1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could it be a sabotage using EMI?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cprashaant, Mar 10, 2010.

1. mickeyrom

mickeyrom New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you explain to me exactly what EMI is?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Electro
    Magnetic
    Interference

EMI is essentially any narrowband or wideband coherent energy, or chaotic "natural" energy, that disrupts an electronic circuit

Sometimes the disruption is so slight it isn't even noticed. Other times, EMI can cause a circuit to glitch, latch up, or act in unintended ways

If the EMI is strong enough, it can actually cause the circuit to outright fail

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What Jayman said. Electro Magnetic Interference.

There is a presentation and video somewhere on the Toyota site that explains the type of testing that Toyota does on all electronic components. They basically test parts individually and then test the complete vehicle in a lab. In the lab, they bombard the exterior of the vehicle and they have a smaller emitter that they bring into the interior of the vehicle while the car is operating on a dyno.

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NO...wait...it's true!
    I vaguely remember seeing the guy whose doing the EMI, ....somewhere ....in my dreams ....on another planet..
    :D

Sincerely,

ZC1

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amazing true story. We were doing EMI/EMC conformance testing on a given piece of hardware being considered for military use. The rep was there, bragging about how tough and durable the gadget was

"Blah blah blah direct lightning strike won't even faze it blah blah blah"

I went over to one of the females on our test team, as I knew she carried a stun gun in her purse (She found handgun recoil too objectionable). She smiles, hands me her stungun, I walk up to the gadget, and discharge the stungun right at the connector

ZAP! ZAP! ZAP! ZAP!

Yes, the gadget promptly fried itself

The gadget actually met all required EMI/EMC conformance requirements, and was eventually approved. But it was fun to let the wind out of that rep's sails

1 person likes this.
  6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Using a stungun on your Prius ECU(s) is definitely contraindicated. :madgrin:

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would be fun to try

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With medical electronics, one of our design challenges was dealing with defibrillators. Here you have this delicate electronic system trying to monitor microvolts from electrodes, and then some joker like Evan takes paddles and dumps a jillion volts into it. Real world requirements are generally unreasonable.

Tom

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can I use a stungun on people who pass me on the street with those Bluetooth cell phone receivers? I can never tell if it is a crazy person or just an obnoxiously loud telephone call. A stungun should stop the transmission. :madgrin:

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And that's on a GOOD day. Can you imagine when he's grumpy? He probably sets the defibrillator for 300 joules and zaps some unsuspecting person just to calm down

Note: I'm fairly certain that inducing temporary asystole doesn't hurt ONE BIT

Yes

Indeed, it should be mandatory that you zap some tool using such an obnoxious gadget

A crazy person, just a quick zap will fix them right up.

An obnoxiously loud person, feel free to use a Taser. I'll happily buy one for you

1 person likes this.