1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could Wind Chill Pearl be limited to higher level trims?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Dec 27, 2022.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I spoke to a dealer about ordering an LE 2023 in wind chill pearl. They said that it can be ordered and will be white but it won’t be called wind chill pearl and will be different than the 2022 color, but still white.

Are they limiting wind chill pearl/pearlized white to higher end trims? Does he just mean it is a different version of pearlized white? Are there 2 white colors for the ‘23? Or was he just…wrong?

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    IIRC, there was a plain white among the 8 colors in the original Japanese release. So I guess it's possible. But I wouldn't bet my house on it just yet. There's a lot of uncertainty out there that won't be completely cleared up until cars are actually rolling off the assembly line and onto ships bound for SF/LA/Sea/wherever.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s possible Alpine White/Super White will be offered on the LE but Toyota hasn’t done that in a while.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's usually on the L or even fleet only.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Was that white pearlized/tricoat?

6. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    L as opposed to LE right? A little worried because there is no trim below LE on the site right now

7. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hm, in the unlikely event that they do limit WCP to more expensive trims and I have already reserved an order an LE by the time this detail emerges, will dealers usually be able to alter your order that far down the line (to upgrade the trim to get the desired color?). I usually don’t order this early in a release but it seems if I don’t jump on it soon i’ll be waiting another year…

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those are Toyota's basic, flat white colors.

Toyota has an L trim on some models. It is the true stripper, low cost trim, and is usually only available to fleet customers. Toyota will list it to the general public at times. They did so with the Prius for a few years when there was cheaper competition available.

The L, and maybe an LE, get the plain white vs the pearl tricoat because of pricing.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It's a flat, non-metallic white.

10. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Oh man that would suck i think, i hope wcp is available on the LE lol dam

11. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Summary:
    A) Toyota builds what ever they want to.
    B) Dealers get some percentage allocation, based on history, the position of the stars, the Tarot Cards, and how much Toyota likes/hates that Dealer.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1BWDsf90U
    MYSTERY OF TOYOTA ALLOCATION EXPLAINED BY ENGINEER! - How to beat the system when buying 2022 Tundra
    AutomotivePress
    Nov 19, 2021

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3UozyzRAw
    HOW we order YOUR vehicle! Dealership vehicle ordering process!
    Toyota World
    24.2K subscribers
    Oct 31, 2021

Good Luck!

12. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Interesting, so when I have the dealer “order” a specific color and trim and he puts me in the allocation, is he not actually calling toyota and requesting my specific combo? Like instead is he just reserving that combo for when it (hopefully) arrives in the random combination of cars he gets?

13. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes and no. :)
    The dealer does send the info to Toyota.
    However, Toyota decides "on it's own", on what cars, SUV, trucks they are going to build, the models, the trims, the options, and the colors.
    Toyota is in business to make money. So, if a zillion people want a Rav4 Hybrid, Toyota is going to try to build (and sell:)) a zillion Rav4 Hybrids. :)
    Also, Toyota has only so much capacity. So, if you want some unpopular color, or unpopular/ "undesirable for the factory" option, that can affect things.

My salesperson was great. I really wanted paint protection film from the factory. My salesperson told me straight out that is was very unlikely that Toyota would offer that on a new Prime (during 2022), much less it happening on a Metallic Gray Prius Prime Limited (my requirements ).
    As it was, it was ~6+ months for me to get my car.
    Like the lottery, some people do get lucky, and get 100% exactly what they wanted, and very quickly.

In general, you specify your requirements. It differs for every person. Your salesperson is not a psychic.
    For me, my requirements were: "Metallic Gray Prius Prime Limited, with an all Black Interior, with any options".
    I told my salesperson what options I would like. But, since the options on all 2022 Prius Primes, were also Dealer installable, I didn't care what options the car came with. :)

Some people care only about the Trim-level, they don't care about the car color, or the interior color.
    Some people care only about the color, they don't care about the Model/Trim-level.
    Some people care only about the "out the door cost".
    Some people, like me, care only about the Trim-Level and the colors(body and interior).

Good Luck!

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is simply false. There is only one white, which is a three-coat paint with a $495 price premium. It is not limited to trims. It is exactly the same windchill pearl white as in Gen 4.

15. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    good, i dont want them trying to sell me some kind of L/fleet trim as LE. He must have just been confusing it with how it is on camrys or corollas or something

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. Toyota.com only shows one white option.