1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco warns about replacing OEM tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ian MacDonald, Aug 24, 2008.

1. treousa

treousa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got myself Michelin Primacy MXV4's a few months ago from CostCo... they didn't have 185's at the time, apparently no CostCo had them Nationwide, so I wanted the 195R60's... took about an hour worth of argument with the tire guy there, explaining why they could put slightly bigger tires on my wheels... finally, the manager walked in and said, sure, no problem, we do that all the time... um... ok, guess it'd be great if everyone there knew this.
    At any rate, I did have a big hit on economy for about 1 month or about 1000 miles, went from 57ish down to about 50, but I am now slowing coming back up to 53ish and have about 5k on the tires. I absolutely love these tires, they are worth every penny, and the slip/traction control hasn't kicked in nearly as much as before.
    I hope to have these tires until I hit 100k (about 43k on it now).

2. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree with many whom have posted, it's great to hear that big box stores like Costco are cognitive (either from customer complaints or company knowledge) about mileage hits, if even for the first 1000 or so miles.

Personally I would prefer my local dedicated tire shop over box stores (whos bottom line is ultimately corporate profits); rather than save a few bucks and betting on the knowledge of the employees at box retailers. (I know there are a lot of good knowledgeable employees out there, my experience with box retailers here is turnover is about a year if your lucky) I find comfort in knowing that my local shop is dedicated to none other than tire knowledge and experience.

With that said, the knowledge and investigation done here buy all of us on which tire fits our needs best, is what counts and where we end up purchasing them is relatively minuet.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I understand the issue from Costco's point of view - they don't want to get sued. Also, they're trying to ward off customer complaints by warning people ahead of time they may not get the same mileage they're used to. That sounds perfectly reasonable, as does making sure the chosen tire fits the rims properly. And in the case of the XL/SL load ratings, their actions are prudent.

But, when they refuse to replace an OEM tire with one that is clearly superior - basically anything but an Integrity - that's the part I don't get. From a purchaser's point of view, that's what took Costco out of contention for me. That's all I was saying - no big deal, I just got tires elsewhere, and was happy that they asked the right questions.

Edit: Perhaps I should have said "It seems ironic that safety rules prevent the installation of a safer tire." and left it at that.

4. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Costco is not your typical "box store". I've been a member for around 15 years, and the same people who worked there 15 years ago, when the store was named Price Club, are still there. We've grown older together and I always recognize most of them although they probably don't recognize me. Costco actually pays well and gives their employees benefits, one older gentleman working there told me he is there because he is retired and he needed health insurance for his sick wife. Don't try to compare Costco with WallyWorld or any of those other conservative (aka don't give a shit about anything including the USA) corporations. Costco cares about both their employees and customers unlike most of the other retail companies. Sorry for the thread hijack, you just hit a nerve.

5. panda

panda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    they flat-out refused to install anything other than oem size tires. they'd go for a different tire, but not a different size.

6. fish_antlers

fish_antlers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    who cares.. the stock tires on the prius are garbage.

7. badhazard

badhazard New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Costco will install a tire that is not OEM! As long as it is no bigger than 3% its original size. That is their policy.

Reason for not doing so: The Managers or Employees choose not to do it.
    Believe it or not every costco is different and the managers run it the way they want to.

I know for a fact that the director of Tires for costco. Does everything he can to make sure that costco does the proper and safe way of installing tires and making consumers aware. He passes the info to the tire center managers but if the managers dont pass it on to their employees it doesnt help.
    So dont be mad at Costco cause one manager/employee isnt doing their job. Go to another close Costco. See if they agree.

Question: Im trying to understand tire wear on prius. Iv seen them wear very early on some of the models. Maybe its a little heavY?
    Why are prius owners going to a bigger size like 195?

treousa, what made you choose the Michelin Primacy MXV4? they are a higher speed rating than you need. Plus they only last about 60k miles. If you get a 100k miles out of them you better send them to michelin.

8. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I totally agree with you. I think Costco and Price Club were two different stores then Costco bought Price Club then change Price Club to Costco.

9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly. Folks! Buying tires in America is like a black box of chocolates. You never know what you will get. My experience is that you buy MIJ OEMs from Tirerack or somewhere and do it right. I had to buy some GY Fuel max in an emergency and my MPG went up and not down. Luck of the draw for sure. Great tires will not skip a beat on MPG and the MIJ OEMs are to die waiting for.

10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    True enough!!!!!
    MPG drop is a real issue with some tires and will never get better until they are rotated off the car. I will stick to MIJ OEMs and replace them at 50-70K as needed. Never had to R&R tires before 50K except for road hazards which brings up another issue. SAMS, COSCO, Wal-Mart give you a great road hazard warranty. I was able to go online and order 4 EP20 MIJ/OEMs at Wal-Mart and have them installed at Wal-Mart. Tirerack has a warranty included these days. Not sure how good it is.

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen other tire stores refuse to install anything other than the OEM size tires. I have been using 195/65 for nearly the life of my car with no issues at all.

12. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably since some people put non LRR tires to get the cheapest options available, then complain about loss of MPG and want a refund.