1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked/broken panel on dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soylent, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have this little problem:

[​IMG]
    http://i52.tinypic.com/wlp1fk.jpg

It started cracking, (probably from when it's really hot and I turn on the a/c), and eventually a piece broke off.

I know the passenger side panel is accessible via the glovebox, and just pops off easily. But I felt around this one, and I couldn't feel any latches or clip I could grab to pull it off.

Is this something I can buy and replace myself? Any idea what the cost might be from Toyota?

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy that vent assembly and replace it yourself. You might have to start from the vent nearest the driver's side door, pull that out, then remove the instrument panel black plastic piece where the POWER button is located, (possibly remove the panel below the steering column as well,) then you should be able to remove the vent next to the MFD. Regarding the two vents, you just have to grab the top and bottom edges with your two hands, and pull horizontally straight out.

I don't know what the price would be, but you can try http://www.championtoyotaparts.com/

1 person likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd recommend a replacement from a salvage yard. Check out the price from a Toyota parts dealer first, but a salvage unit should work fine.

To get to the vent next to the radio, you'll have to first remove the far left vent, the panel below the steering wheel, and the one just above it. Use sticky gloves (like the ones with small rubber dots) to pull off the left vent. The vent is attached with plastic snaps. Hold the vent at the top and bottom, and pull straight back. It doesn't work to just pull at the top or bottom (you could break off an attaching tab that way). Do not use any metal bladed tools to pry at it or you'll scratch the dash.

Next remove the lower panel. Two screws, top left and top middle. Once the screws are out, pull on each attachment point, starting with the lower left. The hood release and wiring to the switches can be left attached, and the panel dangling.

Next detach the upper panel. It's all snaps along the top and bottom of the panel. Again, you don't want to totally remove the panel, just release it and move it an inch or so to the left to allow access to the bad vent. Leave the Power switch installed.

You've finally reached the part you want to change. Just yank it off. The shift lever is not attached to the vent panel, and just stays there. The Park switch is attached. There is a tab on the plug to the Park switch that must be depressed to release it. With the vent fully removed, the Park switch comes out toward the back of the car. It is secured by a plastic tab that needs to be released to slip it out.

Reassembly is just the reverse. Make sure all of the yellow attaching tabs are fully set in place. Not all of the attachment points have the yellow tabs - they're just bracing points. Be careful to route the wires to the Park and Power switches.

Congratulations if you only have a few spare parts after reassembly. I've got 2 yellow tabs left over that don't go anywhere I can find...

1 person likes this.
  4. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Great instructions, thanks! I'll give it a shot. I hope I don't break anything :p

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    2 people like this.
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I found this part on ebay for $15, used with some light scratches.

My question is, do all Gen II's have this panel in the same color, regardless of package or exterior color? I'm worried it might be a different shade of gray than mine, and I can't really tell from the photo.

8. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    LOL indeed! Maybe it's time for you to take apart the dash to fix both problems! :)

10. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So do these come in different colors?

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only one color as far as I know.