1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could reporting less than the sale of the vehicle get me into trouble?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChrisPR77, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have heard about people doing cash deals reporting less than they paid for the vehicle for years. I had a guy dealing out of his home tell me this while I was looking for my current prius. He said he consistently reports sale of 500$ for cash deals. I was thinking of doing this for myself. I paid $5000 for the car and would like to report $500.

The DMV here in LA requires I do the transfer of title within 10 days. The earliest appointment they could make was 10 business days. So they can barley meet their own requirements. Lines are super long and a waste of time if you don't make an appointment. It makes me a little nauseous thinking of that DMV hand over fist'ing money and we the people not getting much in return. LA also has terrible roads with pot holes everywhere.

Could this process get me into trouble or is it a legit loophole?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not legit, are you crazy? People do it, but it's definitely not legit.

If you have AAA, do it there

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cheating the state out of its sales tax is stupid. If you get caught its jail time.
    people who are greedy get caught and paying 5000 and claiming 500 is pretty greedy.
    That and the fact you actually go in a car forum and ask about it tells me your not to bright either.
    So really greedy and dumb is a bad combo.

4. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see myself as greedy. The original owner paid sales tax. Why should we have to pay it again? Like I stated our roads are shit and I can't even get my paperwork processed by the dmv in a timely matter. You have it wrong sir. They have a lot of money I don't.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in mass, they go by the blue book, don't care what you paid for it. i guess they realized people were lowballing them.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also don't agree with the California use tax whenever there is a car transfer. I think a car should only be taxed once, when new

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we also pay an inheritance tax on money already taxed, but not to the same person.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This I believe has to exceed 5 million

bisco likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is illegal and if you are caught you will pay a fine. If it is worth risk, go ahead and do it.

Don't try to justify saying California has plenty of money. We don't know if they do or not. If you disagree with the law vote politicians in that are against higher registration fees.

People are allowed to gift cars and write down a small number so this is not a loophole. The taxes are collected when you report that gift as income. Doubtful many people report it.

My $0.02? Risk to reward is not worth it. Registration fees are a few $100. Penalty fees are a lot higher. Not worth it. Illegal front window tints. My fix-it ticket was $25. That was a lost gamble but the risk is no biggie.

edthefox5, Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Only on estates larger than $5.5 million for an individual... $11 million for a couple.

No, I'm not an accountant... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Simbaboy, Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've done with my motorcycle, my used 63 Impala, my Gen3 and gen2. The gen2, we did it In front of the DMV officer. Everyone effing does it.
    Go ahead and do it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol! Hahaha.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I sold my 2006 Scion XB, I used the money as a down payment on my 2015 Prius. I put in the actual amount sold, and used the fees charged to me as a write off. (I use my car for business). I quit low balling the amount sold decades ago. I like the peace of mind.

mmmodem and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, and by the way, all you need is one Franchise Tax Board or IRS audit in your life, and I think you will find the few 100 dollars you pay now no big deal.

edthefox5, bisco, mmmodem and 2 others like this.
  15. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The line above where you sign the documentation in California reads "I certify (or declare) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct."

The penalty for perjury if you get caught in your little scheme is up to four years in state prison and a criminal conviction you get to drag around for the rest of your life. You decide if the amount of money you save is worth the risk.

edthefox5 and Merkey like this.
  16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My understanding of California DMV practice is that if they don't think the valuation is reasonable, then they use their own. So claiming a $5000 sale as $500 isn't going to fly. They see thousands of transactions, and probably maintain a list of "reasonable" values. Now if you want to just shave the transaction (report the $5000 as $4000?), then that might get past their screening. Still illegal, but your call if you think the value is worth the risk of being identified as a problem case.

bisco likes this.
  17. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have AAA. I do understand they process DMV paperwork in a timely manner. So what is your take on trying to cheat the system? It seems like this dealer is doing it all the time.
    I got $900 for my 2000 honda civic that I sank some repairs into the last 3 years I had it. They will want 10% for the 5000 I spent on the Prius or 500$ over half of what I want to put forward on the new used vehicle for repairs and maintenance. Very frustrating. The patriots think I am greedy? Really?

18. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't agree with it to begin with but the guy who said Mass went with BB is a better written law. Why would you pay less tax if it is a gift? Sounds like poorly thought out stuff to me.

19. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you low ball them real bad as has been suggested to me by going 5000 to 500 or worse?

20. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This patriot needs to go watch wikileaks we steal secrets and get back to us. Why did he buy a prius in the first place?