1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CPO Used Prius search

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by evaporator, Jan 24, 2017.

1. evaporator

evaporator New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All!!

I am looking at buying a CPO 2013 prius for 16000, 40k miles. I don't think it the best deal but not the worst either. Any advice on buying CPO cars?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusFan06

PriusFan06 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure it was not a leased car or rental. It is low miles. Price is a bit high. Not sure where you are from. I'm from SF Bay Area...for a CPO 2013 Prius w/ 40k miles I would say off of CL, I can find it for about $15k. So just $1k shy from your price. Now if you are buy-in from a stealer ship then $16k sounds about right. with tax and all those fees you'll be paying upwards of $17,500. Why not buy a new 2016 Prius Two for about $21,500???

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you're awfully close to the 2017 price, what package is it?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  4. mobbarley

mobbarley New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also consider a new vs CPO Prius. Received a quote for a CPO 2013 Prius Two with 26,750 miles for $14,200 before taxes, title, and fees. I think it's pretty tempting at that price?

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful.

There are CPO cars and then there is a FACTORY CPO program....which are different.
    Sometimes, less than scrupulous dealers will sell a "certified pre-owned" car, which legally means that they certify that it has been previously owned.
    Factory CPO Programs Versus Other 'Certified' Vehicles

Normally I would say that if you buy brand "T" at a brand "T" dealer and they're selling it as a CPO then the "factory" part is implied.. BUT(!!!!!) in certain states ending in "fornia" certain dealers ending in "yota" are sometimes incentivized to color outside the lines a little bit because of certain socioeconomic factors like high fuel prices, HOV lanes, CARB regs, etc....

These forces exist in other places, because........let's face it dealers can be crooks in all 50 states.

$16K for a G3 with 40,000 miles seems a bit high to me.
    Like I said....be careful.\

Good Luck!!
    Let us know how it shakes out.

EDIT: The vehicle history should indicate if the car was a previous rental wreck or commercially leased.
    If so, then said vehicle should come with a vivid disclaimer and a steep discount (not indicated by the OP) and also if it's a Toyota being sold at a Toyota dealership, then they should have already offered to pull the vehicle maintenance history for you.

No vehicle maintenance history isn't a roadblock for a sale, but generally speaking people who are too anal to let the dealer maintain their vehicles (like me) are also too frugal to trade their cars in at a dealership.
    They can sell them privately and make a lot more money. :D

Good Luck!

#5 ETC(SS), Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CPO is just another way for dealers to command higher prices. I am a dealer and I just checked the dealer auction sale prices for the model year and mileage that you specified. None of them have sold for over 15k this year, and the going price is closer to 12k-13k. If you have the VIN # for that specific vehicle I can look up what the dealer paid for it if it was purchased at auction. Chances are the dealer paid 13k for it and is trying to sell it for 16k.

If you are in the southeast I can take you to a dealer auction so you can get the car at wholesale price.

7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ughhhh my hunt for a California CPO Prius Four or Five for a friend is not going well. We went to look on Friday at a CPO 2013 Prius Four with 60k miles on it for $14,750, but it turned out to be a smoker car and the smell was really bad. From there I called ahead and found a dealership nearly 2 hours away had a CPO 2013 Prius Four with 40k miles on it for $15,400 and verified it was available. Naturally, it sells while I'm driving over there and they didn't call me to give me a heads up. I find a CPO 2011 Prius IV with Solar Nav package with 66k miles for $15,000 today (negotiated down to $13,900), and it sells before I can finish up my last meeting of the day. The rest of the CPO Prius Four and Five I see are up for $18k-$20k. There is one other that fits the price target, but it was a New York car transferred over to SoCal, and I think it's best to find a CA car for CARB warranty down the line, plus I don't know how much the salt on the roads in NY could affect rust on a Prius earlier on.

8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +2 for this comment. CPO is a marketing scam. Watch this Podcast.

9. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why is CPO a marketing scam? I thought it was basically a factory extended warranty for used cars.

10. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not a warranty. The existing warranty, what's left of it, passes to the new owner with the vehicle even if it is not CPO. Once that is over, you rely on no warranty or the dealer supplied "extended service plan," which is an insurance policy. There is a ton of difference between a warranty and an insurance policy.

11. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought "Toyota Certified" provides 12month/12k comprehensive warranty from date of purchase plus 7year/100k mile powertrain from date vehicle was originally sold to the first owner. Why is this not a warranty?
    Certified Used Toyota Vehicles | Pre-Owned Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Hybrids

12. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to read the actual contract. It's a vehicle service agreement. Get a copy and read it for yourself. Warranties do not have deductibles. The fine print, in the BROCHURE (not the contract) is quite clear. http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/tcuv_platinum_vsa.pdf