1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CR knocks Volt, praises Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Octane, Mar 1, 2011.

1. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Amazing how the Prius is still supreme--relatively unchanged after 7 years. One of the most remarkable engineering feats of the 20th century.

1 person likes this.
  2. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only rival worthy of the same accolades from an engineering standpoint is the veritable Boeing 747.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Concerning Ford and Toyota, Ford's system was going to possibly infringe on 21, out of 100+, of Toyota's patents. Toyota had an interest in Ford's emission and diesel tech. So it was cheaper form them to play nice than hash it out in court.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that usbseawolf is right in his guess about the lack of a RAV hybrid. These kinds of deals happen all the time in business. It's 'playing nicely'.

My own personal feeling is that Toyota, Ford and Honda all got together and agreed to make a gentlemen's agreement NOT to fight the others directly for some period of time. In addition to the lack of a RAV hybrid Toyota has kept the pricing of the Highlander Hybrid artificially high and thus supply very low ( so as not to compete against the Escape hybrid? ).

I think that the period of 'playing nicely' ended 2-3 yrs ago with the debut of the Fusion hybrid and Honda's unfortunate Prius-killer. Now Toyota is squeezing the Escape hybrid from below with the Prius v and it's going after Honda with the Prius c.

Now I'd say that the gloves are off and every maker is open to attacking any other maker....unless another agreement is made :D .