1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Couldn’t press break, then 12v battery died. Replaced it, car won’t drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Msie, Jan 30, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Ops car didn't have any issues, other than dead battery
    2. Did attempt jump start and apparently successful (hoping this info is correct)
    3. Put in new battery and no start

All this is telling me the error lies with the battery or it's connections

padroo likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be absolutely correct. It may be the battery or it's connections. And I can't stop anyone from whatever level of DIY investigation or experimentation they want to embrace.
    My only warning is that at some point, disconnecting and reconnecting, and/or hooking up jump starts that may or may not even be needed, come with some risk. That's when you can accidentally cause OTHER problems. Then what may of originally ONLY been a battery or connection problem can snowball into other problems.

At some point, I cut losses and simply go have it diagnosed.
    If they come back and say it was a loose battery connection or that the new 12 volt was simply not charged up properly?
    Well..I lost some money.
    But I'd rather that, then continued shot's in the dark that put the entire electrical system at risk.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I have an idea. I could be a bad inverter. Had the same situation, no Ready, everything else worked and would go into Neutral to allow a tow setup. Go to the dealer. The 12v probably had nothing to do with it except it does not get charged if the inverter is not functional. There are other possible issues so hope for the best.

4. Msie

Msie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this a warranty item? I had it towed to the dealership this morning, waiting to hear what’s wrong.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is under certain conditions. One would be the hydrid system warranty which I believe goes to 100,000 miles, longer in Calif. That's an easy one if you are under the mileage. Another is a recall that impacts certain vin numbers. That recall sent a letter to registered Prius v owners at the time and required a firmware update at the time to help save the inverter. Not sure what you have, your profile says 2010 but you indicate a 2013 "Prius" in the first post. You also don't specify your location all of which helps to get better responses.

6. Msie

Msie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the car towed to the dealership this morning, and despite double checking the new 12v battery I put in at the urging of someone on another forum, it turns out the battery just wasn’t completely connected; apparently there was some little pin that wasn’t reconnected.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the dealership charge you? I know...silly question but I'm curious

8. Msie

Msie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid $189, this was for the tow and for the diagnostic charge ($98 I think) but they didn’t charge for reconnecting it. The guy also made me feel better and told me they charge $129 in labor alone for installing a new battery, so it was only really a $60 mistake. Kind of.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've installed a few of these batteries before and I can't think of a pin in the installation process. It's just the positive and negative terminal.