1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CPO Pricing from Dealers - Any Room for Negotiating? (2013 Prius Model 3)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by SFinEville, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SFinEville

SFinEville New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, I had a 2015 Prius 3 lease and now I'm looking to buy with financing from my credit union. I've narrowed it down to 2013 Prius 3 (I must have SKS on 3-doors again) and I've found one for with less than 36k miles for $16,888. My question is, can I negotiate with a dealer a certified pre-owned Prius? One dealer said they have the price set in some network or system, another I emailed said they have some "Sonic pricing" which means price is non-negotiable.

Is it because there's so many of them and the new '16s and '17s are impacting prices of previous generations? Are dealers really not willing to come down at all? Or is this a good deal and I should just take it?

Thanks for any advice!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome. You can always try to get a lower price. If your offer is too low the dealer will say if you can find one at that price buy it. Look through cars.com to see what is available in your area. Are you sure the 2013 Three has all the features you want? Download the booklet for the model year to see what was available.

Read through http://www.carbuyingtips.com and happy hunting.

SFinEville likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is ALWAYS room for negotiation. The longer that car sits on the lot, the more inclined they will be to haggle (say >30days). You should tell them:
    When you get serious and want to move that car, shoot me an email. I am ready to buy. Already pre-approved for a loan at my credit union/etc. In the mean time, I will look elsewhere.​

If you give them a ph number, give them a google phone number, so your phone doesn't blow-up w/ annoying solicitation calls. You can configure google voice to call your phone or just goto voice mail, and get an email notification that someone left you a message.

Consider looking FAR AWAY. Hundreds of miles away. This might give you more options and possibly better pricing.

Merkey and SFinEville like this.
  4. SFinEville

SFinEville New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi exstudent,

"If you give them a ph number, give them a Google phone number, so your phone doesn't blow-up w/ annoying solicitation calls. You can configure google voice to call your phone or just go to voice mail, and get an email notification that someone left you a message."

^^^Haha too late! But good idea from now on, thank you! ; )

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This was a Godsend product.
    Google Voice - Features – Google Voice

You should also have at least 2 email addresses.
    1) email-personal
    2) email-sales/junk - anytime you buy something on line, b/c you'll get a gazillion emails.
    3) email-banking - credit card, utilities

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the market determines pricing. the best price you can find is the best price. if they won't negotiate, than that's their best price. all the best!(y)
    just out of curiosity, what's the best you can do on a new gen 4, with 3 door sks?

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Found the auto/banking sales term: Floor Plan Financing.

Why It's Important for Dealers to Sell Cars Quickly
    Why It's Important for Dealers to Sell Cars Quickly
    This may come as a surprise to you, but most car dealers don't actually own the cars they're selling.
    There is usually several million dollars worth of inventory on a typical dealer's lot, and those cars are all owned by a bank or finance company.
    The dealer borrows money through what's called "floor plan financing" in order to keep the inventory on their lots.
    Floor plan financing is a type of short-term loan that is paid off in 30 to 90 days, the time it normally takes to sell a car.
    A typical new car costs a dealer about $5 to $10 in interest per day. So if a car sits on the lot for 30 days, the dealer will be charged $150 - $300 in interest payments.
    This is why dealers want to sell cars as quickly as possible - to reduce their financing costs and increase profits.
    Most manufacturers reimburse these finance costs through what is called "dealer holdback". This is usually 2 - 3% of the invoice price of the vehicle.
    On a typical $28,000 car, a 2% holdback would amount to around $550. If the dealer sells this car in 30 days and incurs financing costs of $300, then they will make a profit of $250 on the holdback.
    If a car has been sitting on the lot for a long time, the financing costs will eat up all the potential profit and the dealer may have to sell the car at a loss.
    You can usually get the best deals on cars that have been sitting on the lot a long time since dealers are anxious to get rid of them and cut their losses.​

8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats sounds a little much. Carmax has a 2015 Two with under 18k miles for that price. Or theres a 2014 with 35,837 for $16,434. Its blue exterior with light interior. If you're willing to drive a couple hours, you can find something or see if the local dealer will come to that price. This one has nav as well.