1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could someone help me with the differences in windshields?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by toyotatrd, Sep 3, 2011.

1. toyotatrd

toyotatrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have noticed that some 2010 Prius Windhsields have a black vertical black strip that starts at the top of the windshield and goes down. Then there are some that do not have this. Does anyone know what the difference may be?:confused:

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you mean a strip like the one in this photo which shows the rain sensor (which is not available in the US)?

[​IMG]

Or do you mean the sun strip across the whole top of the windshield and is about 4-5 inches long? I thought all cars have that.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe what you're referring to is the enclosure for the wires that connect the Homelink / self-dimming rear view mirror.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm thinking that i could also be prii with the radar cruise control and such...

doesn't it have a few things in that location that would make it seem thicker? (more of a question for others, not op) i think there is a camera there.

btw... this is what i ask random people whom ask prius questions: did it have a sun roof and what kind of rims? people tend to notice the 17's on a prius while the standard rims look boring to people. the sun roof explains itself as a package 4... a few have said the headlights looked trippy yet didn't notice the 17's that follow with the LED projectors.

5. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, I'm in an airplane right now, not the car, but IIRC, there's black stuff at the top of the windshield probably for blocking sun near the rear view mirror. The AT package has an area where this goes up higher, so the camera can see out the windshield. The camera itself looks out above the rear-view mirror.

As to the original question, I'd second the guess that it's the homelink mirror; next time you see one, take a look at the mirror and see if it's a big, beefy mirror; the homelink one has a larger border around the mirror, while the regular one is much more compact.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think the stripe you are referring to starts at the top in the center and goes down to where the mirror is mounted. As previously mentioned it is there to hide the wires for the home link transceiver and the auto dimming mirror.

7. toyotatrd

toyotatrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Stream, Tumbleweed..... I believe you are correct. Here is my situation.... I have the windshield that does not have it, but I had the autodimming mirror installed. The windshield for our car is being replaced due to a crack in it and I was hoping they would put the windshield in with the black stripe to hide the wires. THey are the same windshield size I believe.... or are they? I think the only difference is the stripe.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The black strip is a piece of plastic. I'm sure they can find the part number for that. There shouldn't be any difference in size of windshield. The difference is that the OEM windshield is an "acoustic windshield" so it has extra layers of lamination to reduce road noise.

9. toyotatrd

toyotatrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tideland, I know what black strip you are talking about... it is on the inside of the car.... it is a black plastic piece that covers up the wires from the inside going to the headliner from the auto dimming mirror. The black strip I am talking about is made in the glass and it runs vertical covering up the wires so you can't see them from outside the car. It almost looks like a vertical piece of tint.

10. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A picture would be really helpful...

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, a picture would help for one and telling us the situation from the start would have helped even more lol.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The size of the windshield will be the same. You need to ask for a windshield for cars equipped with the Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink, that option was standard on the Prius IV and V.

There are actually two windshields that have the stripe you are referring to one is for the Prius IV and the V without ATP and that's the one you want. The other is for Prius V cars with ATP, it is almost the same but it has some of the shading dots left out so the LKA camera can have a clear view.

I am not a windshield expert but I remember this from last spring when I had to have my windshield replaced. I got together with the gal and the auto glass place and we looked at what was available to be sure they got the right one for my car.

13. toyotatrd

toyotatrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]

This is the stripe I am talking about... this is not my car, but this is the best picture I could find to explain.... my car color is silver. If you look toward the top of the windshield, you will see a black stripe that runs vertical.... this keeps you from seeing the wires from the outside.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And now I know what black strip you're talking about. It's the one on the outside so people can't see the wires when they look at the car. Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure if it is installed after the fact or whether Toyota puts that strip with the windshield. If it's the latter, then there's a windshield that differentiates between model levels that have manual day/night mirror and those with auto-dimming mirrors.