1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked Trunk Trim Piece - Not Warranty Covered?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Poseidon, Dec 5, 2023.

1. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have this exact issue. Really glad to see this thread. Really disappointed to have this annoying issue. Really hope I can get this covered by warranty. Manufactured 3/23, if that matters.

And by exact, I mean EXACT, in that the crack is in the very same spot on the trim as the OP's post. That suggests that there is a manufacturing defect in the part, to me. If you look at the photo on the Reddit post, that crack is in the same spot as well.

Is this purely a cosmetic issue, or is there any problem not doing the repair? If this is purely cosmetic, and dealer will not cover it, I would have to think hard about paying $1k to repair this, especially since it could just happen again as it seems like many have had this issue. On the other hand, having this kind of flaw in a 6 month old new car is - disappointing. To be clear, this issue SHOULD be covered under warranty.

#41 GeoJ, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    Poseidon, AndersOne and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Show them how?

3. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Please report back any updates from this check with Toyota. And, once I get information from my dealer on their response, I will update to this thread.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just show the service manager the posts/pictures of the other folks with the same issue, then ask to open up a case. Once Toyota gets a few of these, they'll offer a solution. They're probably working on one now.

5. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. In setting up the appointment I linked the Reddit threads (there are a few, at least) on this issue, so if the service people read in advance they will have some background. One of the Reddit threads ends with the dealer repairing for free, so perhaps there is already progress on a resolution. I will see what they have to say. I can also show them the pictures from this thread.

Preebee likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota doesn't seem to test their cars enough, if this is happening in droves.

Tom_06 and Gokhan like this.
  7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Toyota uncharacteristically pushed themselves with the G5, in just about every facet of the design/production process. We ended up with a poor man's supercar. It's expected there will be a few kinks, and I'm confident a resolution will be reached considering it's happened on a few cars now.

This ain't your grandma's Prius lol. Every time I climb into the Baby Lambo, I still feel privileged to be driving it.

daisy555 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully not serious ones. So far each gen has it's share of major clangers.

They could do better: hand some pre-production cars over to testers, have them just use the car normally. And run a few round test tracks or dynos, build up the miles, see if anything breaks.

GeoJ and Gokhan like this.
  9. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be a lot of things. I have 12k miles on mine and haven't had it happen yet but who knows when it can happen. Some people have had it happen with a few hundred miles, a few thousand, etc.

There's people reporting sensor or brake issues on FB. Could be snow for those though. There's also the weird one where if you leave your Prime plugged in after being fully charged, it drains your 12v.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is the same in Gen 4—you are not supposed to leave it plugged in for longer than overnight, which is stated in the owner's manual.

otatrant likes this.
  11. Gunslingerheel

Gunslingerheel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I may have missed it but did the dealer tell what the heck costs $1,000 to replace?

12. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I looked at mine and there's a thin rubber piece and I have the LTD so it's automatic.
    Also, 6300 miles with no issues except the no spare, which I am working on

13. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you point out which page of the owner's manual?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was curious what 53 posts on a cracked trim piece were about :cool:

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 4 had that triangular window piece just aft of back door with finish that kept peeling off, and rusting plate at hatch release.

Gen 3 had droopy rear bumper, flaking Blizzard Pearl paint and rotting sunroof gasket

Gen2 had hatch panel coming off or breaking, plus the rubber bit there turning to moosh, odo's that stopped at 299,999 miles (wouldn't be a signif problem with gen 3...), plus stinky hybrid battery vent tubes.

Several gen's have spare tire wells that turn into swimming pools, dash displays that croak.

What else we got...

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is on page 81 in the charging section.

When the vehicle is left with the AC charging cable connected, the electricity consumption amount of the 12-volt battery increases due to controls, such as the system checking, operating. When the AC charging cable is not needed, remove it from the vehicle.

#56 Gokhan, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  17. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Quick update, apparently Toyota is covering this trim repair under warranty. It took me two trips to dealer, and a three hour wait once they had the part. Done.

Agent337, AndersOne, Zeromus and 4 others like this.
  18. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    If it's really widespread there will probably be a TSB out at some point that makes it easy to have it fixed

19. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Ugh. Just got back from my 15k visit, and apparently they're not covering this?

I had mentioned this damaged piece during my 10k visit, but the service manager never got back to me and it kind of slipped my mind. Long story short, I mentioned it again and asked for them to follow up, and I'm told that they're not covering this due to it being "caused from an outside influence". Isn't that how all vehicle damages occur anyway unless it spontaneously combusts?

For those who are interested, this is the voicemail my dealer's customer manager left me...

"...The cost on that is about $1035. It's caused from an outside influence so it's not a warrantable condition and usually our parts department will have you pre-pay for the parts. So if this is something that you would like to have fixed, please call me I can make the appointment."

20. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just a reminder that you can get this part new from a Toyota dealer for as low as $365. Looks to be a fairly easy swap to do yourself if you can't force your dealer/Toyota to pony up the money. Biggest problem would be trying to remove and reapply the Toyota badge(assuming you don't just buy a new badge for $21 - Toyota considers it a non-reusable part)

$400 absolutely sucks, but at least it's better than $1100+ after taxes.

Lens & Body, RR Lamp

Emblem, Symbol

Poseidon likes this.