1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked Tail Light!

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jonpk, Jun 16, 2013.

1. jonpk

jonpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've been browsing this forum for sometime but I finally have a reason to post something. I have a 2012 Prius C Two I bought almost six months ago. Six months ago I started a new job and I was spending over $300 a month in fuel for my 2008 Accord EX-L V6. So I was went to the Toyota dealership and was able to pick this car up for around $18,600.

I take meticulous care of this car and this weekend while waxing it I noticed the tail light was cracked. I was dumbfounded because there wasn't any damage indicating it got hit in a parking lot. There also isn't any obvious point of impact. There are 11 cracks that run up the side of the light. I've heard of some lights being defective or over torqued at the factory but I don't know what to believe? I've looked at some parts diagrams but I've failed to find the Toyota part number for the passenger side rear tail light assembly. If anyone can steer me in the right direction for that part number and provide some insight into what you think!

Attached Files:

Wolfe81 likes this.
  2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't it covered by Toyota Care?

3. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Take it back to dealership and tell them it cracked spontaneously. Or in hot weather or something. You did not get hit there from the looks of it

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

jonpk likes this.
  4. jonpk

jonpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I'm gonna try this and talk to my dealer tomorrow

5. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The pictures look more like scratches than cracks. I expect that a new taillight assy would be quite expensive. It's approximately 1/3 of the back of the car and it takes two men and a small crane to hoist the old taillight down and set the new one in place.

6. jonpk

jonpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's definitely not scratched its cracked it may be hard to see in that picture. I expect the tail light housing assembly to be at least $500 I saw a used tail light housing on eBay motors yesterday for $165 shipped but I'm not to worried about it.

The Scion FRS has had a lot of issues with tail light lenses cracking and it's not a totally uncommon issue.

If worst comes to worst and the dealer says its not defective parts then my insurance will cover it. After years working in the rental car industry and with insurance providers I've seen many damaged cars and I can say with almost certainty this was not caused by an impact.

ztanos likes this.
  7. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Did you get a chance to call the dealer?

jonpk likes this.
  8. jonpk

jonpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I called the dealer they had me come in and show them. They sent a tech out who confirmed that it was indeed cracks in the housing. Then the manager came out and tried to convince me they were scratches. She took it into the bay and had some pictures taken then said she had to contact a warranty person for Toyota in California. She called me back this afternoon and said Toyota would replace the tail light as a one time "good faith" warranty effort. All in all I'm happy I baby this car and I hope to get a good ten years out of it. I don't want to fail a safety inspection for having a leaky tail light down the road.

Ashlem and PriusC-illa like this.
  9. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm glad they are replacing it under warranty!

jonpk likes this.
  10. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nice to hear they fixed it for you! I'm not that thrilled about them saying its a one time deal out of "good faith" though.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

Rob.au, ChinchillaGirl, jonpk and 3 others like this.
  11. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Glad it work out... I just hope it don't happen to other.

12. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Everyone check now! Summer heat (except here is SF) could probably stress the plastic

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

13. jonpk

jonpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got the car repaired today the rear housings are actually not as expensive as I thought. You can find them online for a little under $100 before shipping. However I'm happy Toyota was willing to step up to the plate and cover this.

81551-52A90 Right Tail Light Housing
    81561-52890 Left Tail Light Housing

minkus and PriusC-illa like this.
  14. DrakeVA

DrakeVA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for this!

Kinda eerie, as I have the exact same car, trim level, color and issue, but mine is on the left side, and it's totally my fault (whacked it with a tent).

Here's my question... the crack happened about 6 months ago and moisture has gotten inside the casing. I don't believe anything besides the outer casing was damaged initially, but what are the odds I will have to replace bulbs and other components?

The crack is directly over the LED lamp.

Thanks!

15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You may never have to replace a bulb, but it will fill with water on a bad rain. I have one that I can sell you if you're interested.

16. DrakeVA

DrakeVA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cool.

I ordered the casing online... will install that and test. Hopefully that will be it, or at least good enough to pass the inspection.

17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If not let me know. I just installed a new set of tail lights, so I have the factory assembly just laying around.

18. CMJAnew

CMJAnew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't disassembled mine to find the cause, but have about 3 to 4 inches of water (ice) in the passenger side rear taillight.

Ztano, how much are you asking for yours (18840 zip code).

19. Wolfe81

Wolfe81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My rear tail light lenses are cracking from the inside as well on my Prius C 2012 1. I have an appointment on Monday July 7th, 2014 wish me luck! You can see the cracks, but not feel them.

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I still have my drivers side boxed up and ready to ship out if you don't have good luck. Let me know.

Wolfe81 likes this.