1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked Windshield/Replacement

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pineprius, Sep 20, 2018.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    A tiny stone ding turned into a 2 foot crack. These new windshields are extremely thin, probably for weight savings. Called insurance for glass claim. My company uses Safelite as an agent/clearinghouse for glass claims as do many insurance companies. They said my company will only pay $600. for the repair. I chose a local recommended auto glass shop nearby who at first offered the Pilkington EZ Kool Plus (made in Mexico). When I said it was not an acoustic windshield, they said, then you want Toyota OEM glass (made in Japan). I questioned the added cost, and they said we deal with insurance all the time and we will get it approved, which they did. Moral: don't take the first deal which is always substandard. Attached are photos of the windshield showing the camera bracket, and the camera, not disconnected, so as not to have to recalibrate which would have been another $200. from dealer. Tip: Don't let the tech disconnect the wires to the camera. There were several threads about what is attached to the windshield. 20180919_080923.jpg 20180919_130114.jpg 20180919_125900.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's nice when the body shop goes to bat for you.

Up here the main (virtually monopoly) insurer is Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). They "accredit" body shops, and most any competent shop is accredited. You make one phonecall or online contact with ICBC, they give you a number, and from there on you simply take the car to the shop (or have it towed there), give them that number, and they handle the whole thing.

As long as your happy with ICBC's assesment, that's it. They're pretty fair too, I've never had an argument with them. At least not in recent history: they were more sticky in past, but that was maybe 30 years back.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another Prime (and Gen4 Pri) windshield bites the dust. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been there and done that to my PRIME when there were no aftermarket windshield available on market yet. At least there seems to be some aftermarket parts available now. I appreciate noise reduction by acoustic windshield. But have to wonder if OEM windshield that is so thin and prone to chips and cracks is better than aftermarket one in this case.:rolleyes:

4. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I looked at both windshields and they are both the same thickness, or thinness in this case. The plastic laminating layer is slightly different in appearance from the edge.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a similar situation. I told the insurance company that I need Toyota Glass. Which was fine as they could not find any aftermarket glass for my car. It took two weeks to get here. I did not need calibration. The LDA and automatic wipers work fine. I don't know if they made the adjustments when they installed the windshield. It was not listed on the work order, but it took between three and four hours for the entire process.

6. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will be in the same ballpark as you. My windscreen cracked and I have been putting off the replacement. The ding is on the passenger side and not in my field of view. I agree that the windshield is very thin and fragile.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say, good advice to everyone.
    A little over a year ago I suffered a crack in my Honda Fit windshield. It's a simpler replacement with no camera or safety equipment built in. BUT....
    I went through Safelite, and I think they did a great job with replacement, but they did not replace with original OEM glass. And while I'm happy "enough", I don't think this windshield is as good. What I notice (perhaps imagine) is much more reflection from the dashboard.

I like Safelite for their experience in installation but..I think if I had to do it over again, I'd hold out and lobby for OEM replacement.

8. g3eno

g3eno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had to replace my Prime's windshield earlier this year. I went through Safelite via my insurance, as I have a $50 glass deductible. Safelite at the time did not offer an aftermarket windshield, only OEM. The OEM glass took about 7 days to come into Safelite. They calibrated it and I was good to go. No issues.