1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured CR on Driver Assist Systems

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: CR Rates Active Driving Assistance Systems - Consumer Reports

It’s equal parts eerie and amazing to experience Ford’s BlueCruise hands-free driving feature, as it takes over your car’s steering, braking, and acceleration while you travel down the highway.

The eerie part is watching the steering wheel turn back and forth on its own, making micro-adjustments to keep the car in the center of its lane, while the system also slows down or speeds up to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. The amazement soon follows: With your hands off the wheel and relaxing on the armrests as the automated systems take charge, you might start to believe that the age of the self-driving car is finally upon us.

But while BlueCruise’s capabilities are impressive and can make driving more relaxing, cars that can truly and safely drive themselves remain a long way off.
    . . .

I am not a fan of Consumer Reports but this is news.

After Consumer Reports screwed up their Prius ratings, I dropped our subscription. Subsequent annual reports show CR is still flawed. Car and Driver does a better job.

CR downrated Tesla for features having nothing to do with Autopilot performance. Worse, they failed to report the version such as Tesla’s 2022.44.30.10 that I got two weeks ago and Full Self Driving 10.69.25.2 that I got last week. Without the software version numbers, no one knows what was actually tested.

The CR article has more flaws that an engineering supervisor would feed to the shredder. I’m more interested in the IIHS, NHTSA and NTSB reports on Tesla Autopilot and EVERY driver assistance system. CR has once again failed.

Bob Wilson

Gokhan likes this.
  2. idleuser

idleuser Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have used AP extensively in a Model S P100DL and Model 3 LR RWD. Autopilot at level 2 is still dangerous. Tesla has not fixed phantom braking to this day.

Gokhan likes this.
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If that is all that Ford's Blue Cruise can do, my Toyota has been doing that since 2019. The difference between Toyota's version and Tesla's is it isn't named Full Self Driving and it requires hands on the wheel. What it doesn't have is any monitoring of driver's attention. Saw a car drive off into a ditch today while the driver had his eyes on his phone. 25 MPH speed and not curved at all. Not saying the driver was using any assists. Just that there is no substitute for driver attention.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He could also have been trying to adjust cabin temperature on the touch screen, about as distracting...

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe he was flying low

6. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Even reaching for a seldom used physical button can be distracting. My Toyota has a series of about 6 buttons low and to the left where the steering wheel hides them. Things like heated steering or auto headlights. I've caught myself drifting while seeking to adjust them. Even visible buttons you use semi-frequently (think which of the two defrost buttons you want to press and do it) drag your eyes to them and away from the road for a second.

hill likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, uniform buttons in a row, some you need to push multiple times while watching LCD display, how we “progress”. :rolleyes:

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are degrees to how well these systems can do things.The Outback will sometimes get into pig ponging between the lines on even a straight road. It will also chide me even if I'm holding the wheel too lightly. Sounds like the Bluecruise is Level 3. The new Prius might also be. That's the first step out of driving aids, and into automation. Hands off wheel is okay with Level 3, though I think it is a bad practice until you get to Level 5, full automation.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea ... our Hi-Tech Chrysler minivan tends to ping pong us back and forth between the dotted line and the side marker / shoulder lines. My favorite version of Lane assist was the original Tesla mob eye lane system that could adequately keep us going down residential streets. Got no clue why Tesla decided to give up on their mobile partnership. Perhaps liability?
    Looking it up, it appears geely still uses it with relatively decent success.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lane Assist works well on our 22 Rav4h. Quite a bit better than the older 17 CRV that did ping pong. The downside on the Rav is ultra sensitive steering. An effective lane assist combined with blindside and rear traffic alert would save a lot of accidents if universally used. Its not about how good a driver one of us may be; its about the attention span and skills of virtually everyone over 18.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my tesla after that, but the reasons are simple. They wanted to own the software, but they should have done a parellel development instead of changing it out completely. NVidia had better hardware at the time. Intel bought mobile eye to get in the game for hardware and software. Tesla doesn't even want to pay nvidia and have their own staff designing the hardware (next version will be in a taiwan semiconductor fab because the original plan for samsung couldn't be met because samsung can't make enough chips for tesla without pissing off other customers.

Current tesla implementation does well now on city streets (not mine where cars park on both sides and its narrow), but it gets fooled when the lane gets wider and wants to drift to the center instead of keeping it straight.

Self driving works very well for my cousin in florida with easier streets. I have to take over a lot here because of construction and scooters and bicycles. I have my foot ready to take over the accelerator from phantom braking which normally occurs if it thinks the car to the right or left of me may go in my lane.

Agree with the comment that with any of these systems the driver should get to know it and be ready to take over.

12. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess I don't understand the desire/need for driver assist on city streets.

Yes on collision prevention by watching your back and blind spot and even front collision avoidance. But I go into town many times a week at 35 miles an hour and I want to control the darn car. I don't want to feel I can get away with answering a text under the varying conditions of city traffic.

Where I like the keep it in the lane by automation help is on the long stretches of the interstates.

In '19 Toyota did all that if you ordered the right packages and they weren't 5 figure costs.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are near standard in some segments now. Haven't checked on the more advanced systems, but I think it's standard with the new Prius. Others are just pulling a money grab.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ironic how the car prevents us from programming in destinations on the GPS but we're allowed to look at the 11-in screen to adjust the climate control.

dbstoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Disappointed HDA is low on the list (I don't think HDA will improve on that criteria although I have heard it is less prone to ping-pong. I've only tested HDA once and the steering wheel was constantly making small corrections on the highway. I have HDA-II and it doesn't do that).

But it is true that there's no audible indication that the Lane Follow Assist (similar to Lane Trace Assist in Toyota) has gone to standby. You have to see that the small green steering wheel icon has gone grey. That's way to subtle. Also, if you don't have the HUD, then it's even easier to miss it because you'll have to look at the instrument panel.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Surprised they didn't have a Subaru to test.

Even though the full ADA suite can work in traffic, I don't use it with my daily driving. I do have the Eyesight set to assist, so it has a basic LCA function on all the time. It'll give a nudge to the wheel when the car gets close to a line. The strength of that seems to be speed sensitive; more nudge at higher speeds.

Now, I have the alarms set to on, but the car gives a chime and pop up when it loses sight of the lines. There is also set of colored LEDs at the base of the windshield; double yellow, double red, green, double red. They mimic the messages in the driver's display. The yellow is warnings; both sides for system pause, and corresponding side to lane departures. Red is for alerts; hands off wheel, automatic braking engaged, etc. The green lets you know the ACC is following the car ahead.

I have the driver monitoring camera, but it is an option. The steering wheel sensor is sensitive. I regularly hold the wheel light enough to trigger it.

I only have used the car's full ADA on freeway trips. Didn't have any issue figuring out the steering wheel controls for the ACC and LKA. You can select the level of acceleration in the menu. The LKA only works while the ACC is on. I have had ping ponging happen, but rare, could of been windy at those times. Otherwise it stays well centered. Actually, that means it doesn't give trucks the slight extra space I do when passing them.

The system can handle stop and go traffic. It just won't start from a stop on its though. It'll give you a warning the car ahead moved, you tap the accelerator, and the system starts driving again.

Need to check the manual on what the system does if the hands off wheel and eyes off road alerts are ignored while the full system is engaged.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    These are the ratings. The number in parenthesis is the score (out of 10) for capabilities and performance.

Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 did fairly well.

Ford/Lincoln: 84 (9)
    Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac: 75 (8)
    MB: 72 (10)
    BMW: 69 (9)
    Toyota/Lexus 3.0: 65 (9)
    VW/Audi: 62 (8)
    Tesla: 61 (9)
    Rivian: 59 (8)
    Nissan/Infiniti: 58 (7)
    Honda/Acura: 58 (8)
    Volvo/Polestar: 53 (7)
    Hyundai/Kia/Genesis: 49 (6)
    Mazda: 0 (0; no active driving assistance at parameters tested)
    Jaguar/Land Rover, Lucid, Porsche, Stellantis (Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Ram), and Subaru: 0
    (0; no active driving assistance)

@bwilson4web, like it or not, Consumer Reports is the best out there. You can't trust Car and Driver and sites like that much.

@Trollbait, you purchased a Subaru without a modern driving assist system. When are you coming back to Prius?

“After all this time, Autopilot still doesn’t allow collaborative steering and doesn’t have an effective driver monitoring system. While other automakers have evolved their ACC and LCA systems, Tesla has simply fallen behind.”

Tesla Autopilot sounds really awful if it does not allow collaborative steering. This would be a deal breaker for me. I think the problem with Tesla and SpaceX is that Elon Musk has pretty much lost his mind, and all he can think of is Twitter and twitting. It is self-destructive for him. He needs to sell Twitter, delete his account, and go to rehab. I expect much worse times for Tesla in the years ahead. It will fall behind—far behind.

#17 Gokhan, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Arguably, keeping the river engaged is more important than basic performance, and only Ford and GM seem to get that right.
    CR has its flaws that need to be considered.

It's better than what Toyota had when I was buying.
    https://data.consumerreports.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/consumer-reports-active-driving-assistance-systems-november-16-2020.pdf

Prius needs to lose the engine before I'll consider it again.

hill and Gokhan like this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That is exactly why I want to trade in my 2021 Prius Prime Limited with TSS 2.0 to a 2023 Prius Prime SE with TSS 3.0+. TSS 3.0 seems to be much improved over TSS 2.0.

I did get used to the LTA with ACC on TSS 2.0 quite a bit. However, I don't have confidence in it when cars cut in front of me—it seems to be following too closely and the reaction time is about two seconds when a car cuts in front of me. It does not always seem to reduce speed to increase the distance. Moreover, there is no curve detect, which can be scary when you are approaching a curve with the system turned on. I also expect the LTA on TSS 3.0 be more precise and less jittery. It is OK in TSS 2.0, but there is slight ping–pong at times.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... what - I haven't kept up - but does that mean you have to buy a new Toyota car to get a new system? or like Tesla (+ a few others) - which does it via OTA software?

Gokhan likes this.