1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Michelin Tires Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by darkgiant, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've heard you mention 185/65R15 a couple of times now. 195/65R15 is the "right" size, but you'd asked for the "wrong" size? This is what you're using on your third gen? Just being a rebel, lol?

I pretty always have them deal with loose rims, don't need the agro: over-torque, damage, etcetera.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes that’s right 185s for less contact on road. My commute is all agricultural country paved roads. Most of us never drive over 55 mph much, mostly straight roads & no hills. The Lower 60 mpgs I get wouldn’t be possible if not for those conditions.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The smaller OD will be throwing the odometer off, making the car think you've travelled further than you have I think.

davecook89t likes this.
  4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Make sure whatever you get are LRR tires, I made that mistake on Michilins at Costco and am losing 5 mpg vs the tires that came with the car and yeah I'm upset, mostly with myself.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard lots of favorable comments about the Defenders. If you haven't already pulled the trigger on new tires, you might think about the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT. It gets really good marks on Tirerack dot com. I got mine from the Toyota dealer WITH alignment for $508 out the door. I've been really happy with them over the past 15,000+ miles -- especially in the rain.

Merkey likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got Michelin Primacy hxm4 215/45R17, that have the Green-X label, but they've been lacklustre, knocked down the mpg. Or something has. I guess what I'm saying: Low Rolling Resistance is not a yes/no thing. There's plenty of tires with their manufacturer's LRR badge, that aren't that great. And some lowly sleepers, that make no LRR claims, but do good.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    185 is the width of tire, not tire height or overall diameter :D

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The tire height is 65% of the width, so slightly smaller outside radius, theoretically 6.5 mm (13 mm on the diameter).

Tire Size Calculator

Serenity, Attila Fekete and Merkey like this.
  9. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got the tires installed and everything is going smoothly. The defenders definitely seem to be worth it as they are quiet (at least compared to the previous set of tires that were installed) and MPGs I am actually noticing an improvement. Overall, I'm satisfied, however, next time I'd rather just go to Costco, the wait time at Discount Tire just wasn't worth it just to save a few bucks, the folks at Costco had the X-Tours ready and were even willing to install it that same day. Of course, my experience may be unique compared to everyone else.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Probably depends on which specific location. I have three different ones I can go to. One is really quick. The other can be significant wait, while the third was a nightmare.

The local America's Tire (same company just different names) is always quick for me...

moto g(7) power ?