1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could use some advice with a CEL issue and a hood problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoshPrius, Jul 9, 2016.

1. JoshPrius

JoshPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys!

So I finally got my first Prius(and first car). She's a 2004 with 206k miles on her and so far so good. I do have two issues that I was hoping the masters around here could help with.

1) My CEL came on and Advance gave me error code p0446. I read that a common cause is the gas cap; So after a trip to the station a couple days ago I made sure it was extra tight(7 clicks). The CEL still hasn't gone off and I was wondering if there's a way to pinpoint the cause of the error because I really hope it's not the charcoal vapor chamber part since that seems to be a pricey fix.

2) My hood won't completely close. I wish I could post pictures but I'm at work so that's a no go. But I noticed it after doing an oil change yesterday. I popped the hood, clicked the safety latch and the hood came up;Awesome right? But then I noticed that the hood will close and I can't open it unless I click the latch. But there's about a 1/2 inch gap from the hood not staying completely depressed like it did before.

I know that sounds weird and I'm doing a terrible job of describing it ~___~ But I'd appreciate any tips with this.

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

extra clicks won't help if the cap gasket is bad. in fact, you maybe damaging it.

if you're going to diy this puppy, get mini vci and subscribe to toyota tech info. that way, you'll have everything the dealership techs have for under a hundred bucks.

all the best!(y)

JoshPrius likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can try disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the codes, see if it recurs. Normally the car has to go through a "drive cycle" to reset itself, and depending on your driving habits that might take a while. Best bet is to get the MiniVCI noted above. If you have an old Win7 or XP laptop, it'll only cost about $25.

Don't drive the car if the hood isn't latched completely and correctly! It may be a misalignment of the hood latch, or a linkage problem, or even frame misalignment from a collision. You may be able to align it with common tools.

Robert Holt and JoshPrius like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Make sure you didn't leave something from the oil change procedure like a rag or tool in the way of the hood latch. Also, there are two alignment rubber bumpers about 20 inches away from either side of the latch mechanism that may be way out of adjustment (long shot guess). Finally as others have said, it could just be a loose latch mechanism that needs retightening or possibly cleaning/lubrication from gunk build up over the years.

JoshPrius likes this.
  5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re point #2:
    Whoa Nelly! Hokey Smoke, Bullwinkle, I think your hood is on the SAFETY catch rather than the main latch. Please do NOT drive the car above 25 mph or so until you can get it latched on the main latch, in which case you should NOT see that 1/2 inch gap, I recommend this because if I am correct and it is on the safety catch, and if that catch gives way when you drive it over 40 mph or so, the result is that the hood pops all the way up and is then blown back through the windshield . Unfortunately, that is where you and the passenger are sitting , and having a large sheet of aluminum slice through the windshield at you is apt to end very badly. Please be careful.

Re #1:
    I would agree with most likely culprit is gasket on gas cap, but absolutely buy a new one rather than just trying to over tighten it, which could even crack the cap or fuel tube threads.

6. Freeus5

Freeus5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I am having a similar issue. It's been happening a LOT since my last oil change. Hood pops up while driving. When I look inside the latch, I see that the main latch seems to be frozen in place. But the hood does go all the way down, just pops up really easily, and then is obviously only on the safety latch. It's also possible that the people who did my oil change pulled it out of whack. Valvoline folks, I did call them when I noticed this, but they didn't seem to think it was their issue. I'm going to take it back there tomorrow. But I have been driving like this for a while now. It's beginning to happen all the time, so it's kinda scary. And they are not close by, so I have to go on the highway to get to them. nail biter .... would spraying some wd40 on the latch possibly help?