1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could a 2009 Prius Water Pump Replacement Effect The Brake Actuator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kcorb88, Jun 20, 2020.

1. kcorb88

kcorb88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

This is my first post on this forum, so forgive me if this has been asked previously. I’ve owned a 2009 Prius for about four years now and absolutely love the car. The car was purchased from a sweet old lady (single owner) with 78,000 miles on the odometer; it now has 123,000. I’ve had no problems beyond regular maintenance until now. I wouldn’t even call it really a problem because I had to replace a leaking mechanical engine water pump, which I’ve read is a common replacement at the age and mileage the car is at. It only cost $350 parts and labor from a local hybrid shop in Long Beach, CA, which I felt was a fair price.

Anyway, my brake actuator had always been slightly noisy. I think the sound it made was within the normal range and it never ran constantly; however, after the water pump replacement a few weeks back, the brake actuator seems to be running less and more quietly. I don’t expect these systems affect each other in any way, but I’m still curious if replacing a bad mechanical engine water pump could affect the brake actuator in a positive way. This could totally be in my head, but if anyone has any thoughts or technical knowledge on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,
    Brock H.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i can think of, i don't see any connection.

3. kcorb88

kcorb88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks! I forgot to mention, I also had the front brake pads changed (first time I think due to a great Toyota service history from my date of purchase and prior). Could new, thicker brake pads possibly affect the brake actuator? Maybe it doesn’t have to build as much pressure to make rotor contact? Just throwing out ideas.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that's a possible yes. iirc, even changing the fluid can reduce the noises.

5. kcorb88

kcorb88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for your input!

bisco likes this.
  6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Now that you replaced the water pump, maybe the engine compartment has a lower temperature including the brake actuator and makes less noice. I can not think of any direct or indirect connection between the cooling system and the brake system.

kcorb88 likes this.