1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Countdown to 2010 unveiling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jan 6, 2009.

1. zulu6334

zulu6334 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, this isn't a reply, but rather a question. I'm a fairly new Prius owner (Aug 2008) and dearly love the Prius. In fact, I've bragged to whomever cares to listen that it is the best car I have ever owned.

My question is this. Will the Lithium Ion batteries going into the 2010 plug-in Prius be available for installation in earlier models (specifically the 2008), which, in effect, will give them a better battery system and much better mileage? If so, any idea how much the conversion will cost?

If I'm on the wrong thread, please forgive me. I am new to this.

Thanks for your help,

Joe
    Tucson, AZ

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Zulu, more than likely the batteries in the 2010 will not be backward compatible. Further, it's not at all clear that they'll be l Li+.

3. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, the Li-ion batteries planned for the 2010 model will not be available right away. The first models will still sport a NiMH battery. I've read that the first Li-ion batteries will be offered in the PHEV version and only to fleet customers. I'm pretty certain that the Li-Ion batteries, once they are available from Toyota, won't work in the 2004 Prius without major electrical modifications.

Perhaps the real question is this: once Toyota offers the Li-ion batteries to the public, will it be simple to upgrade an early 2010 model from NiMH to Li-ion/PHEV, without a whole lot of electrical system modifications (perhaps just a dealer re-programming of the charging control system)?

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    sorry if it has been mentioned yet, but has anyone read the press release???

they say it will have the intelligent parking assist option available (finally)

and they hint at a touring version with 215 / 45 / r17 tires

with the parking, other features, and the sunroof, i hope its out of my reach
    like $600 + a month, or i might jump on the new one instead of doing
    what i should do, and wait 2 1/2 - 3 years to pay this one off

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I watched it and I was unimpressed by the estimated 50 MPG (I already average 54), so I will start looking at some of the plug-in mods now in peace.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Current estimates are 46 combined. New estimates are 50mpg combined, but the real gain is supposed to be highway mpg due to the larger, torquier ICE spinning at lower RPM. We haven't seen actual EPA estimates yet.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The estimate based on the Japanese test cycle is 3 MPG more in the City and 4 MPG more on the Highway. This is with 195mm tires compare to the Iconic Prius 185mm.

[​IMG]

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There will not be a separate Touring Edition or an option for a beefed up or "tuned" suspension.

From the press release, it sounds like the 2010 suspension is much better than the Gen II standard suspension.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What?? Why not compare to another Toyota that has a longer range than the EV1 had... and seating for five - the Rav4EV that I'm currently driving? EV doesn't mean tiny and two-seater.

Pictures and video and THREE differently-equipped CARS!

All it does is run the ventilating fan. Does this automatically when there is enough insolation. Max output is 80W. Might be able to use 60. More than enough to spin the fans.

2010 will have NiMH. At least at first.

We asked the chief engineer - in answer he laughed. Then said no, conversion would not be possible. To which somebody in our group replied, "well, at least not from Toyota." :)

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was impressed that the presenter of the new Prius acknowledged that we Prius Chatters "know how to properly inflate the tires" :p

They seemed to genuinely be interested in our opinions, knowledge, and experience. And, they invited us to "disassemble" the cars. Kudos to Hyo Silver for getting the cabin air filter out in under a minute! :D

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here we all are:
    [​IMG]