1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could 'Pulse and Neutral' be the new 'Pulse & Glide'?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusNeckBeard, Sep 27, 2017.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am not very good at normal pulse and glide.

Mostly because I don't want to glance at the screen to see if I've pressed the gas pedal just enough....But not TOO much. I need to keep my eyes on the road !

With the air conditioning on, I can't great the engine turning off...

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which is EXACTLY why I think that most of this monkey business of trying to stretch the last few drops out of your fuel usage is really A BAD THING. We have enough distractions already; don't need more.

And yes, the engine will run more when the A/C is in use; in some circumstances, a LOT more.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree with you. If you are unable to to P&G then don't. Safety first.

I think you have a skewed view of this. There is a time and a place for the hypermiling techniques. IMHO they are not to be used all the time and not even most of the time. In all situations safety is always first. At the same time, if you can significantly improve your fuel economy why wouldn't you. Some drivers are able to use these techniques and some are not. As you said these are a "colossal pain in the nice person". I would say to you, don't use them. I say to others, use them if you are able and they make sense to you.

BTW, I don't see anyone here in this thread advocating getting the "last few drops out of your fuel". IMHO that would be very extreme to do on a daily basis. What I do see is people trying to getting better fuel ecomony. Doesn't that make sense to you.

I hope that we can agree to disagree on this without becoming adversarial. Have a nice day my friend.

#43 bestmapman, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Geo Dude and fuzzy1 like this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. For me, the end does not justify the means.
    And sure EVERYBODY has a skewed view of EVERYTHING......in one way or another.;)

And I suspect that SHOULD be the case for most anybody who has to come to a place like this and ask a LOT of questions.......to be sure that they are doing it EXACTLY right. I think it's a "lemming" kind of thing.

But no hard feelings toward anybody who really discusses the issue and doesn't descend into "shooting the messenger". (y)

5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One good thing about hypermiling....it prevents me from talking or texting on the cell phone at the same time. I see my close friends multitasking like crazy from behind the wheel with their smart phones and I cannot believe I used to do that.

RMB likes this.
  6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is a game. It requires skill, experience and more than a little knowledge about the car to maximize mpg. Like all games, if you don't want to play then don't. I think the lemming comment was unnecessary.

Geo Dude likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe. But do you think it is not true ??

I think a lot of stuff these days happens just because people feel a need to "keep up with the crowd".

8. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What other folks do is their business. I admit I do not always understand why they do the things they do. I shrug my shoulders and shake my head a lot, especially in todays political climate. I hypermile because I am a retired engineer, I drive a cool, high tech car, and it is a fun game. I do not know my lifetime mpg and do not care. I try to maximize each tank's mpg. Do that and the rest will take care of itself. I do not care if the "real" mpg is a bit less than what the car is telling me. Even after nine years I still see it as a challenge.

Geo Dude, RMB and bestmapman like this.
  9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When they are piloting a deadly weapon down the road and a mistake can KILL other people, it then becomes my (our) business too.

10. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    i agree don't do anything unsafe. If you can't do anything safely don't do it

Hmmm... speeding, texting will driving, talking on cell phones, eating, ...etc...those are really unsafe. Concentrating on driving, awareness of your surroundings, not unsafe at all.

Geo Dude and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is how I see it too. I can't try to maximize FE while talking on the phone. Or texting and googling stuff. Or eating. Most importantly, I have learned to give myself plenty of time to spare, because I've found that being in a hurry kills fuel economy. My punctuality has improved since focusing on fuel economy. It's nice not having to begin a conversation with the words, "sorry I'm late..."

Geo Dude and RMB like this.
  12. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Offtopic here, sorry. How did you get this on the display?

13. wnovak

wnovak New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My opinion for what it's worth

I do not believe pulse and glide is as efficient a fuel saving technique as driving at a steady speed at the average of the pulse and glide speed. The reason is that air resistance is a significant drag on fuel mileage even at relatively low speed, 30 miles an hour or less. Air resistance is also proportional to the square of the speed of the vehicle. So a car traveling 30 miles an hour has 2.25 times the air resistance of a car traveling 20 miles an hour been though it's only covering distance 1.5 times as quickly.
    Driving at a steady low speed allows the engine to turn on and off, just as pulse and glide does. So where does the benefit of pulse and glide come from?
    In addition, no matter how you look at it, it requires a certain amount of energy to get from point A to point B. That energy is really the sum of all of the resistances encountered on the trip. A perfect car with frictionless bearings, no rolling resistance in the tires, an no air resistance with regenerative braking would never burn any fuel since Ebert stop would recover the total energy of every start and rolling at a steady speed would require no energy on average since you would recover the energy used going up each hill when you went down the other side. So the key to maximizing mileage is minimizing resistance to motion which includes engine friction, tire rolling resistance, air resistance, etc. Even driving on wet pavement decreases mileage because energy gets used to squeeze the water out from under the tires.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The primary benefit from P&G comes from either increasing the amount of time the ICE isn't spinning at all, or (much more applicable to non-hybrids) from letting it idle when steady-speed operation would put the ICE in a very-non-ideal operating condition on its BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) chart.

With many old non-hybrids not geared for efficiency, the idle fuel consumption rate was actually less than the power wastage of non-optimized gearing at common steady cruise speeds. Most newer non-hybrids have better gearing, narrowing the conditions where N-ICE-On P&G is beneficial. Prius has gone a long way towards getting rid of that benefit (when ICE is spinning) altogether.

Geo Dude likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    True. Still: there are so many opportunities to pulse and glide, due to a slowdown in traffic ahead. Especially if you follow the car in front at a generous distance, you can very often "eat" that buffer, avoid the use of brakes, coast up to them. Then another pulse if/when traffic gets moving.

Geo Dude and fuzzy1 like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also at a steady speed, occasionally, the engine doesn't turn off. You have to lift off the pedal slightly and then reapply the pedal to tell the computer to turn off the engine. In that case, you're now in EV mode and using up battery power (which will have to be recharged either by the engine or through regenerative braking).

The idea of pulse and glide is to use the engine has its more efficient operating range (the pulse part) so that means using it at a higher rpm, in its sweet spot as opposed to cruising at a lower, less efficient rpm). The glide part means you're rolling down the road for as long as possible with the engine off.

The only counter to that I found is that around 65-70km/h, you can run the engine at a special fuel saving mode (assuming MG1 is disconnected so the engine isn't charging the battery). At 70km/h, I can cruise like you suggested while the engine is consuming (according to the instant fuel economy gauge) 2.5L/100km (94mpg). Below that, I P&G between 60-40km/h or 50-30... though 50-30 is hard given that traffic has increased since I had the Gen 2 so people are impatient as driving times have increased over the last 12 years.

Maarten28, fuzzy1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is not a technique that requires belief. It may not be intuitive, but it works. If you have a ScanGauge, you can easily check that your mileage increases using pulse and glide as compared to steady speed driving. While your analysis of air resistance is correct, and at higher speeds it is a major factor in lowering mileage, at 30mph it is negligible.

18. bentbow

bentbow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where can I find an advanced guide to efficient driving? As in, how exactly to p and g, etc

19. Dead12VBattery

Dead12VBattery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you had headwind one way and tailwind the other. On my commute, I almost always get better fuel efficiency on the way back because the wind usually blows in the same direction.

Geo Dude likes this.
  20. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was the car warmed up at both ends? I'm always saddened to see the super-great mileage I can get if I start measuring a few miles into a trip. (Saddened because of how much the initial mile or so really drags things down. In my case, the car's garaged underground so it doesn't get too hot or cold while sitting there, but that is two floors it has to climb at the start of any trip. And, of course almost 0.2 miles of absolute coasting at the end of a trip.