1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

COVID19: I want my Sticker Extended!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by stevepea, Jun 4, 2020.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, I know this post falls under the "address the stupid problems first because they're easier than big ones" catagory, but...

Unfortunately, my job is one of the ones most severely affected by the virus, without alternate ways to do it (ie, large crowds are required). While people in most sectors will slowly start going back to work in various stages over the next weeks/months, everything thru fall has now been cancelled, and it will probably be well into 2021 before things start trickling back (with a lot less work and a lot of work permanently lost in its wake).

I know... as if there aren't enough real, pressing issues right now --- but as I took out my Prime to run it around the neighborhood for a few mins yesterday (so the 12v battery wouldn't die yet again due to not using it) I couldn't help but think of one thing: that I'm being cheated out of my carpool sticker's worth!!

Look, California forced car insurance companies to refund 15% of premiums for 2 months (because so many fewer drivers were on the road in April & May). Unemployment has (until the end of July) a federal stimulus attached to it. Heck, even banking "Regulation D" (look it up if bored) is temporarily suspended because of COVID19.

But our coveted Carpool stickers? They'll STILL EXPIRE on the same date!
    That's totally not fair!

My Prime has been sitting in the garage since March, and it's not going to be used (in any fashion that needs the carpool lane) until probably next March.

I want an extra year on my sticker to compensate!!

[Had to vent here, since I used my soapbox to wash my hands for 20 seconds]

#1 stevepea, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything should be extended. hopefully, as issues arise, government will respond.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sympathetic in that my own work has been 99% disrupted by this event as well, but you've had the opportunity to sell the car altogether, right? No point keeping it/making payments etc if you're sheltering in place and having groceries delivered?

My drivers license shows an expiration date in April, but the local DMVs are all closed and all expiration dates were administratively shifted to 6/30. Not sure how they're going to get 3 months worth of business done in the week before that date but... that's another drama.

Good luck!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what can you get for a 3 year old prime at this point?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everybody wants compensation for everything unjust, even though things have been unjust since Cain slew Abel. Nobody said life was fair. My stickers? Yeah, I'm not driving as much but, heck, with cheap gas & nearly free electricity via solar panels for both home & cars .... we could keep driving & driving around the cities, on freeways - but it really wouldn't make me feel any better to get more value value out of them.
    Now - i did complain once about horrible leather in our two Teslas (boo hoo - poor me) ... & someone pointed out that I sounded like the airplane owner in "The Jerk" movie - complaining about his leather seats;

Yea - we sure got it tough, don't we?

#5 hill, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I completely agree. I confess that I did start going to work this week a couple of part time days.
    But I did not drive in the carpool lanes at all. I left late and there was very little traffic both ways.
    So I was at home for 11 weeks and I'm not actually using the sticker now or the foreseeable future.

Mike

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HIgh end First World problems --
    If that is unfair, then why isn't a minuscule 15% reduction on 2 months of insurance also unfair? Why not a full year of free insurance AND a full year extension on the car registration too? :rolleyes: Plus rolling back the depreciation clock a full year.
    That reminds me of numerous folks who also demanded a two year extension to POTUS's term too, to compensate for the two year's "lost" to that "investigation".

Of course, none of them had any interest in giving any similar compensation to a prior POTUS who "lost" six years to "investigations".

8. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, life isn't fair. (And you know what? That's just not fair!)

I was being a bit humorous (why I posted it here in FHOP instead of the Prime thread).
    There are, of course, much more important, serious issues we're all facing right now.
    But sometimes you just have to take your laughs where you can get them.
    As I got in my trusty Prime yesterday to drive for a bit, simply so the 12v batt wouldn't die again... I suddenly thought about all that coveted, limited "carpool time" on the sticker going to waste.
    I just know that in a year, I'm going to be saying "Oh carpool sticker... I hardly knew ye..."

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you truly locked down to where you can't go out to exercise that carpool sticker, in sparse traffic, just for yuks?

Our restrictions were never that tight. While being discouraged from going out, and having few meaningful destinations open to go visit, there was nothing to keep us from going out occasionally to exercise the cars, circulate their fluids, and charge up the batteries.

And fortunately, outdoor exercise was always an "essential activity" here. So when the spouse would get too bored with the venues within walking or reasonable biking distance, it was occasionally "necessary" to drive to some others. Just not to any popular ones, most of which were preemptively closed. And some still are.

#9 fuzzy1, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's time to consider ditching the gasser for a Tesla? ;)

I'm not qualified to navigate the byzantine world of Caly's carpool lane but don't Tesla drivers get to flout the carpool concept too??
    Do they have to deface their cars with a sticker, or is the absence of a gas tank give them access?

It's kinda ironic that 90-something percent of the people who qualify for HOV lane access are solo operators, but that's a renewable energy device that I will joust another time.....

Stay healthy!!

11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, how much does the carpool sticker cost?

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Salamander_King likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. Then, I am sure OP has saved at least that much on gas and electricity by not driving his car while shelter-in-home. ;)

I (and my DW together) have not received the stimulus check yet and start having a doubt receiving it ever. But truth is I don't really need any compensation. I did not lose my job, I did not get sick. In fact, I have had very little changes in my daily routine except working from home. I am very fortunate that my work can be operated 100% from home. Market crash of early March have nicely recovered. My retirement investment is now back to where it was pre-crash. And, since I am not driving my car as often, that saves gas and electricity and wear and tear on my car. Plus my insurance company gave me 15% off on my 6 month bill. Overall, I think I am in better financial shape than pre-COVID19.

#13 Salamander_King, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a paid yearly script for access to the top level of motorcycle racing (MotoGP) that's on hiatus till (probably) next year. Since that same company also runs and partially funds the series, I let it slide.

Since your sticker in some way funds the road system, you probably should too.

15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everyone that wants to us the carpool lane with just one driver must purchase a qualifying car AND apply for the sticker and pay the fee.
    The cops only look for having the correct sticker...if they ever look.
    The stickers are only good for a limited number of years then expire based on a color code

Mike