1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Courier CT update: first problem detected

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by Raidin, May 17, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Same here. It appears that only one of the half dozen stations I pass in the day is top tier.

2. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    you can effectively turn any gas into "top tier" by adding detergent on your own.

I add in some Redline approx 500 miles before every oil change.

3. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Techron works fine, too. I used to put it in my Gen 2 every few fillups.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  4. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    I am so glad to hear that the CT is doing so well as a high mileage vehicle. I just bought my wife a nice little CT with just under 100K on the clock. She is lovin' the upgrade from her 3rd Gen Prius.

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I was considering a CT as well...also great as a 'stealth hybrid'. Prices seem to be coming down nicely but there still is that 'Lexus premium'.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll be going back to Klean Strip paint thinner once I use up my Techron supply. It has the same compound that Gumout and other injector cleaners contain, and all those cleaners use petroleum distillates as a general solvent and carrier for the more active ingredients.

The paint thinner I had before wasn't the low or no odor type, and I'll try to get in again on the believe the lighter fraction provides a wider range of cleaners to the mix. Some 91% isopropyl alcohol thrown in won't hurt. I'm thinking of trying some straight biodiesel as an additive. It keeps diesel systems clean.

Acetone is also an effective cleaner. Much of the acetone improving fuel economy proof is likely due to it cleaning out a gunky system. It just can damage the car's paint if it gets on it.

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Note that the active ingredient in Techron is "polyether amine (PEA)". This is the ingredient you want to look for in any of these cleaning additives. Most lower-priced additives do not have it.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, I haven't notice any difference between using the Techron and the paint thinner. Though I have heard the Techron is better for cleaning out a neglected engine.

Then again, the ethanol many of us are forced to use is also an effective fuel system cleaner. In older cars that have run just straight gas their entire life, it can cause the same problems as biodiesel in older diesels. It loosens up the built up gunk that can clog things up.

9. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ehhh, six of one half a dozen of the other. ethanol expedites seal erosion

10. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    345k is pretty good. I just read about your head gasket issue. I'll post this anyway. If your main seal is leaking, high mileage motor oil like valvoline max life have seal conditioners in them to prevent seals (main/valve/pulley seals) from leaking. I have personally used the atp reseal to stop my main seal leak on my ridgeline and has not leaked in 65k. It saved me 1500$ as well.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.39.34 PM.png

j12piprius likes this.