1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Gasoline OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Going Greener, Jul 19, 2010.

1. VolkCelicaGTS

VolkCelicaGTS New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all!

I'm new to the Prius form, however, this seems to be a welcoming community, filled with helpful knowledge, such as the information provided in this thread! Thank you for the info on Costco gas, as I've been wondering about this for quite some time too.

- Dan

2. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, it's not gasoline that keeps us dependent on foreign nations, it's a combination of our politicians and environmentalists.

If the BP fiasco doesn't highlight the LIE that we are running out of oil or that we need to import oil, then we are immune to fact.

*One* of the three BP leaks was estimated to be pumping 40,000 bbl/day into the gulf. With the cap in place and, I suppose, better data, some are saying it was as high as 100,000 bbl/day. Considering the US total demand is 20 MM/bbl/day, this *SINGLE* bore was producing between 0.2% and 0.5% of our ENTIRE daily consumption. This means that we would only need between 100 to 500 wells of this nature to supply the entire domestic demand.

There are 3400 active wells in the gulf, not to mention the oil production of Alaska, Texas, California and Louisiana.

These cretins have been lying their asses off regarding the fallacy of "peak oil" for decades. The proof of their lies is now washing up on the shores of the gulf coast states. The politicians and leaders want us entangled in the middle east and pumping cash into states like Mexico, Venezuela, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia so they use a ton of lying about oil reserves and domestic production with a bunch of environmentalist hype to throttle back our domestic exploitation.

It's all there floating out over the gulf for you to see.

Also, it's a farce that our economy and health are worse because of the use of gasoline.

I challenge you to describe what our economy would look like without the discovery of oil and what our healthcare and life expectancy would be without petrochemicals such as pharmaceuticals, fertilizers and plastics. Simply review all such criteria before and after the discovery of oil.

Consider leaches for blood letting, the massive burning of wood or coal for cooking and heating and just the health implications of those alone for your indication that we are better off with gasoline.

1 person likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh boy, this is going to be good.

Tom

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just say "No" to feeding the troll...

5. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

That's cool, most of my power comes from coal.

6. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I'm not mistaken, Darell gets his electricity from a solar grid on his house. So, he does the talk as well as the walk. :)

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking the truth is trolling, who knew. ;) If abiotic oil exists, Peak Oil is indeed a figment.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And if cold fusion works in a can of diet Coke, I have my energy needs met right here on my desk.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so you're outright denying the existence of abiotic oil. There is simply a lack of consensus.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Certainly abiotic hydrocarbons exist. Some of our neighboring planets have seas of them. I don't deny that. The Earth may have some too, but there is nothing to suggest that they exist on the Earth in useful quantities, and certainly no reason to suspect that they are being regenerated.

Tom

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sunshine. The same that powers my house.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A common misconception. Just because there hasn't been an EV charging there doesn't mean they're sitting there idle. We keep track of usage of all public chargers (there are about 22,000 of them in CA right now - all public and all free). I use the chargers at my local Costco several times per month (mostly to check them and report) and over the ten years I've been doing that I've been told countless times by employees that "you're the first one to ever use thise chargers." NOT.

Every bit helps. I can drive another 20 miles for every hour I shop (and I can't recall a time I've gotten out of Costco in under an hour!). The new cars are capable of charging SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

Are you on the LEAF list?

Buying the Rav4EV was a HUGE hassle. I've written about it extensively and will provide a pointer at the end here. The cost was $42,000 before rebates.

Here's one little item I wrote in response to a Car and Driver article. Please first read the article (linked at the top) along with my response.
    http://evnut.com/darell_writing.htm#pat_bedard

1 person likes this.
  13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah. You must be confusing me with one of the WA EV drivers. Nope. My power comes from CA sunshine. ;)

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate like heck to let you down, Tom. But I just don't have the energy or time. There comes a point... ya know?

I'm taking Rae's advice! Rae is smarter than I am in many, many ways!

2 people like this.
  15. joninchandler

joninchandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would definitely look for a gas that advertises some kind of detergent in the gas...such as "Chevron with Techron" ect ect. The way I understand it, the additive helps keep the injectors cleaner and the gas burns cleaner as it combusts though your engine...leaving behind less deposits than "cheap" gas, that doesn't advertise the detergent. (thats why its cheaper) I have had bad experiences with "cheap" non detergent gas. Never again! In my opinion, it will cost you more in the long run.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mea culpa. Yes I did.

17. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't complain...2 hrs of complimentary charging getting 40 miles! It'd be really awesome if those approximately 22,000 charging stations were solar powered!

Been on the Leaf mailing list...got an email today. Was hoping to see the car at the most recent auto show, but was so surprised and disappointed that there wasn't one!

So decided it's best to withhold a reservation on one as wanting to check it out first along with what Toyota and Ford will have.

Appreciate you sharing your experience purchasing the RAV and the link. Thanks!

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i plug in at Costco because i need to make it home (well i could make it home but that brings my charge under 50%. with lead-acid batts, u do not want to make a habit of that) but the bigger reason is so other people can see me plug in.

it still amazes me that after all this time, there are still people out there that are completely clueless over hybrids and EV's

i also refuel both Priuses there. i had just refueled the SPM yesterday (wed the 21st) and lo and behold, the Costco station was getting refueled as well (which really kinda sucked because it took up the 2 left lanes causing a HUGE LINEUP to get gas. and first thing i did was time it THE FORCE it was 18 minutes waiting in line. another 3 minutes 21 seconds to fillup and pull out. doing it at 5.30 pm is not recommended!)

but i had the chance to talk with the guy who was filling the tanks and he had a truck that was labeled for a distributor in Tacoma which is 20 miles away (there is a gas distributor that is located less than 2 miles from the Tumwater Costco)

he states that all of the gas he delivers is treated. he pumps out of the large tank farm, then pulls up to a smaller tank and a premixed additive package is added. he states its not a lot because he tracks the weight and its less than 100 lbs per 10,000 lbs and does not have a single solitary clue as to what in the additive package or what it does. he thinks that additive packages are different from each vendor because there are 5 "little tanks" and he is required to pull up to a specific one.

now the real news. Costco is one of their largest volume customers so the double tankers he has is for Costco only. but for other gas stations, its not unusual for him to deliver to 2 or 3 stations with a single load.

also, they get all their gas from the main pipeline at the "Anacortes" terminal. the pipeline consists of 80-90% Alaskan/canadian oil and 10-20% Venezuelan/ South American oil. most of the north oil is BP...

oh well

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It'll be a while before they ALL are, but just because they all aren't solar powered doesn't mean that there aren't any, of course. In fact there are many... here's the closest one to me:
    Vacaville Dedication

20. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's so GREAT! :) THANKS for sharing the pics!