1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked 05' Rear Bumper - Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusluvr05, Oct 7, 2004.

1. priusluvr05

priusluvr05 Junior Member

Well i just got my 2005 Tideland Pearl and have had it for a week. Being the DOLT i am I backed into a Wood Block and cracked the bumper near the bottom. What should I do to replace the bumper. I see the bolts holding the plastic bumper on and could replace it myself If I can order a replacement part. I am hestitant to take it back to the dealer to have it fixed because they put it on file and degrades the trade-in value. (This happened to my 2002 Prius when I went to get it traded in for the 05')

Thanks.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh man that stinks. Congratulations on the new Prius though.

Are you sure that something seemingly trivial like bolting on a new bumper would degrade the trade-in value of the car that much? Additionally: trade it in? Are you serious? I plan to be cremated in Priapus.

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    when my front bumper cover was hit by my neighbor's truck, i had no hesitation at all to have it replaced (i got it only 2weeks before that happend). and i'm glad i did so. as for your worries of loss of trade-in value... i'm sure anyone here on PC or out there for that matter would still buy it without hesitation... and would pay top dollar for it too! but if you insist lowering the value i'm sure the buyer won't mind! :wink:

4. priusluvr05

It probobly wouldn't degrade tradein value to replace the plastic but they did see when I had a door replaced on my 2002 prius and lowered buy back by 2000 bucks. Better left out completly. Althought this car, I do plan on driving till it dies. It is SO much better than my 02' but the gas millage is aobut the same at 47 MPG.

Does anyone know if the 05' parts are available yet?

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusluvr05\";p=\"43944)</div>
    Same parts as an '04, no model year changes.

6. priusluvr05

Did the color's change?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I want to say that the colors didn't change, but I have a Tideland and I don't want to wake up one morning and notice my rear bumper is missing. For that reason, I'm going to say that the Tideland in the '05 is nothing like the '04 Tideland. Not even close. And if you are anywhere near Northern Chicago, my neighbor has a gun. :-D

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Bummer. I did a dumb thing with my '04 Prius myself when I installed my EV switch. I had my tools in the cargo area, and so my hatch was open. After finishing the job, I went to take it for a spin.
    Turns out I didn't notice the hatch was still open, and it doesn't clear my opened garage door. Fortunately, only busted the spoiler, and bent the holes it mounts to on the hatch.
    Cost $300 just for the spoiler, another $144 for paint and install labor.

A reputable body shop that you trust should be able to help here. The body parts do not come painted, so either you or someone else will have to paint it. There is a paint code on the driver door jamb.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

These bumpers are urethane and as such can be welded back together and refinished. I'd tell the dealer to do this and if there is any report on the car you don't intend to ever deal with them again. Holding customers ransom for maintaining the car in good condition, is criminal, and your money will be better spent with another dealer. If the car had a real steel bumper there wouldn't be a mark, but it's plastic and has to be fixed to keep the car looking good. Other thing to do is shop around for another body shop to do it. This ain't rocket science.