now. I used to get it my gas from costco before without any issues. I now get my gas from 76.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Besides the additives that you mentioned, I'm not so sure the above statement is true. While digging for some old posts I made about gasoline formulations and CA RFG (some links are dead), I dug up pages/places like these.

Types of Motor Fuel Consumed in California
    U.S. GAO - Gasoline Markets: Special Gasoline Blends Reduce Emissions and Improve Air Quality, but Complicate Supply and Contribute to Higher Prices (in particular, look at the PDFs. I haven't had time to do more than skim them.)
    Reformulated Gas | US EPA

3. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "PLUS, with a Costco AMEX, i get 3% cash back on gas purchases."

Actually, the Costco AMEX card will get you 3% cash back at virtually ALL pay-at-the-pump stations. The card is not supposed to discount proprietary grocery store gas (Safeway etc.) but locally, I have been receiving the discount at all stations. FYI.

1 person likes this.
  4. pikesfish

pikesfish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No difference between Costco gasoline and anyone else. I do agree with a previous poster if they are not turning it over like other stations then I might not use them as much but none of my cars have had any problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I never buy gas from Costco. On the other hand, the nearest Costco is 150 miles away. Let's see: 300 miles round trip, and I don't like to let my tank get too low. I could drive to Costco, fill up, drive home, and be ready to fill up again. :D

Tom

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes it's true there are several different types of gasoline formulations In summer there's not that many a dozen or so However in winter because of large temperature streams There are more is in 5 dozen But they'll start up to staying in are adjusted locally
    morag sample here we use every 10 (for example here we use E-10. Using android speech to text day two) but oregon does not and most of our gas comes from alaska and bp ultimately so older maybe any plans of gasoline here but it's mostly coming from bp wells

7. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I don't think that anyone claims that all crude oil is identical. The point is that in most cases you have no idea what brand of gasoline is in the tanks at the station you go to.

The main port for fuel in South Florida is Port Everglades. They have huge tanks without labels on them. While I am sure they know which fuel is in which tank, the tanker drivers I have spoken to (admittedly not many), say they just go to whichever one is on tap and fill up there.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes it's true there are several different types of gasoline formulations In summer there's not that many a dozen or so However in winter because of large temperature streams There are more is in 5 dozen But they'll start up to staying in are adjusted locally
    morag sample here we use every 10 (for example here we use E-10. Using android speech to text day two) but oregon does not and most of our gas comes from alaska and bp ultimately so older maybe any plans of gasoline here but it's mostly coming from bp wells

9. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    You guys boycotting BP do understand that if they don't sell all their gas at the BP stations (most of which are privately owned) they will sell it to the mom and pop independent stations to help satiate the never ending American demand for gasoline, don't you?

That fuel will not sit in their tanks for long, no matter how many well intentioned boycotters there are.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The answer is NO. Costco gas is NOT OK.

And please understand that it is no worse and no better than gas from any other station. None of it is OK. Toxic, carcinogenic, nasty, smelly stuff that increases our health care costs, harms our economy, and keeps us dependent on foreign nations for our quality of life. Not OK in my book!

2 people like this.
  11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Darrell i would not its expected any other response from you U It lies david thoreau's different drummer. I can only hope that soon you will beat a member of a very large band

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like to be consistent. Mostly. ;)

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, just have to post this...

the sign on the building, i thought that meant cars. that is why i park there!!

Attached Files:

14. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My local Costco uses BP fuel to fill their tanks. A new concern that some folks talk about now is not enough underground tank time to pull out some heat in the fuel from riding around in a tanker during the day. Gasoline pumped at different temperatures varies in volume, the hotter it is the less fuel you get.

1 person likes this.
  15. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you'll love the nissan leaf then =)

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or... the three EVs that I've owned since 2000? I don't need the Nissan LEAF as my 2002 Rav4EV is plugging along perfectly after eight years of constant use.

17. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What powers your plug-in vehicles?

18. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL, so you probably don't have a Costco membership?

19. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, you're one of the lucky ones that could use the "complimentary" electric vehicle chargers that I saw sitting idle at Costco! No lines there (yet). Although I'm not sure how long of a shopping & lunch spree it would take to significantly charge your Rav4EV.

I really do hope to have an EV for our next car. Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to get an EV in 2002 and how much did it cost around then?

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darelldd's plugin is powered mostly by water (e.g. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Coulee_Dam"]Grand Coulee[/ame]).

The local electric utility was previously named Washington Water Power.