1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could the 12v battery be causing this?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by That_Prius_Car, Jun 8, 2010.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today while I was out driving in the country, my 2001 Prius with 140,900 miles pulled an error code. The red triangle popped up on the dash along with a "Check Engine" light and the car symbol with the "!" through it came on the MFD. I was able to get it back home safely by the way. The car had a weak 12v battery as it is, and I have been planning on replacing it but haven't gotten around to it yet. What I want to know though is, can a weak 12v battery cause those warning lights?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The computers that drive our car are all dependent upon quality 12 V. supply and once the car is started and running, the power comes from the inverter. However, power problems can cause all sorts of 'strange stuff' and misleading symptoms.

One of the best things to do is to read the 12 V. battery voltage when the car is running or in "Ready." If it is 13.9, you're OK . . . now. But there can be transients when starting and a weak battery can lead to sags and all sorts of random stuff.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, thanks Bob!
    Yeah, I think its the battery.

5. jk450

jk450 New Member

Charging current is supplied by the DC-DC converter, not the inverter.

When a weak 12V battery is suspected, battery voltage must be measured with the vehicle OFF (not READY). With the vehicle running, one is measuring charging voltage from the DC-DC converter, not battery voltage.

6. jk450

jk450 New Member

When and how was this determined?

Yes.

7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have a ScanGuage II and it read out 11.8v when the car was off, and dropped very fast.

8. jk450

jk450 New Member

Then replacing it should be the first step.

I had asked for additional information because I wanted to more confident that your 12V battery needed replacement, before suggesting that step. Thanks for responding.

9. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the proper battery for replacement? The one we had in there was a Panasonic, rather large and heavy. Now I ordered a replacement, it was much smaller, didn't quite fit in the bracket of the trunk, AND the terminals are too small for the clamps.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It sounds as if the original battery had been replaced with a kit that used a different size battery and put SAE clamps on the terminals. You've bought a replacement, OEM battery with terminals sized for the original clamps. What to do is going to be a challenge.

Can you exchange the battery?

It may also be possible to order the original sized clamps from Toyota. Alternatively, get them from a salvage.

Bob Wilson

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The proper battery would be another Panasonic, if you can order that from your Toyota dealer.

If that battery is no longer available, then you could improvise by finding another battery that will fit into the space.

If you want to go back to the original GS battery, then you'll have to replace the terminal connectors and the battery bracket (since a larger bracket was required for the Panasonic battery).

12. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, no need to reply on this post. I flipped the car today and its all gone now. I'll post pics later.