1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cover for top half of my 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Daryl K, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just recently purchased another new car (2020 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid) which went into the garage space formerly occupied by my Prius. The Prius isn't going anywhere for a while, and will even be given to my daughter next year when she turns 16.

The problem however is that I live in the Midwest, so snow, frost and even heavy dew in the warmer months make parking outside a PITA first thing in the morning. I am not necessarily looking for a full car cover, but something that covers all of the glass and stays in place even in windy conditions would be great. Obviously I don't care about dew or frost on the hood, and I can brush snow off from there in seconds as well, so it's primarily the roof and glass I am thinking of.

Anyone using anything like this that has worked well for them and they can recommend?

2. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tried about 4 different ones. This is the best by far:
    Car Windshield Snow Sun Cover Shade Protector Winter Dust Frost Guard Waterproof | eBay

I did modify the roof section by stitching in several heavy duty disk magnets to hold it down. Wind getting under either edged can make a sail out of this much fabric easily.
    The hood is some kind of synthetic (2015 model) and magnets don't work anyway. I'm considering adding a small suction cup, which was necessary on my last experiment with a different type. Fenders are metal if you wanted to add a magnet there.

The front hooks fit on a spoke in the mag wheels, and the rear hooks go on the rear wheel well edge. Elastic is OK for now but may/probably need replacement in a year. It's not high quality. I'll use a solid strap and maybe a foot of quality elastic for the replacement if the main material holds up.

The previous best experiment was OK. It needed more modification, did not cover as well, was more hassle to get on easily. It started to sun and weather rot out after 2 years of continuous weather exposure in the Pacific NW.The current trial has only been a couple months so I don't know the longevity, but for that price I'm not terribly concerned, especially since it works pretty well right out of the package.

Do not get the type that are held down by closing 'wings' in the doors for long term storage use. Rain will leak in via gaps or wicking along the fabric. They are OK for good weather and no wind. I have a quilted/reflector one I often use for coverage when I'm out and about. That's quick to put on and sufficient for a few hours in good weather. It beats those obnoxious inside sun shades and works better.

mikey_t likes this.
  3. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! This was the kind of input I was looking for.

It looks like you didn't worry about the back and just left it uncovered? I was imagining something just like this but went over the back glass too.

4. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've thought about that. Never seen a separate cover for the back. I think for that you have to get a whole car cover. Leaves and crap does get in the gap, which need to be cleaned out once in awhile. The front one does help protect the vent in the front under the wiper blades.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you going to drive the car somewhat on regular basis? If not, the full cover is better, but I would more worry about the 12v battery during storage than the exterior appearance. I park my car outside 24/7/365 without much problem. Yeah, snow and ice take a bit of effort for removal each morning, but considering putting the cover on and off each night and morning, the total effort is about the same.

That being said, I am intrigued by the windshield cover @fmerkel posted the link. The fact it covers the front side windows and mirrors is perfect for avoiding thick ice built-up during freezing rain events. I think I am going to order one to see how well it works in our weather. Thanks for posting the link.

upload_2020-10-17_17-44-55.png

6. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oooo, that looks ugly.Wonder if it'll get frozen down?
    In the Pac. NW we have lots of rain, but rare snow. I have not had this particular version in snow but the previous one did help with some snow last winter. The current one is both easier to use, and better for keeping the mirrors and half the front side windows clear.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. The car will be driven daily by my daughter, NOT stored, so a full cover I think is impractical.

(BTW, when I said it's "not going anywhere for a while" I mean w/regards to ownership. It's still driven almost daily, but I have zero plans on selling it for the foreseeable future. After my daughter goes off to college it will go to my son next).

Having said that, given the cheap price (and your endorsement) I've already ordered one to try out. Crappy weather is already upon us in NE Ohio, so no delays in testing it out!

#7 Daryl K, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Salamander_King likes this.
  8. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you, or someone, has a sewing machine available I'd get 3-5 strong nickel sized magnets and sew them on the top edge. I put them on the top side of the material, then sewed a square of coated pack cloth on top to hold them there. Turns out the underside slightly fuzzy material is not tough and one worked it's way through in a couple months. It's always getting 'worked' with the wind. I figured the others would also. I put another square on the other side.

The previous cover already had magnets. They also worked their way through the material after about a year and I had to put a reinforcing patch on them. I also added more. The ones that tend to come on them are low grade and not strong, kind of like the elastic.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After exploring a bit on other options available, I ended up ordering this half car cover for myself 3 Size Half Car Cover Waterproof Sun UV Rain Snow Dust Outdoor Indoor Protection | eBay instead of the front only one linked above. I have used the windshield cover in the past, but effort of putting it on and off was equally cumbersome to clearing snow/ice, since it did not protect other glass surfaces. For us, snow is usually not much problem. We use to get only powder snow, but in recent years, I am seeing more and more of freezing rain and wet snow that freezes onto the glass surface. With thick freezing rain, it can sometimes take hours to scrape the ice. Usually the front windshield is the easiest by blasting the defroster with hot air, but side windows and mirrors are difficult and rear window is also not easy for I have Prius Prime with wavy glass. It is coming from China, but I should receive it before the full force of winter is here.

upload_2020-10-23_15-34-2.png

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hood is aluminum—a metal that magnets don't stick to.

MexicanChip likes this.
  11. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd love to hear your comments on this one after using it for a while - just in case I sour on the one I already ordered. If it works out I can not the make and model and keep it in mind for the next one.

fmerkel and Salamander_King like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have three cars parked outside. I also ordered this one. It is also a China made, but is in US stock, so it may arrive before the other one. This one is a half cover with hood and front grill (headlights) covered. It seems to be just a rectangular sheet, which may not fit perfectly to the car's couture but should be easier to fold and stow.

13. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, first opportunity to try this cover out and I have to say it was a total failure. It started raining, but was forecast for temps to drop and turn into a snowstorm, which is exactly what happened. Apparently the cover isn't really waterproof, and rain permeated the cover everywhere, then when temps dropped below freezing it froze to the car and literally shredded tearing it off.

One use and into the trash it went - in pieces. At least (at $13) it was cheap.

I may try the one Salamander King was recommending, though I have to see if this too is water permeable.

14. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, that was the one I recommended that froze to the car? We get a lot of rain in Seattle, but not much freezing weather or snow. Since climate change started ramping up it is pretty rare. Not good for the mountains. Wild fires have increased significantly, both in size and frequency.

Pretty much nothing pure fabric is waterproof given time, UV, wear and constant wet. You need a really well coated fabric, pure plastic, or something something similar. Mine gets wet and the windshield underneath is wet, but not generally sopping. For all I know it's running down the roof under the cover. Could well be leaking through it.