1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could a bad combo meter be the reason behind acceleration dying?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gavinsprius, Nov 23, 2022.

1. gavinsprius

gavinsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    previous thread for context: Ability to accelerate is slowly dying and I have no idea what to do | PriusChat

So I took in my prius to the dealer for a diagnostics to find out whats wrong, and theyre telling me the reason behind the lack of acceleration is the combo meter/ dash being out. I was aware of this problem and was planning on doing the DIY fix, but didnt think it was actually related to the main acceleration problem. is it possible that the combo meter being out is whats kneecapping my ability to accelerate? they also reccomended spark plug replacement among other issues, but said this is only because of mileage and not because they pegged it as the issue. Im worried theyre missing something more serious like the cat convertor being clogged, or the hybrid system failing, or fuel pump. The dashboard has gone in and out intermittently for years, and my cars performance didnt seem tied to whether or not it came on that day. im really worried theyre ignoring something more serious for the expensive and obvious fix

#1 gavinsprius, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i have read. how many miles on her? did they find any trouble codes?

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would use a "capable" scantool and monitor some data while driving to see how the engine (ICE) and hybrid systems are performing.

Minimum would be Dr Prius & Torque. Ideally you want something (more) that can check for codes in all ecu's. (see app review sticky thread at the top of the Technical discussion forum).

The idea is to monitor data for the ICE (MAF, RPM, and Short + Long Term Fuel Trims) during a foot to the floor acceleration. If something is affecting ICE operation enough to be noticeable, then you should see it on data.

RPM should go from 1000 to 5000, MAF sensor from 2 grams/sec (at 1000) up to 56 grams/sec (at 5000) , and Fuel Trims should be near 0% +/- 10%.

If you have something like exhaust restriction, that would limit RPM and MAF (airflow). If fuel pump is weak, then Fuel Trims would go high into + numbers.

Then on HV battery, when you go heavy accel, the battery amps can go over 100, briefly going up to 160amps. If the State Of Charge is always low, that could be a problem with the battery, or if the ICE is "weak", then it might not be able to propel the car while charging the HV battery at the same time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 mr_guy_mann, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022